Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left headlight bulb and ballast replacement, hopefully not a wiring issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For months I've been getting a left headlight malfunction detected. This would happen very sporadically maybe once every week or two. I even got pulled over getting off the NY Thruway to get to the Hudson NY Supercharger. In Lights I hit Parking, then On and it fires right back up every time.

Of course it couldn't be recreated while it was still under warranty, which since lapsed. This past month it's constantly making me switch to parking lights mode (don't do OFF, this turns tail lights off too!) and back to ON to get it to come back on. Multiple times per trip.

I have new bulbs and ballasts, I hope that fixes it and it's not a wiring issue further upstream.

These alerts don't stay in the history, but it happened probably half a dozen times in 30 minutes.

Attachments

• 20230717_182001.jpg
    20230717_182001.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 324
Had same with one of my headlamps on my '15 85D. Replaced lamp and all has been good since. It's recommended replacing both lamps at the same time. I didn't since the other side had just had the whole headlight assembly replaced due to a deer hit. The new lamp was noticeably brighter.

Meant to update - I replaced just the left bulb before a long trip two weeks ago, and no headlight errors occured!

Pic of new vs old bulb since I only had time to replace the one faulty one before my trip.

Attachments

• 20230804_090321.jpg
    20230804_090321.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 107
Interestingly enough I'm also in upstate NY with 2015 85D that has an intermittent left HID failure that works after restart.

I guess I was under the impression that it would be the ballast that was the problem.

So it seems under these conditions the bulb is usually the issue? I haven't shopped for one yet. Is there much difference between whatever different versions I find for sale?

I'm in the same boat. Don't know what it is about the left headlight that seems to be more problematic but perhaps there's something going on. It started about a year ago on our 11/13 built S85 (original bulbs/ballasts) and seems to come and go in spurts. A quick off/on from the MCU menu hasn't failed yet. I'll replace them one day but would love to know what the problem actually is.

Interestingly enough I'm also in upstate NY with 2015 85D that has an intermittent left HID failure that works after restart.

I guess I was under the impression that it would be the ballast that was the problem.

So it seems under these conditions the bulb is usually the issue? I haven't shopped for one yet. Is there much difference between whatever different versions I find for sale?
Our trip was to Howe Caverns, Cooperstown, watkins glen and corning. First two I went as a kid, second two I had never been to.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to replace the other bulb just to prevent a future issue. How much are the bulbs?

Joe
My bulbs are labeled OSRAM but the ballasts have this amateur labelmaker "Made in China" label over the regular label. The ebay seller said that was to save on import duties. Kind of sketchy but I didn't replace the ballasts yet.

Yes would be best to change the other bulb too so that they're the same color temperature and brightness. Been too stormy/hot/humid lately to do work that doesn't absolutely need to be done though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230805_210736_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230805_210736_eBay.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 88
I'm having the same problem, and I found the above very useful. I didn't know about switching to parking lights and back to headlights; we've had to stop and park to reset the light. I'll replace the bulb soon.

Oh, and too bad on not getting it fixed under the warranty. They should have been able to see the alerts in the history, but at least replacing a headlight shouldn't be too expensive. Now to see if I can manage it without paying someone else to do it.