Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's do a spreadsheet for the 31st!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does any one has an answer asked by the spreadsheet user please?

"Has this ever happened before? Like people waiting outside a building to preorder a car?"

I've seen people camp out for department stores, Apple stores... the user is right, how about a car?

Reactions: cdub
As of the end of yesterday, Wednesday 3/23/2016,

Beside Saint Louis, Colorado is gaining ground.
Canadians are the next biggest group starting to self signing up too.

Total so far: 213 signed up.

Manual: SLTE event RSVPs 27
Park Meadows/Denver, CO 11
Montreal-Ferrier, Canada 9
Washington Square, Portland, OR 8
Dallas, TX 7
Scottsdale, AZ Gallery 7
Toronto - Lawrence Ave., Canada 7
Atlanta, GA 6
Natick Mall Mass. 6
Houston, TX Galleria 5
Orlando, FL 5
Santa Monica, CA 5
Austin, TX 4
Cleveland-Lyndhurst, OH 4
Dedham, MA 4
Kansas City, MO 4
New York, NY (Manhattan) 4
Santana Row, San Jose, CA 4

Thanks for the preparation everyone!

Glad to see it grow. I signed up when it was still around 100.. Glad it's continuing to rise and now even featured in a Teslarati article! I also shared it on the Reddit forum a day or 2 ago.

Yes! It's amazing that it's still functional after much damage to the spreadsheet from non-compliant internet users from 2 nights ago.

Thanks everyone for thinking out loud yesterday and we did protect the worksheet nicely last night.

Unless you park in the "premium parking" or valet, it's free.

I did a scouting run this afternoon while I was over at Home Depot and took some pictures...

And for the visual people:

After you turn right onto Speen Street, you're looking for the traffic light immediately before Nieman Marcus (after you pass the Home Depot light, with HD on the left and the EZ Storage on the right). Turn right at this light, just before Nieman Marcus:View attachment 168320

If you're planning to show up early, don't go to the rotary and main entrance as Bokonon suggests above. Turn left into D parking that is just ahead (~100 yards):

View attachment 168317

When you turn into the garage, there's a fork. You can go left (up) or right (down). Go left, up to level D2:

View attachment 168319

At the top of the ramp, look 45 degrees to the left (ie, 10 o'clock). The red glow is the magical ruby entrance, for the 7 am mall walking crowd. Each entrance is enclosed in different colored glass.

View attachment 168318

Take the ruby escalator up one level. Go straight ahead off the escalator and turn left after passing the back corner of the Burberry store and the mall directory sign. To get to the Tesla store, basically walk along following/hugging the right wall until you come to a store with a red car in it. You can't miss it.;)

Bathrooms are immediately after Tesla, down the hall on the right.

When I stopped by this afternoon, I spoke briefly with Brian (?). He said absolutely, positively, they are taking deposits when the store opens at 10am ET. They have been talking with mall security about expecting a crowd (he says the get "a hundred" calls a day about the 31st), but he wasn't sure exactly how early arrivals (between 7 and 10) would be handled.

EDIT - I should add, there is an Apple store in the mall (2 doors down from the Microsoft store), so this can't be the first time giddy tech geeks show up early to line up.
I never expected to get this much info. You guys are awesome and incredibly helpful. See you all there!

Good morning from California!

Would someone please proofreading the FAQ from the worksheet and see if you have any questions or comments.

I did a sample of Federal Tax Credit Phase Out table and I hope it's understandable.

Have a nice day.

Thanks.

My work productivity has gotten dangerously low perusing this site and dreaming about the model 3. The only hint of sadness is that from what others are writing, there is no way I can expect to afford a fully optioned car, and by extension there is a very good chance I will miss out on the tax rebate program. :(

Tam, great idea tracking sign-ups over time. You inspired me to make another chart.

Thanks for another beautiful chart Microfrost.

It shows clearly the pace is picking so much today :)

APIC9rj.jpg

Sorry for feeling down, but if you don't mind, what is your budget?

Would you be willing to take a $64,000 car loan for it?

Hey Tam, no worries, its okay, really, despite my wall of text below. (Sorry, that's just part of my personality, I don't speak this much in person, but I can't seem to stop my fingers when I'm writing... :p

I'm somewhat bummed that everyone here seems to think that it likely will almost double the cost of the car to get it fully optioned. I guess that is supposedly the "norm" for the model ranges that it is supposed to compete with, I just was not expecting it. I'm used to looking at e.g. a fully optioned Leaf vs base or similar, and the prices don't double, it's more like a 30% to 40% gap between base model and fully optioned top model.. As such, I was thinking the base at 35k would max out around 47k. -I suppose that is still possible, but some of the posts around this forum seem to think that the fully optioned model 3 will run as high as mid 70's (which to me seems a bit insane.. I think at that point I would save another year or two and just go for the Model S...).

I'm not 'into cars' the way most people probably are around here, so I don't have a good overall picture of the car market or anything, but looking at e.g. BMW 320i base vs fully optioned (including the 2 year package and the dirt mats.. like ALL the options, it goes from 33150 to 50265, or +52%. Applied to Model 3, that would put it around the 53k mark fully optioned. I guess we will all find out when they start locking in orders and enter production! (THAT will be exciting!)

To answer your question, probably not at all willing to take out a loan that large. If I was single and living in an apartment, I could see myself doing so on my current salary, but I'm getting married and I have a house mortgage, and just took a 50k solar loan (so I'm 100%+ covered on electricity including heating and with enough to carry an electric car!) so probably not. :) I'm probably going to top out around 45k to 47k if I think I have a decent shot at the tax rebate, and probably topping out at around 38k to 40k if it seems unlikely I can get the tax refund.

Things of course could change for the better or worse between now and then, one positive is that nobody can pick their options now, that comes closer to production, as such I can continue to save as much as possible between now and then and see what my situation is like the day of picking the options. :)

Either way I will be spending a day at the mall being excited and giddy about Tesla and plunking down my 1k to hold a spot in the line! :)