Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving MY 2021 for 6 weeks at 90% battery at car port (Not charging)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TesMY

Tesla enthusiast
Jun 9, 2021
Seattle
Leaving my Model Y 2021 in cold weather (Seattle) parked in car port for 6 weeks, battery was at 90% 3 weeks back and no access to charging. Is it safe to leave it like that in cold weather (Seattle is going to experience the coldest weather in a decade, around 12F), charging dropped 2% in a week, haven't checked the app in about 2 weeks now. I need to stay away for another 3 weeks.

Leaving my Model Y 2021 in cold weather (Seattle) parked in car port for 6 weeks, battery was at 90% 3 weeks back and no access to charging. Is it safe to leave it like that in cold weather (Seattle is going to experience the coldest weather in a decade, around 12F), charging dropped 2% in a week, haven't checked the app in about 2 weeks now. I need to stay away for another 3 weeks.
After 6 weeks in cold weather, I would expect the battery will be low/dead upon return.

If you were only losing 2% per week previously, it wasn’t that cold. For reference, in the northeast, I lose about 2% per day.

After 6 weeks in cold weather, I would expect the battery will be low/dead upon return.

If you were only losing 2% per week previously, it wasn’t that cold. For reference, in the northeast, I lose about 2% per day.
The power consumption won’t increase just because it’s colder; the only thing the car is doing is maintaining the computer system in standby.

A cold batter has reduced capacity to deliver current but as long as it’s not so cold that the battery coolant freezes there should be no other adverse effects.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The power consumption won’t increase just because it’s colder; the only thing the car is doing is maintaining the computer system in standby.

A cold batter has reduced capacity to deliver current but as long as it’s not so cold that the battery coolant freezes there should be no other adverse effects.
I don’t think that’s all that is happening in 12 degree weather.

There must be some battery heating going on.

Why do you say that? The cold will slow down chemical reactions but as long as the electrolyte and coolant don’t freeze there’s no harm and no reason to warm the battery.
Because this has been tested. So where is the energy going if not to battery maintenance?

Because this has been tested. So where is the energy going if not to battery maintenance?

"Excluding Sentry Mode usage, the estimated loss of range is only 5% according to the owner’s estimate." ... Are you going to listen to some rando on the internet about battery usage? :)

There are many problems with the article. Battery usage due to sentry is well known, and it certainly won't increase due to cold weather. The 9% they seem so alarmed about is only temporary, and won't get any worse day over day. Once the battery is cold, it is cold. It might lose another few percent(again, temporarily) as the temperature drops further, but no big deal.

OP has already stated he lost 2% in a solid week, even if that jumps to 10% in a week he'll be returning to a battery with 38% left. I'm also absolutely positive that seattle won't be at 12F for the next three weeks.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and glide
"Excluding Sentry Mode usage, the estimated loss of range is only 5% according to the owner’s estimate." ... Are you going to listen to some rando on the internet about battery usage? :)

There are many problems with the article. Battery usage due to sentry is well known, and it certainly won't increase due to cold weather. The 9% they seem so alarmed about is only temporary, and won't get any worse day over day. Once the battery is cold, it is cold. It might lose another few percent(again, temporarily) as the temperature drops further, but no big deal.

OP has already stated he lost 2% in a solid week, even if that jumps to 10% in a week he'll be returning to a battery with 38% left. I'm also absolutely positive that seattle won't be at 12F for the next three weeks.
You ask if I’m going to listen to “some rando on the internet” and then proceed to use a single forum post as your source.

Mmmmkay.

You ask if I’m going to listen to “some rando on the internet” and then proceed to use a single forum post as your source.

Mmmmkay.
Did you not see the smiley face at the end of the line?

And yes, I quoted from a single forum poster, who happened to be the OP and therefore most likely the most knowledgeable about his particular vehicle's energy usage.

Yes here its not much colder like the NE, but I was specifically worried about the cold wave dropping the temperatures to 12F for 2 to 3 days. Its getting better from Jan 1st though.

Reactions: mark95476

Several problems. First the statement that the number of dots indicates how cold the battery is is not accurate; it shows the availability of regenerative braking but that is not a direct indication of battery temperature and there are other factors at play.

The temperature was approximately 0º F/-18º C - that’s enough colder than the 12º F that the OP was expecting that the battery may actually have to warm itself. (The references I’ve seen are that the coolant is good down to about -5º F, but I’m not positive on that.) But it turns out that’s not even an issue…

The author also left sentry mode enabled and actually noted that it had defrosted the cameras. Sentry mode is known to use roughly 7% per day so that alone would account for about 5% of battery usage, likely more if it had to actively defrost the cameras. According to the author”The Tesla Model 3 lost 44 km (9%) of range including the cold blue inactive portion of the battery” and he then estimated that roughly half of that was simply reserved battery capacity from the battery being cold.

So 9% lost range overnight ÷ 2 = 4.5% actual battery usage - 5% for sentry mode = 0 (+/- 0.5%)

Like @Sophias_dad said - the ‘lost‘ charge from the battery being cold is a constant. It doesn’t increase from day to day and it returns once the battery is warm. The OP stated s/he loses 2% per week (and now 3% in 3 weeks) I think it’s a safe bet the car will be fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
As if anyone is going to believe your anti-Tesla trolling... 😆😅

Mmmmkay.

Yeah, you're wrong again. No surprise.

Update: Checked the app (2nd time in 3 weeks), just lost 1 % in about 2 weeks, so total 3% in 3 weeks, a big relief! Hopefully it can get through the bitter cold week :)

Update: The brutal cold wave is over, and the battery percentage is still dropping at about 1-2% a week, now I wonder if there was any charge used for battery maintenance at cold weather (12F)
Probably not. It's all conjecture based on indirect evidence but as people said before, the cold affects the efficiency of the battery but doesn't actually use any energy from it. The only thing that would require extra energy is if the car needed to heat it to prevent the electrolyte or coolant from freezing. I've seen different posts on this but nothing with any definitive information from Tesla.