Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leave J1772 adapter plugged in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At work we have some free charging spaces but they're only accessible by the attendants that shuffle cars around and ensure as many as possible can get some juice. I get to work before they do but they'll plug in any car that's there when they arrive as long as the owner comes down with a key when they get in.

If I parked there and plugged in my J1772 adapter to keep the port open, would the car start charging as soon as they plug in even if the car is locked and the key is not present?

Yes, I believe that it will. I was staying at a hotel with a J1772 charger that wasn’t working. The front desk clerk and I spent some time playing around with it, but we couldn’t get it to charge. Eventually the clerk said that he would call maintenance to take a look at it. The spot was marked as “EV Charging only” and was a good spot near the front door, so I didn’t want to look like a jerk who just parked in that spot and didn’t charge, so I left the charger plugged in even though it wasn’t working. Later that night the front desk called and said that maintenance had gotten the charger to work (apparently the circuit breaker was off) and I checked the app and saw that the car was charging happily.

Reactions: Mokuzai
In my 2013 S. I believe it does (as long as it's set to charge on plug in as opposed to timed charging) I use J1772 to adapter at home on an old CT-500 (30A) that's been installed longer than the car's been produced.

Yes it starts charging when the EVSE plugs into the J1772 adapter, just as it would when the Tesla connector plugs into the charge port. I’ve done this at an airport lot with shared EV charging spaces. It’s “plug and play”, or am I dating myself with that old computer jargon?

• Informative