Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease purchase option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SlimJim

Jul 25, 2019
USA
Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 6.58.20 PM.png

Everyone who thought they'd have this robotaxi nonsense as a real-world product by the time Model 3 leases were expiring was either in a legalized-cannabis location or breaking the law.

Tesla doesn't want to have a bunch of ex-lease Model 3s sitting on their property for the next bunch of years, after that they will turn out to need hardware upgrades for driverless operations anyway.

Last edited:
I received this email today. Judging by the residual value, compared to what used examples are selling for.. I'm DEFINITELY buying at the end of the lease if it is offered.

Always figured they should be paying me for leasing a model 3 if it is indeed going to be worth $300k due to robo taxi. You know, Purchase price - residual, divided by term.

Last edited:
I received this email today. Judging by the residual value, compared to what used examples are selling for.. I'm DEFINITELY buying at the end of the lease if it is offered.

Always figured they should be paying me for leasing a model 3 if it is indeed going to be worth $300k due to robo taxi. You know, Purchase price - residual, divided by term.

Having a purchase option at all, and a purchase option at the residual, are two different things. I've never leased with Tesla, so I'm curious how you even know the residual?

The lease paperwork bases the payments off of the purchase price, less the 'residual value' they've assigned and is not negotiable. That number is plainly written on the lease agreement. In about 10 different locations I read a buy at the end of the lease was not available, and I am OK with that. However, I'll have paid for half of this car over 3 years. Early 2018 Model 3s are not devalued to half price.. not even close. I'll buy if offered and subsequently resell. Same calculation everyone would do at the end of a lease.

theyve got all this inventory on their balance sheet with decent lease payments coming in...and then the music stop. pretty sure theyre going to want to get that nice lumpsum payments to show better short term cash flow

Everyone who thought they'd have this robotaxi nonsense as a real-world product by the time Model 3 leases were expiring was either in a legalized-cannabis location or breaking the law.

Tesla doesn't want to have a bunch of ex-lease Model 3s sitting on their property for the next bunch of years, after that they will turn out to need hardware upgrades for driverless operations anyway.

Regardless, we are about 2 years way from that, so perhaps Tesla are preparing the ground.

One other option people are missing is lease extension.

I am still waiting for OP to confirm that this is something that is being offered to him or someone else on a model 3, specifically.

It's a generic email which is causing a lot of interest, because people are interpreting it's discussion about lease-end purchases as implying that Tesla might be considering that for Model 3 and Y. They are already available for Model S and X.