Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's do a spreadsheet for the 31st!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...53k mark fully optioned...

That sounds about right.

Doubling price from the base is just a rough figure. Such as original Model S barebone was $49,900 (with tax credit) and doubling it up is about $100,000 for options.

But actually, you can get Model S 70 kWh for $70,00 including Destination Fee and before tax credit. So it's not doubling up from original announced price.

However, when it comes to Model ≡, I would not count on Tax Credit because it is not predictable.

You can get some variables such as West Cost, Owner, Maxed out Options.... to enhance your chances but it is still not guaranteed.

It's been a good talk.

I'm with you WhiteFang - the speculation that a Model 3 can go up to $70k seems crazy to me. While I don't expect it to go that high, Tesla is a bit different from other car manufactures when it comes do options, because they offer dual motors and a large range of power within one motor. No other car manufacturer offers two engines as an option, and like with BMW for example, a top of the line 3-series is 3.35L displacement, and a 310 is 3.1, so we're talking a 5% increase. Look at the Model 3 which now offers a 90 kWh or 70 kWh, and that's a 30% difference.

So I do expect that if a larger battery and dual motor are offered at launch, it's going to be a 30%+ price hike just for those options. Throw in all the premium/luxury features, and 'big' features like AutoPilot and I can see it going to $60k. I don't expect a performance edition at launch, but if so, then $70k suddenly seems plausible.

I'm still planning on AutoPilot, and only a larger battery if I feel it will make a difference with the tax credit (so it's essentially subsidized). Although the Model 3 is a lot cheaper than a Model S, it's still going to cost more than say, a Leaf or a Bolt, both of which I would hope go over 200 miles by 2018.

In Canada the car will probably start at 47K and with options it will go up to 80K. .. Damn that poor exchange rate we've had recently. Hopefully in the next 2 years the dollar can bounce back

The only advantage is 2 months ago our provincial government just increased the tax credit up to a max of 14,000 so that significantly brings down the cost of the lease. (Almost half). I'm still trying to do figure out the math of how the tax credit with work.

Just joined after seeing this sheet mentioned in the news... ;) (about damn time, I've lurked the Tesla crowd for years!)

It struck me as confusing, the layout of the sheet... how about attaching a Google Form to the sheet to submit responses into the sheet? At first I wasn't sure if I should be the one entering data in the first sheet... like the first column should be "location you plan on camping at". At first, seeing only one person planning on being at the Fremont store (factory), I thought there MUST be a mistake in what I was thinking I should do...

Just joined after seeing this sheet mentioned in the news... ;) (about damn time, I've lurked the Tesla crowd for years!)

It struck me as confusing, the layout of the sheet... how about attaching a Google Form to the sheet to submit responses into the sheet? At first I wasn't sure if I should be the one entering data in the first sheet... like the first column should be "location you plan on camping at". At first, seeing only one person planning on being at the Fremont store (factory), I thought there MUST be a mistake in what I was thinking I should do...

Hi Falcon:

Thanks for your feed back.

Sorry for the confusion.

The link was wrong to direct to the protected locked sheet which is used for tabulations and charts.

The article should link the editable sheet instead.

I am not very good at this.

Audrey also mentioned Form after the spreadsheet came out.

Well, it's too late now.

I looked at Form and I think it gives me better control since the spreadsheet was vandalized the second night.

I would use that next camp out occasion :)

With the spreadsheet, people can still make comments at un-shaded areas so it gives users more flexibility in self expression at any time doesn't it?

Remember this is voluntary so we have no idea how it reflects reality as you mentioned that there's only 1 Fremont sign up.

It's a tool so you know whether you are the one supposed to bring donuts or 91 Kool Aid Flavors....

By the way, there's still a need for verification for exact Fremont location. They were planning either at the regular factory store OR they might move it to across the street.

Good luck!

Reactions: Tedkidd
The link was wrong to direct to the protected locked sheet which is used for tabulations and charts.
The article should link the editable sheet instead.
I am not very good at this.
Audrey also mentioned Form after the spreadsheet came out.
Well, it's too late now.

Actually, upon hearing about it in the news, I went straight here to check the forums, and that's when I signed up and found this thread. :) So, you've still got some level of control. If you can edit your first post in this thread, that's the one most people will see first... either that, or the last page of posts. So, as long as the most important information is in one of those places (either the first post, or keep it visible on the last page with re-posting if you can't edit), you can make a Form and change your original link to point to the form instead. You can even leave the sheet there so everyone can see it, but just keep it obvious that "there's an easy to use form here" and most people will totally elect to use that. :)

By the way, there's still a need for verification for exact Fremont location. They were planning either at the regular factory store OR they might move it to across the street.

Good luck!
Interesting that there are so few people signed up at Fremont, indeed. I'll be keeping an eye out for more info!

Things of course could change for the better or worse between now and then, one positive is that nobody can pick their options now, that comes closer to production, as such I can continue to save as much as possible between now and then and see what my situation is like the day of picking the options. :)

I can relate to a lot of what you've written, including the feeling of being bummed out that a highly-optioned / first-delivered model is currently out of reach, the fear of missing the full tax-credit, and (perhaps most significantly) the proclivity to write copious amounts of text while speaking very little in-person.

Here's how I look at it:

1. The federal tax credit doesn't vanish immediately, so even if we don't get the full $7500, we'll probably (hopefully!) still get half of it by reserving at 10am on March 31st. Combined with state incentives ($2500 here in MA, looks like $3000 for you in CT), that's still a pretty decent subsidy.

2. Your first Tesla doesn't have to be your dream Tesla. Many Model S owners traded up after Tesla introduced the "D" configurations, autopilot, and higher performance options years later. I see no reason why the same won't happen with the Model 3, especially given that Elon has suggested that later versions will be more "adventurous."

3. As your quote above reflects, there are a lot of unknowns right now. We don't currently know how Model 3 options will be priced (or which will even be available), we don't know what tax credits/rebates will be available in two years, and we don't know what our exact financial situations will be at that time. All we can do at the moment is put down a reservation at 10am on March 31st, save what we can for the next year or so, and re-evaluate our options at that time.

Personally, when I finally get my Model 3 design studio invitation, my plan is to build the best car that my family can reasonably afford (making very conservative assumptions about what tax credits will be available), and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm not 'into cars' the way most people probably are around here, so I don't have a good overall picture of the car market or anything, but looking at e.g. BMW 320i base vs fully optioned (including the 2 year package and the dirt mats.. like ALL the options, it goes from 33150 to 50265, or +52%. Applied to Model 3, that would put it around the 53k mark fully optioned. I guess we will all find out when they start locking in orders and enter production! (THAT will be exciting!)

The MSRP on a 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Sedan with options is 56K, not 50K, and that's not counting the M3, which is the equivalent of Tesla's P models. That starts at about 80K.

As far as the tax rebate, nobody has any idea how many or what kinds of buyers will end up getting it. There are just too many unknown factors (when they hit 200K in US sales relative to shipping the Model 3--almost certainly after, but how long after, how quickly they are ramping up at that stage so how many cars they ship in the months after they hit that mark when full credit is still available, exactly how much delayed certain orders are, etc.).

I'd advise you to not worry about it at this stage.

Last edited:
I hate to burst the bubbles for die-hard campers but Brooklyn user A Poshtaruk reported on the worksheet that you'll do deposit over Tesla Wifi so there's no need for camping out.

That means whoever close enough to Tesla Wifi could do reservation themselves with a variety forms of payments online.

That means you can create an account for your friends and do a reservation without them being there.

That means you can open a business by charging fees and do account creation and reservation online for people.

Wohhhh. There's got to be a catch. Please keep the group posted.

I hate to burst the bubbles for die-hard campers but Brooklyn user A Poshtaruk reported on the worksheet that you'll do deposit over Tesla Wifi so there's no need for camping out.

That means whoever close enough to Tesla Wifi could do reservation themselves with a variety forms of payments online.

That means you can create an account for your friends and do a reservation without them being there.

That means you can open a business by charging fees and do account creation and reservation online for people.

Wohhhh. There's got to be a catch. Please keep the group posted.
That assumes the store's wifi is open/unsecured.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and Tam
I tried adding my name to the spreadsheet but for some reason it's not working. Do I have to use my gmail account when I log into TMC?

Dear Electric Mouse:

Sorry for the trouble.

I am not good at computer as others can create a friendlier way.

No, you don't need any gmail account.

Let's try the spread sheet link again below

Look for Red Line Tab "Entries Only" down below.

I hope this will help.

Keep me posted please.

Dear Electric Mouse:

Sorry for the trouble.

I am not good at computer as others can create a friendlier way.

No, you don't need any gmail account.

Let's try the spread sheet link again below

Look for Red Line Tab "Entries Only" down below.

I hope this will help.

Keep me posted please.

I believe the problem might be that when someone else is editing the document no one else can edit it. I was able to briefly get the sheet open but was trying different things and then it locked me out again.

That is probably why using a form would be better since it would allow for multiple edits at the same time. This is just a guess but that is what I am thinking is why most people are unable to edit. The more popular the sheet gets the more difficult it will be to edit.