Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Let me leave home without FOB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I recently got locked out of my 2018 MX. I didn't realize it when I left home but I did not have my FOB on me and I had left my phone in the car. When I got out of the car at my destination it automatically locked the doors and I had no way to get in. I eventually was able to use someone else's phone to download the app and sign in to unlock my car. My question is since I don't have the phone as key option, how did it let me "start" the car and drive away from home without the FOB? Ends up I can't find the FOB anywhere at home so I'm using the app on my phone to let me drive when I'm away from home but it lets me leave home every time without the app or the FOB. Any thoughts?
Thanks a bunch!

Hello all, I recently got locked out of my 2018 MX. I didn't realize it when I left home but I did not have my FOB on me and I had left my phone in the car. When I got out of the car at my destination it automatically locked the doors and I had no way to get in. I eventually was able to use someone else's phone to download the app and sign in to unlock my car. My question is since I don't have the phone as key option, how did it let me "start" the car and drive away from home without the FOB? Ends up I can't find the FOB anywhere at home so I'm using the app on my phone to let me drive when I'm away from home but it lets me leave home every time without the app or the FOB. Any thoughts?
Thanks a bunch!
The missing fob is inside the car.

Upvote 0
The missing fob is inside the car.
It theoretically shouldn't lock if the fob is inside the car unless there is some setting to allow that (I don't recall one, that seems unlikely). It also shouldn't behave differently in terms of allowing driving / detecting the fob in the car in different locations if the fob is in the car. In spite of those things, I agree, this seems like the most likely explanation. A slightly less likely explanation that could potentially explain the behaivor is that the fob is in (or on) a drain (or garage door opener or something) under (or over) the spot where the car is consistently parked at home such that it is detected as inside the car only when parked there (vs simply being "at home").

Upvote 0
It theoretically shouldn't lock if the fob is inside the car unless there is some setting to allow that (I don't recall one, that seems unlikely). It also shouldn't behave differently in terms of allowing driving / detecting the fob in the car in different locations if the fob is in the car. In spite of those things, I agree, this seems like the most likely explanation. A slightly less likely explanation that could potentially explain the behaivor is that the fob is in (or on) a drain (or garage door opener or something) under (or over) the spot where the car is consistently parked at home such that it is detected as inside the car only when parked there (vs simply being "at home").
Interesting thought and I had thought about the missing fob being inside the car but that doesn't explain why it lets me leave only when I'm home. Plus I looked all through out the car for it. I will have to look all around outside where I park. Another thing I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on, I went in the app to possibly order a new fob if it came down to it and when I click on it it says this fob isn't compatible with any vehicle in your account. Says the same for the key card (that one is obviously correct). Had anyone encountered that? It says Model X fey fob and the vehicle in my account has to be the correct one for everything else to be working.

Upvote 0
The only explanation that makes sense is that your fob is somewhere close to where you were parked at home. Probably no more than 10 ft at most. See if it lets you drive when you're back in that spot, then if you can't find it, start moving the car further away until it locks when you leave, giving you a search area.

BTW, didn't you get two fobs when you bought it? We did.

Upvote 0
The only explanation that makes sense is that your fob is somewhere close to where you were parked at home. Probably no more than 10 ft at most. See if it lets you drive when you're back in that spot, then if you can't find it, start moving the car further away until it locks when you leave, giving you a search area.

Thats a pretty great idea to test. I bought it used and it only had one fob. It was from a non - tesla dealer. I'm going to do some searching around that area after work.

Upvote 0
The car will not automatically lock if there is a key inside, which means you are likely leaving the car unlocked. But you can manually lock the car, with a fob inside.

Reactions: m5james
Upvote 0
Interesting thought and I had thought about the missing fob being inside the car but that doesn't explain why it lets me leave only when I'm home. Plus I looked all through out the car for it. I will have to look all around outside where I park. Another thing I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on, I went in the app to possibly order a new fob if it came down to it and when I click on it it says this fob isn't compatible with any vehicle in your account. Says the same for the key card (that one is obviously correct). Had anyone encountered that? It says Model X fey fob and the vehicle in my account has to be the correct one for everything else to be working.
If you have a legacy X, you will need to open a service ticket to purchase a new key. Only refresh X (and S) allow for using fobs from the web site. Tech is completely different and they must be programmed by a Service Center.

Upvote 0

This happened to me yesterday. A dashboard warning said no key in car, if I stopped I could not restart car. I drove home and found the fob.

The warning popped up less than a mile from home. Would have been extremely annoying to be locked out. 2018 X

Upvote 0
This happened to me yesterday. A dashboard warning said no key in car, if I stopped I could not restart car. I drove home and found the fob.

The warning popped up less than a mile from home. Would have been extremely annoying to be locked out. 2018 X
I've had it happen when my wife had me drive her to the store in her car, and I didn't pick up my fob for her car beforehand (normally sits in a desk). I dropped her off at the store and as soon as she walked away (with the fob in her purse) I got the alert. Had to use the app when it was time to pick her up.:)

Upvote 0
Just wanted to let you all know that I found the fob! It was laying in the grass about 6-8 ft from the car. Still works after being snowed and rained on for days.
20231101_163202.jpg

Upvote 0
I thought I had hidden my fob in a safe place before going to burning man. The problem is I could not remember where I put the thing when we came back. I searched for several days having to use my wife's fob to get about. I did finally find it in a safe place... Reading the above makes me glad I didn't just get another fob.

Upvote 0