Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less regen since 2019.36.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My regen has been limited since I updated to 2019.36.2.1
The power use / regen bar below the indicted speed shows dots for about half of the left part of the regen section. It is especially noticeable when lifting off the throttle from say 60mph - not much happens compared with the past. Things do not change over a 25 mile journey. I've got the option set to allow regen down to zero mph.
The weather has been colder (7 deg C) which will have an effect. Anybody else noticed this?

When it gets even colder the power line will also be limited similar to regen.

when it returns depends on how long and how hard you drive. There was a video from Bjørn showing one way to warm it (the battery) quickly (kangaroo-like driving. Floor it, lift off, floor it, etc). Since then we now have supercharger preconditioning and scheduled departure conditioning.

some say charging the battery before you leave for the morning also helps but IME, definitely no benefit from 2kW granny-cable charging.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricJoules
This morning’s drive in to the office was at an average of -3 degrees. Model 3 was on charge and pre heated (21 degrees). At outset the range was 268 miles, 26 miles later range was 218.

The energy consumption suggested a range of 93 miles. 5, 15 and 30 all pretty similar range.

Broadly getting 1 real mile to every 2 miles quoted.

How do you find the range when below 0c?

My Model 3 has only got down to 2c today and the range and performance drops a lot. Does it get progresively worse when under 0c or is there not much difference?

It doesn't particularly seem to reduce in proportion. There's a general drop, which I put down to using some heating but I don't think there's a noticeable difference from driving at 5 or 6 degrees. I should say that we haven't taken any long trips at these temperatures yet and the driving so far has been done on country roads with no higher speeds. I put the full defrost on the car this morning for no more than 10 minutes ... it was fun to watch the car transform from a total frosty thing into a Model 3! Door handle needed some persuasion but did work. I've just applied the Gummy Pfledge stuff to reduce window sticking. It's worth switching off the auto wipers the night before ... however everything was actually defrosted very successfully so they hadn't stuck down. My wife took the car on a round trip journey of 40 miles that included a few miles of untreated single track and described the driving as totally normal, no slippage at all, despite being in a totally white winter wonderland! (winter tyres on).

This morning’s drive in to the office was at an average of -3 degrees. Model 3 was on charge and pre heated (21 degrees). At outset the range was 268 miles, 26 miles later range was 218.

The energy consumption suggested a range of 93 miles. 5, 15 and 30 all pretty similar range.

Broadly getting 1 real mile to every 2 miles quoted.

As many others also recommend .. switch to percentage rather than miles! The miles prediction is not going to be realistic ... as with every other car... I told the story on here before about my Fiesta going from a predicted 41 miles to a predicted 26 miles remaining whilst coasting 1 mile down a hill with the engine ticking over and gears in neutral. At least battery percentage is a real thing ... the miles prediction cannot possibly anticipate your future journey.

It's worth switching off the auto wipers the night before ...

Another tip I heard was put them in wiper maintenance mode. That way they park themselves over the warming windscreen. Bit of a faff if you ask me - shame its not part of the drop windows slightly if cold update that doesn't seem particularly useful under many circumstances either.

Frozen handle and windows.

Last edited:
My Model 3 has only got down to 2c today and the range and performance drops a lot. Does it get progresively worse when under 0c or is there not much difference?

Can't comment on Performance, but consumption will increase dramatically with lower temperatures ... on short journeys. Same for ICE of course. But on long journeys you only have that set-off energy penalty once, and for the duration of a long trip that won't be significant. My (Model-S) Winter consumption on long journeys has been about 10% less than Summer (rain and/or driving into a headwind has same impact on range Summer or Winter).

Similar conversations on here, recently, have suggested that Model-3 may have bigger Summer / Winter difference for long-journey consumption (than Model-S)

So if you can charge at home then short journeys won't be any problem ... although some increase "fuel cost" nothing in comparison to ICE - and max-range long-journeys are likely to be 10% - 20% less total range than Summer