Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter to Mr. Musk from a 1-day old outdated Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference in price between P90DL and P100DL should not be much more than 20k since you can upgrade one to the other so that hardly accounts for the 30K discount.
It does seem pretty extreme and I'm wondering if you are really comparing like for like.

The difference in price between P90DL and P100DL should not be much more than 20k since you can upgrade one to the other so that hardly accounts for the 30K discount.
It does seem pretty extreme and I'm wondering if you are really comparing like for like.
Yes, it was extreme. Since they were pushing to get extreme QA3 results. They've sold almost all inventory stock in the UK.

Is your radar broken due to an accident then?

This all does really suck for you. It's one thing to be driving a car which is depreciating it's another to just be the owner.
Yes, it was an accident. (as I stated in my previous messages.)
It took 3 months for them to get the radar and fix it. I've paid full price and watched my car get depreciated while it was sitting in the body shop. Tesla's defence was: "Since facelift cars are new, we have some part sourcing issues".
The car came back, 3 months later, they've done a terrible job. I've also asked Tesla service to check my warranty issues. And of course they are not fixed too. They didn't even check. Now the car is going back, god know when it will come back.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
You are too positive, and easily call someone you don't know "spoiled". Obviously you're a TSLA investor or a huge fan, you are not able to look the other way.
I'm furious, because I'm not able to drive the car I've ordered 6 months ago. And at the same time, Tesla is selling a similar spec car with a huge discount. At the sametime my car is deprecated twice. Is it so hard to empathize?
I'm sick of hearing "You got the car you've paid for". No I didn't get it. It is still in the body shop, waiting for replacement parts.
Also, Tesla is not a startup anymore, They've sold more than 150.000 cars. What early adopter you're talking about?
I agree and sympathize with you to the fullest. I hope Tesla doesn't get bitten hard by customer service woes. You have a legitimate gripe.

Reactions: xborg
When I lived in London ten years ago the most common refrain I heard was

"It cant be helped"

Hope that attitude hasn't infiltrated Tesla UK.

The fact that the pound has taken a hit since you bought the car may also have made a difference in the pricing.

It was not demo. They advertise them as demo, but not all of them are demo. This car was brand new.
I know they were giving huge discount since p100d out and rushing q3. But so what? Is this an excuse? P90D is still on sale. No haggle model is no more.
How many miles it had and what was the production date? The only way I see this is possible is if someone abandoned their deposit (thus creating an "orphaned" vehicle with no owner) and your friend got lucky and was able to lock in the car before it hit the showroom floor. I don't see how this is the end of the no haggle model however, as these situations will be very rare (plus Elon will now be reviewing them).

And are you sure it was even a discount and not a general price change (someone else posted there was a price drop for the P90D in the UK, perhaps because of currency changes)? And is the car configured exactly the same as yours? Inventory cars can't be configured and there can be big differences in prices based on configurations.

I don't think so and I definitely don't hope so. Micromanaging to that degree would be a colossal waste of his time.
Elon said in his letter that every single incident where a new car is sold below MSRP will be reported directly to him. From his letter, this situation is very rare anyways (a handful worldwide so far), so it won't take a whole lot of time. This is to fight against claims that Tesla is moving to a haggling model and to address owners like xborg who feel like they were cheated because someone got a better deal on a new car.

How many miles it had and what was the production date? The only way I see this is possible is if someone abandoned their deposit (thus creating an "orphaned" vehicle with no owner) and your friend got lucky and was able to lock in the car before it hit the showroom floor. I don't see how this is the end of the no haggle model however, as these situations will be very rare (plus Elon will now be reviewing them).

And are you sure it was even a discount and not a general price change (someone else posted there was a price drop for the P90D in the UK, perhaps because of currency changes)? And is the car configured exactly the same as yours? Inventory cars can't be configured and there can be big differences in prices based on configurations.
It had about 10 miles. Brand new.
Situation is not rare for Q3 end, there are lots of examples.
Please see attached specs, his car vs Tesla's configurator.
14370425_10153713638550706_4216191735858923753_n.jpg
14359233_10153713642345706_6579783730399154650_n.jpg

I lucked up some in that I got the Autopilot Convenience Feature for $2,500 a short time before it went up to $3,000. Also, while AP 2.0 hardware looks cool and Enhanced Autopilot is "enhanced," the only part that has much practical value to me is what was in the original Autopilot Convenience feature. So I actually got the features I want for $2,500 rather than $5,000. So by missing out on AP 2.0, I saved $2,500 and don't have to wait months for AP to start working.

Full autonomy is a different story, but it's not a feature that will be available until about the time the Model 3 comes out, and I already had one of those on reservation, with the expectation that it will be full-autonomy capable, which appears to be right on target.

I understand why people are upset: it is human nature to be upset when someone else gets something that you don't.

But I do not understand why people are blaming Tesla for their own judgment.

Anybody who didn't have their head under a rock for the last few months knew that Tesla was coming out with AP 2.0 hardware, and that it would likely be out before next year. So anyone who purchased a Tesla and took delivery had every expectation that they would not get Autopilot 2.0 hardware, and that sometime soon new Teslas would. These people (and I am one of them) decided to buy a car now and not wait for Autopilot 2.0 hardware.

So exactly what excuse has anyone for whining because they got what they paid for, and what they knew full-well would happen happened?

You can hit the dislike button all you want, but you only have yourself to blame for putting yourself in the position you are in.

Absolutely. There is an option that I didn't think about. Make the announcement and lower the price of the current model until the next one comes out. Its been proven that sales won't diminish.
It would be much more ethnical than tricking folks when they request the latest and greatest technology.

Defenitely true about ethics. I also believe that lower prices for models near end of production works better in US market than EU market. I used to work in automotive business in EU and must say it is hard to get back on track with normal discounts once consumers are used to 30% discount and that I mean with premium brands such as BMW, Audi and Merc...

I understand why people are upset: it is human nature to be upset when someone else gets something that you don't.

But I do not understand why people are blaming Tesla for their own judgment.

Anybody who didn't have their head under a rock for the last few months knew that Tesla was coming out with AP 2.0 hardware, and that it would likely be out before next year. So anyone who purchased a Tesla and took delivery had every expectation that they would not get Autopilot 2.0 hardware, and that sometime soon new Teslas would. These people (and I am one of them) decided to buy a car now and not wait for Autopilot 2.0 hardware.

So exactly what excuse has anyone for whining because they got what they paid for, and what they knew full-well would happen happened?

You can hit the dislike button all you want, but you only have yourself to blame for putting yourself in the position you are in.
I don't understand why people in this forum don't get it.

NO ONE is complaining that they didn't get what they paid for. That's not the argument. Stay on topic.

The topic is this:

I spent $150K for the best car Tesla said they had. NOW one day later they have drastically reduced the value of my car - while knowing that there was a better car in the works. Are we talking about sales people? NO. We are talking about execs. who knew.

Many $150K owners are saying - I would have paid $158K had I known that the option was there.

It has nothing to do with wether or not you got $150K worth of car.

• Disagree
Reactions: xborg and MP3Mike
I don't understand why people in this forum don't get it.

NO ONE is complaining that they didn't get what they paid for. That's not the argument. Stay on topic.

The topic is this:

I spent $150K for the best car Tesla said they had. NOW one day later they have drastically reduced the value of my car - while knowing that there was a better car in the works. Are we talking about sales people? NO. We are talking about execs. who knew.

Many $150K owners are saying - I would have paid $158K had I known that the option was there.

It has nothing to do with wether or not you got $150K worth of car.

Right. But you still haven't presented a practical alternative to what Tesla presently does. For reasons previously discussed they can't give release dates for future major features. They can't go to "model year" upgrades (yet). And they can't stop innovating.

That's the deal. Would I, as an owner who's looking to upgrade in the next year or so, like to know what and when new models/features are coming out? ABSOLUTELY. Will I be frustrated if I just miss something? Yep. Do I accept that this is way it must work right now and live with it? Yes.

So... I watch this blog, try to get a sense of what if likely coming in the near future, and I'll likely buy immediately after a major announcement. And if I screw up and miss something... then I do. Life.

Reactions: Shumdit and JeffK