Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's be safe on the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was debating if I should post this when I saw the update on @tchockie's thread, and decided it might benefit someone if I can get even one more person to be a more careful driver.

Yesterday around 9:15am, when I was driving to a important business meeting, a Model S swerved in front of me with inches to spare. I had to break really hard to avoid hitting her. It was raining and we were under a tornado warning. I was in the right lane of a 4 lane local road, with plenty of cars around. My lane cleared out briefly because of an addition turning lane just appeared, and I picked up some speed to catch the green light. That's when this beautiful Model S made the sudden move, and almost lost her rear quarter of the car. I remembered the model and license plate, and when I caught up, I even took a look at the lady driver. She has a lighted front T emblem. It appears to me that she loves her car. Had it not been the effective BMW break, both of us would have been in quite a bit of agony.

I wasn't driving my Model S, but in my trusted BMW 5. I remembered a co-worker used to say that "all BMW drivers are jerks". I tried really hard not to be one of those drivers for the 10+ years I was in my BMW. I'd be really happy if I don't hear a similar stereotypical label on us Model S drivers.

We have a super nice car, let's enjoy it, but let's be safe first!

I bet that you were passing on the right, it isn't the car that causes problems on the road, it is the operator's skills and mindset that does. only the more simple minded try to correlate driving skills with brand ownership.

I bet that you were passing on the right, .

Thanks for being a police to look for fault in my driving. For a moment, I didn't know how to respond to such an accusation. But then, the NC law states:

§ 20-150.1. When passing on the right is permitted.
(3) Upon a one-way street, or upon a highway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement when such street or highway is free from obstructions and is of sufficient width and is marked for two or more lanes of moving vehicles which are not occupied by parked vehicles;

I had every right to pass her on the right.

However, you also missed my point: being in an accident with a Model S is the last thing I want to see.

T
I had every right to pass her on the right.
you might have a right to pass on the right like you did, but that doesn't make it a safe or the right thing to do. disparity of speed is one of the leading causes of crashes and you admit that you sped up to "make a light".
the big shame of your post is that you don't understand your culpability in this incident.
However, you also missed my point: being in an accident with a Model S is the last thing I want to see.
I would not care to have a crash regardless of the model of vehicle involved.

you might have a right to pass on the right like you did, but that doesn't make it a safe or the right thing to do. disparity of speed is one of the leading causes of crashes and you admit that you sped up to "make a light".
the big shame of your post is that you don't understand your culpability in this incident.I would not care to have a crash regardless of the model of vehicle involved.

If my reminder is of no use to you, please ignore. The only "shame" I feel is to get into a meaningless word fight with someone I don't even know on the internet.

Tbh I have had some bad luck with accidents. First 2 in my youth were my fault. But since then, I've been in 5 accidents all 100% not my fault. Like what happened to my new Tesla the day after got it. Can't wait til we live in an accident free world. But sometimes, you do everything right and *sugar* still happens.

Having said that, I've been seeing a lot of MS in SoCal driving crazy! Its like they see me and want to show off. I'm like, uh, i have the same car as you?

only the more simple minded try to correlate driving skills with brand ownership.

Is there a reason you have be derogatory to people who have different point of view than you? Please let's try to keep our comments respectful, in addition to our driving.

There are studies to suggest that certain personality types drive certain vehicle brands (do we really need studies to tell us this?) Certain personality types who have an affinity to certain brands also share certain driving characteristics. For instance, more aggressive drivers are attracted to "muscle" vehicles, more subdued drivers are attracted to a Prius, etc.

Auto Insurance Analysis Does What We Drive Affect How We Drive | Verisk Analytics

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule. But I never see a grandmother cut me off in a Viper. Call me "simple minded".

Last edited:
Ever since I got my Model S three years ago I drive even more carefully, not less, because just the thought of my beloved baby getting dinged would break my heart. I do not pull away from a traffic light until I have made sure no idiot is running the red. Of course, being hit once that way, even if it was in my old Miata and 20 years ago, still leaves me very defensive minded. Does not mean that I drive like a grandma, but just am hyper vigilant.

Having said that, I've been seeing a lot of MS in SoCal driving crazy! Its like they see me and want to show off. I'm like, uh, i have the same car as you?
I'm seeing the same craziness, and its become quite noticeable on the west side. Many still with paper plate holders so I'm chalking it up to recent deliveries and hope they settle down to enjoy their good life before anyone is hurt.