Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets discuss TX 152.090 sales tax exemption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're like me and used the vehicle sales tax deduction on your Federal Income tax then money is owed there. I'm in Dallas County and titled mine in early December 2015. I'll be interested in knowing if Rockster's effort works. Not sure how to handle the federal taxes. I never saw a window sticker for my car, if there was one it was gone when I get it. Anyone have one I can copy for a white 90D?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
On the Federal Taxes and the EV purchase in TX there are up to 3 entries:
*Up to $7500 Tax Credit, comes directly off the amount of taxes owed at the end of the process, can't drive you to a refund.
*Sales Tax deduction since TX has no Income Tax. Use a table or keep track of every little item, I use the table.
*Major purchase Sales tax deduction such as a car, boat(?), ... if the table is used. If you don't pay the taxes then there is nothing to deduct. If you get a refund in the following year I think there are entries for that, can't recall.

I enter everything into Turbotax and it seems to come out right, including the $7500 credit. Hope I didn't confuse too many.

Ok, Texas residents, I've finished filling out the Texas Comptroller form to obtain a refund of sales tax paid and I'm ready to send it in. However, I think I'm facing a steeper battle than Ramshakle (by requesting a refund once they already have my money in their grubby hands versus convincing them not to take it in the first place). Therefore, I'm thinking that I'll have more success if I attach a note from someone with more credibility than I have who will assert that the Tesla is capable of being powered by hydrogen. I'm thinking that a note to that effect from, say, a Texas university professor would be more compelling to a tax weenie than my declaration of the same.

Before I begin shaking the trees to see if I can get a willing university professor to fall out, is anyone out there such a person or do any of you know such a person? I'm happy to coordinate with them and be the guinea pig to test this appeal process, I just want to start with the most credible expert possible.

I'm in Collin county and I'm working on the paperwork now. I've paid sales tax on two Model S's here, so it would be great if this works. I just need to find my Title Application Receipt for one of my two.

Any update on this? About to order here soon and trying to estimate how much I will need to bring to the table in terms of downpayment and tax of course.

I am in Collin county as well and saw your post and if this has worked for others.

Thanks!

Any update on this? About to order here soon and trying to estimate how much I will need to bring to the table in terms of downpayment and tax of course.

I am in Collin county as well and saw your post and if this has worked for others.

Thanks!

There will be no prompt resolution news coming from me. Remember, I've already paid tax, twice: one year ago and again a little over two years ago, so I'm now filing an appeal to obtain a refund for my two purchases. To do so, I'm required to fill out refund request documentation and mail it to the tax office in Austin, who will take two to four weeks to decide my fate.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
OK, so here's the deal: I have a portable 10kW generator that can run on propane, natural gas, hydrogen, or gasoline. The revival of this thread has got me thinking that this can be done with only a little creativity. If I can make a YouTube video of this, it would just be a link you can send to the tax office, or maybe some photos that show the car charging via hydrogen. All I'll need is a tank of hydrogen and regulator to make this work. If I can get back my taxes paid 2.5 years ago, that would be amazing (and if it helps others!)

I'm a bit busy right now, but should be able to hack on something after next week.

I submitted my refund request to the Austin comptroller's office early this week, attaching a DoE document that lists BEV as an application for hydrogen fuel cells. I also included a printout of an email discussion with a technical rep from FuelCell Energy of Danbury, CT. Due to a prolonged delay in the response from FCE to my query, I had to send the email exchange to the Austin headquarters separately a few days later. I'm hoping the tax office will be able to connect the second letter with my refund request that should already be in their system.

We'll see where all this gets me. The form said to allow for a couple of weeks processing time.

I submitted my refund request to the Austin comptroller's office early this week, attaching a DoE document that lists BEV as an application for hydrogen fuel cells. I also included a printout of an email discussion with a technical rep from FuelCell Energy of Danbury, CT. Due to a prolonged delay in the response from FCE to my query, I had to send the email exchange to the Austin headquarters separately a few days later. I'm hoping the tax office will be able to connect the second letter with my refund request that should already be in their system.

We'll see where all this gets me. The form said to allow for a couple of weeks processing time.
Good deal keep us posted on how it goes.