Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk financing rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you happen to know which credit agency RBFCU used to acquire your credit report?

I'm curious, as I froze my Equifax account after their recent data breach, and am wondering if I will need to unfreeze it here soon for the purpose financing my Model 3. If they instead used one of the other two credit agencies, then I won't bother.
For me, it seems like Equifax was not queried. Just TransUnion was queried. Not sure about Experian.

Financial Partners Credit Union fell through for me due to being out of state. So I just did a Google search for credit unions near me and I found several that I'm eligible to join. It takes some time to dig through their sites to determine eligibility but it probably only took me 90 minutes or so to check the 15-20 in my area. Almost all of the sites had their loan rates easily accessible so I weeded out the higher rate ones without checking eligibility. This sped up the process significantly. I ended up finding 5 I could join that also had loan rates in the same ballpark as FPCU, 2 even beat them.

TLDR; I would suggest that everyone take the time to google your local credit unions. You'll probably find a good deal right in your own back yard.

So do the $1k reservation fee, and $2500 configuration fee have sales tax?

I'm trying to figure out my payments.

$55k car - $3,500 already paid.

Sales tax based on 55k or 51,500?

Both the $1000 reservation fee and $2500 deposit go towards the total price of the car so I would think that yes sales tax does apply. The total price of the car is taxed. Unless you live in a state like NJ which does not charge sales tax on EVs :D

Check out this monthly cost estimator to figure out your monthly payments: Tesla Model 3 Better cost estimate

So if I'm getting this right...

Car is $55k, sales tax is $5,225, Already gave them $3,500.

I'm financing $51,500 but sales tax is still $5,225 based on the full amount.

Then any down payment etc...

Can't use that estimator because sales tax is wrong.
Wow, that’s a 10.5% sales tax. I thought N.J. was bad. This may also be useful since your profile indicates CA:

California City and County Sales and Use Tax Rates - Cities, Counties and Tax Rates - California State Board of Equalization

Wow, that’s a 10.5% sales tax. I thought N.J. was bad. This may also be useful since your profile indicates CA:

California City and County Sales and Use Tax Rates - Cities, Counties and Tax Rates - California State Board of Equalization

Yeah Washington state sales tax has to be some of the highest in the country as well. It sucks! We currently have a sales tax exemption up to $32000 for EV purchases for vehicles with a base price of $42,500 or less but it’s about to expire.

It's only 9.5%. Car is 55k, sales tax 5225. 9.5%.

But I'm only financing 51,500 since they already have 3,500 of mine.

But you pay tax on the full amount, so the tax is still 5225

9.5% is still the worst when you're buying something this expensive.

Not sure about CA but in NY the state rebate comes off the top then the tax is calculated.
Don't think that's the case in CA. Pay for the car, then apply for the rebate.

Edited to add:

Interesting. Just looked on the CA CVRP rebate site and they're doing a pilot program. SD County residents can get pre-approval for the CA rebate and it can either be paid to you once you purchase the car or applied directly to the car purchase.

Did they also give you a quote for less than 72 months, say 60 or 66 months? I have a 2.99% from Tesla through Chase but my score should get me better! Not sure if the market rates caused Chase to quote higher.
Yeah, I they do have lower rates for shorter terms but I didn't get them because I was set on a 5 yr loan...geez, I can't math well. Sorry, my quote was for 60 months, not 72. My bad.

Reactions: codeblue309
For those in the Portland Metro and Vancouver area, I am able to get 2.39% for 72 months at Pacific NW Federal CU.

Oregon/Vancouver Metro areas: First Community Credit Union (Great CU) offering 1.99/60 months. I'm locked in for my 75D to come this month, unfortunately I couldn't get them to match any 72 month offers. Main Home - First Community Credit Union

• Informative
Reactions: JWiC