Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leave radio on with no butts on any seats and car locked!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay...so I'm very proud of this one! Hopefully it's reproducible and wasn't just a fluke!

i hand wash my car (weekly so far) and I usually (for my past vehicles) would crank up the radio so I can listen to music while giving the car a wash. As you all may have experienced...this is not possible in the model S....OR IS IT?!?!?!??

i reverse parked into parking garage and had to park really close to the wall on the drivers side b/c my kind neighbor (sarcasm) parked encroaching my parking space. To get out I slid over to passenger side and got out through passenger door (this would be annoying/difficult in an ICE vehicle but really wasn't to hard I. The model S :)

I closed the door and my radio was still playing (to my surprise). I locked my car with the key fob ONLY b/c radio was playing (usually radio stops and usually I just walk away and allow auto lock). Much to my surprise the radio stayed on!!!

I immediately surmised that not only is tesla using a butt sensor but they are also using a sensor for the drivers side door to let the car know the driver is a goner and you can shut down. I walked around and opened and then closed my drivers side door and the radio went off immediately! (I could only open the door a few inches b/c of the wall so it didn't need to be opened very far....).

Like I said...hope it's not a fluke. If not...will work great for car washing at home with music on. And...if you have passengers in back seat who wanna stay put and listen to radio may be useful too although you (and possibly a front passenger) would have to exit through the passenger side. I'd love to have to explain that one to all the gawkers staring at your $100k vehicle :)

I agree with previous posts that there should be some sort of convenience setting to allow car to day on despite no butt in seat and despite driver door opening....