Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level 2 charging Amps accuracy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an OpenEVSE that I assembled plugged into a 14-50 outlet in my garage. The OpenEVSE display shows charging Amps and a running total Wh for each charging session. I calibrated it to have good agreement with the charging Amps requested by our 2017 e-Golf (great car, BTW), but reads about 5% higher than the requested Amps when charging our new Model S. I'm not sure which is likely to be a more accurate standard, the e-Golf or Model S. What have others used as a standard to test the actual Amps delivered by their EVSE?

They sell hand held clamp on current meters that you could put on one of the hots in your panel to measure it with an independent tool. Don't expect it to be perfect either but at least you will have a third data point.

I have 4 openevse and the correction factor isn't very granular. If you were able to hit the mark exactly consider it luck. These are low cost compenents 5% is about as close as you can expect.

They sell hand held clamp on current meters that you could put on one of the hots in your panel to measure it with an independent tool. Don't expect it to be perfect either but at least you will have a third data point.

I have 4 openevse and the correction factor isn't very granular. If you were able to hit the mark exactly consider it luck. These are low cost compenents 5% is about as close as you can expect.
The way he described it, I suspect he's got one of those cheap eBay power meters embedded in his OpenEVSE build like I do, so he's got at least 4 data points, all with various inaccuracies:

1. The amperage the OpenEVSE is actually advertising (Pilot waveform).
2. The embedded meter.
3. The eGolf's amperage display.
4. The Tesla's amperage display.

Take your pick on which one is closest to reality.