Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the $30 one hour subscription, can you download all the manuals to use later?

Well, not easily. The current format of the manuals makes it difficult to save them for later at any sort of speed. You have to grab them page by page. You might not be able to get all of the pages you're interested in in a single hour. Then again, maybe you've got the fastest fingers in the west or a website scraper or something. But, I am pretty convinced that they don't want you to do it.

Annnnd... Tesla's Toolbox website is down, including the app, just as I was about to use my hacked together ethernet cable to check things out, rats! as Charlie Brown would say. Anybody else having the same issue?

When I try to go to toolbox.teslamotors.com it tells me that the connection has been reset. There is no webpage served any longer. Also, previously it allowed me to use my login for Toolbox even after my paid access to the service site expired. Now it tells me the access token has expired and to connect to the internet to fix it.

So, I'm guessing they made a mistake in allowing general access to that program and they have subsequently fixed it. I feared that the posts on this forum about it would clue them in and cause them to realize what happened. Of course, they had plenty of other ways to figure it out as well. Now everyone is locked out again. But, it was fun while it lasted. I never had a p-can device to use with it anyway.

So, I'm guessing they made a mistake in allowing general access to that program and they have subsequently fixed it. I feared that the posts on this forum about it would clue them in and cause them to realize what happened. Of course, they had plenty of other ways to figure it out as well. Now everyone is locked out again. But, it was fun while it lasted. I never had a p-can device to use with it anyway.

I think there is just an issue with the website. They may or may not be changing the general access, however authorized body shops will still have to access it somehow.

I think there is just an issue with the website. They may or may not be changing the general access, however authorized body shops will still have to access it somehow.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that they were locking out body shops, just the rest of us. But, it still could just be a momentary glitch.

I'm sure one of the bright minds on this forum can figure out how to trick the Toolbox into believing it has a valid token.

Well, this is a dangerous thing to say. If anyone did do that I'd imagine they wouldn't broadcast any details or ever admit it.

I have a daily and yearly subscription available. Not able to download and use toolbox.
To enable the Ethernet port for Toolbox use you also need to enter a code in another application that is generated on the site.
This is not available on the regular daily and yearly subscriptions either.
Looks like you need to be an approved tesla shop or body shop to get it.

How are you others getting it?

I've been working on my own CAN3 interface. Seems to be working well. It uses a R Pi3 with PICAN2 shield. Features wifi connectivity and apache HTTP with python cgi displaying the collected data. It receives power from the 12 V line on the connector. So far I have main BMS energy parameters and I have essentially replicated the functionality provided by Jack's and BlackKnight's CAN due program. Don't expect anything too crazy or awesome as I'm just an amateur coder. No formal training whatsoever. Will be releasing source code on GitHub (apach3guy) within 48 hours.

Wow. You have the old center-KW display! I'm stuck with a permanent Autopilot cartoon, whether using it, or not :mad:.

What format are the line-outs in? RCA, or just shielded wire? Is Sirius XM coming from its own hardware, or is it integral to the MCU?

One future problem with these cars is the MCU's part price, of $5,000. I worry multiple T-shoot paths in the future will lead to "Replace MCU".

Im glad that im not the only one who hates the autopilot cartoon - looks like a cheap 80s computer game. Elon the old center kW display was the one that looked like a Starship!!! Speed + kW + regenerative braking in a display you can look at out of the corner of your eye - a graphic display is MUCH better to read this way than a number speed thing!
One of the downsides of Tesla seems to be OTA updates ... screwing up what you liked - not OTA updates fixing something / giving you something new!