Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S Headlight Out (New Bulb, Ballast, and Assembly)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title says it all, bulb started flickering and going out. Off and on would reset and it’d fire for about another 2 minutes. While new bulb was in the mail it went out for good. Changed bulb, no luck. Moved to the ballast. Changed that to no avail. Talked to Tesla, they said it would be the assembly. Bought used one from eBay, changed today. Still no headlight. What’re the chances the eBay assembly is a faulty part?…. Or is there a ghost in my wires headed to the light. Figured I’d post on here to see others experience, much more of a macro engineer than a micro. Aka, not the best at tracing wires with volt meters/understanding schematics. Any discussion will help, it’s my first EV, still getting acquainted with it, mechanically.

Title says it all, bulb started flickering and going out. Off and on would reset and it’d fire for about another 2 minutes. While new bulb was in the mail it went out for good. Changed bulb, no luck. Moved to the ballast. Changed that to no avail. Talked to Tesla, they said it would be the assembly. Bought used one from eBay, changed today. Still no headlight. What’re the chances the eBay assembly is a faulty part?…. Or is there a ghost in my wires headed to the light. Figured I’d post on here to see others experience, much more of a macro engineer than a micro. Aka, not the best at tracing wires with volt meters/understanding schematics. Any discussion will help, it’s my first EV, still getting acquainted with it, mechanically.
I am having the same issue and have gone through everything except for the ballasts. New bulbs and ‘new’ eBay assembly. I was disappointed to find NO SOLUTION online. Tested my old passenger light on driver harness and it works fine as well as the new assembly. Tested fuse box 3 fuse 78 and 79. No help. I am about to check the grounds, apparently that’s next to do.

Upvote 0
About 16 months ago mine started to do the same thing. The drive side would just go out, I would turn the lights off then on and it would be ok for 2-20min then turn off again. I replaced the bulbs (better to do both at the same time) and its been working great since. Could be you received a bad bulb.

Upvote 0