Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leather gone? All interior options vegan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is 'vegan leather' sorta like 'used virgin'?

Oxymoronic...

In any case, fabric is better for comfort. Don't believe it? Try some leather underwear...
True, fabric might be more comfortable, but at least you launder your underwear after each use. Fabric feels dirty to me as it ages. There's no good way to get all of that sweat, dust and spilled coffee out of it, and the foam it covers.

Reactions: croman
The only reason I've always made a point to get real leather in my cars is breathability - I find anything that's not leather (including fabric and synthetic leather) to feel hot and sticky on the back. Wonder how well the new materials fare in that regard - I know the front seats in the X are perforated, which is typically how the non-breathability issue has been mitigated with synthetic seats in the past, but what about the other seats? Can anyone with the white seats in their X speak to their comfort?

• Helpful
Reactions: Magomboman
It's not just the leather is gone. They changed the packages. Air Suspension is now standard. And they rolled the premium sound and subzero into the Premium Interior option and priced it at $5,000. I think it was $3,500 for the interior, $2,000 for sound and $1,000 for subzero before. So a fair discount, but no way to get them a la carte.

I would miss the comfort of cow. The cows at Chick-fil-A should create their own Tesla advertising campaign. Elon could serve up Chick-fil-A at a future event. Personally, I still love the creamy white leather interior of the 2012 Signature Model S. The cream synthetic color is a great decision from the designers at Tesla. Well done!

One thing I wouldn't miss with synthetic cream is the color transfer concern. I sit on a tan pillow case to keep the perforated tan leather in the 2017 MS looking like new. A cream colored hand towel in the 2012 preserved those leather seats and they look great. Maybe luxury leather will reappear in a future ultra luxury MS? I'd consider one if it was the quietest and smoothest production car on the market.

Jelloslug, did you get your Ultrafabrics samples in yet? As for Electroman's question on cleaning cloth fabric seats, don't you clean them just like you would upholstered furniture?

I was actually kind of shocked to read the article at the beginning of this thread about Tesla dropping leather. I personally like leather in my car. And I love our soft black perforated seats in our MS. We drove in high 90-100 degree weather recently on a trip and with the vented seats on didn't feel the seats sticking at all to my back or legs. Find it hard to believe your bare skin in shorts wouldn't stick to the this faux leather non-vented material in hot and/or humid weather. I see that the Ultrafabrics material is certified for low chemical emissions (probably just like low-VOC wall paint), but for someone who is sensitive to chemicals I still prefer to go the leather route; and yes, I know they use dyes and such in the leather production too. However I've never had a reaction to leather material, whereas I have detected irritating chemicals in faux material. I bought a faux leather case for my iPad that I actually like a lot and has a great feel and has held up really well but it did still have some offgasing for several months that I could detect. Guessing it's a similar material to the material that Tesla is using. In any event still prefer the leather option and not something made of chemicals.

Jelloslug, did you get your Ultrafabrics samples in yet? As for Electroman's question on cleaning cloth fabric seats, don't you clean them just like you would upholstered furniture?

I was actually kind of shocked to read the article at the beginning of this thread about Tesla dropping leather. I personally like leather in my car. And I love our soft black perforated seats in our MS. We drove in high 90-100 degree weather recently on a trip and with the vented seats on didn't feel the seats sticking at all to my back or legs. Find it hard to believe your bare skin in shorts wouldn't stick to the this faux leather non-vented material in hot and/or humid weather. I see that the Ultrafabrics material is certified for low chemical emissions (probably just like low-VOC wall paint), but for someone who is sensitive to chemicals I still prefer to go the leather route; and yes, I know they use dyes and such in the leather production too. However I've never had a reaction to leather material, whereas I have detected irritating chemicals in faux material. I bought a faux leather case for my iPad that I actually like a lot and has a great feel and has held up really well but it did still have some offgasing for several months that I could detect. Guessing it's a similar material to the material that Tesla is using. In any event still prefer the leather option and not something made of chemicals.
I was notified that they shipped today. I ordered a swatch card and a swatch sample of the black material.

@SMAlset - are you sure the ventilated panels on the MS seats are in fact leather?
I think they might well be imitation.

either way they crease really easily which I assume is why Tesla withdrew them, hopefully to re-introduce modified ones soon.

We ordered the PUP package along with our Premium Leather seat interior option and the PUP description at the time said they were leather. The order was 12/31/16 and a short time later Tesla pulled the vented leather seats.

We have some creasing in our front seats where we sit all the time and honestly we don't see this as a problem with soft leather. Everyone's bottom will depress the soft leather (or any fabric really but more so I think for a thinner soft leather) seat differently so IMO there needs to be some flexibility to it being stitched to the adjacent bolstering and such. Better that than ripping the leather skin if too tight. If you have a firm foam underneath the material and where the seat itself doesn't move much you can probably get away with tighter stitching on the leather pieces since the seat won't depress much. But then the reason we went for the vented seats in part was because it gave a softer feel when sitting on it as opposed to the firm, stiff feel of the other seats we sat in at the showroom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Z and thegruf