Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leviton EV320 "Start charging failed, charge already requested"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone use this charger? Was recently installed on my property and (with the adaptor) it will charge just fine. The issue is that after it reaches the designated charge, the car cannot request more charge again without plugging in again. Pain in the ass for winter time warm-ups where I'd rather it pulled from the pole (same with Cabin Overheat).

I've checked settings on the wall charger (none) and googled around, nothing. Anyone ever run into this?

I see you started two different threads on this, but I am reinforcing @Cosmacelf 's answer. A J1772 compliant charging device should not be acting this way. Leviton is doing something strange and wrong with their equipment. It should be offering the connection all of the time, and it is supposed to be on the car side to request charging or stop charging whenever it wants.

Now when I mentioned "offering the connection", some units are made with an option of "available" or "not available" modes as a method of enforcing certain times when cars will be allowed or not allowed to charge. So when it's in one of those "not available" conditions, it basically just acts like the circuit breaker is off, and the car can't even see that there's anything there. I don't know if the Leviton one is doing something with that. Except needing to unplug and replug shouldn't be related to that condition.

Upvote 0
Hi. I just recently replaced a 7yr old leviton with a new ev32w. It also does not work properly with delayed charging, nor will it resume charging once it thinks charging is complete. I can definitively say the older evb32 charger handled both these scenarios properly. I've got a support case started and will post back if I get anywhere

Upvote 0
Why (did you replace this with another leviton EV charging adapter). I just checked amazon, and at least in the US, this adapter is more than the tesla wall connector, which doesnt have any of these specific issues.
At $695, the Leviton EV32W costs more than the $595 Tesla Universal Wall Connector, which can charge either Tesla or J1772 EVs without any additional adapters. So in the use case of also needing to charge a J1772 EV, the Leviton EV32W does not look like a good choice.

The only situation where it may make sense is if it is in a subsidy program but the Tesla Universal Wall Connector is not. Even then, if it behaves as described, it may not be a good choice, assuming the subsidy program has other options.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Considering that the car will temporarily turn on the EVSE whenever it does delayed charging, or you open a door while the car isn't charging, and has the ability to remotely increase the charge level, sounds like this EVSE is the worst choice a Tesla owner could make. They must have problems with other car brands, too. Is it too late to return it?

Why do companies stray outside the standards like this? I can't think of a single benefit this behavior could have.

Upvote 0
Not sure about return. Exactly why I have the support ticket open. It will either provide me the doc I need to return it or clear info I can post to warn others it doesn't charge my Chevy Bolt properly on delay either. As the OP found, there are ZERO reviews or other posts which warn about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
If you can return the Leviton EV320, then a Tesla Universal Wall Connector would appear to be an ideal option for charging both the Model 3 and Bolt, if it is available.

If not, the Grizzl-E EVSEs made in Canada start at CAD$500. However, they are plug-in (14-50 or 6-50), so you would need to add the appropriate outlet to your circuit (use one with full size brass contacts to the plug blades, meaning not the Leviton 279{,-S00} or 5374{,-S00}).

Upvote 0
It is always OK to remove the plug and hard wire an EVSE. The opposite is not true. You cannot legally add a plug cord to an EVSE that is listed to be hard wired.

That’s a long way of saying that you don’t have to install an outlet to use a Grizzl-E.
That isn't really true. Many plugin EVSEs do not have an easily removable cord or any way to properly terminate new wires. For example, hardwiring a Tesla mobile connector wouldn't really be possible. That said, the Grizzl-E looks like it would handle that, although I didn't see any pics of the inside.

Sure you could cut off the plug and do some splicing, but that would be worse, IMHO, than simply plugging it into a proper receptacle.

Upvote 0
It is always OK to remove the plug and hard wire an EVSE. The opposite is not true. You cannot legally add a plug cord to an EVSE that is listed to be hard wired.

That’s a long way of saying that you don’t have to install an outlet to use a Grizzl-E.
The Grizzl-E comes with a plug (either 14-50 or 6-50).

Adding the appropriate outlet to the circuit does not require modifying the EVSE.

Upvote 0
That isn't really true. Many plugin EVSEs do not have an easily removable cord or any way to properly terminate new wires. For example, hardwiring a Tesla mobile connector wouldn't really be possible. That said, the Grizzl-E looks like it would handle that, although I didn't see any pics of the inside.

Sure you could cut off the plug and do some splicing, but that would be worse, IMHO, than simply plugging it into a proper receptacle.
While you are technically correct, I have yet to see an EVSE that is designed for fixed mounting like the Grizzl-E that cannot easily and properly accommodate hard wiring by non-invasively removing the plug-in cord. The Mobile Connector example is a totally different situation.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your thoughts on the grizzl-e. It was on my radar too. The grizzl-e duo could be sweet, or the tesla universal wall connector. Not sure how useful the ability to just plug both in and let the charger do the load balancing. I know the Teslas can load share too but the wiring did not look straightforward in their manual

My charger is outdoors, so I have been a bit partial to hardwired, although I'm sure an outlet is possible. But gotta deal with leviton first

• Informative
Upvote 0
Thanks for your thoughts on the grizzl-e. It was on my radar too. The grizzl-e duo could be sweet, or the tesla universal wall connector. Not sure how useful the ability to just plug both in and let the charger do the load balancing. I know the Teslas can load share too but the wiring did not look straightforward in their manual

My charger is outdoors, so I have been a bit partial to hardwired, although I'm sure an outlet is possible. But gotta deal with leviton first

I have seen a few different people purchase the grizzl-e unit and remember positive feedback. Wishing you good luck in getting everything sorted out.

Upvote 0
The grizzl-e duo could be sweet, or the tesla universal wall connector. Not sure how useful the ability to just plug both in and let the charger do the load balancing.
Think of broader society's situations though. Sure, here on this forum, you see people with gigantic electric services indifferently tossing out ideas like putting in three full separate new 60A circuits without a thought. But my electrical service for my entire house is only 125A. I don't have 180A of free unused capacity to spare for three separate charging circuits.

If you only have maybe 40A available for car charging, and you need to effectively split that between two or three cars, and you have 9 or 10 hours overnight to distribute that, yes, it would make a lot of sense letting the interconnected wall connectors handle that sharing.

I know the Teslas can load share too but the wiring did not look straightforward in their manual
Maybe the diagrams were hard to understand or picture, but in concept it really is easy. You just run one parent feeder line to a subpanel (like in the garage). And then you just split it, like any other subpanel, with a breaker for each one, going out to each wall connector. That's it. The sharing part of it is that you can run something like a 50A circuit to the subpanel, but then you can still breaker each connector as a 50A, and the sharing function will make sure it doesn't overload what the total supply line can give.

Upvote 0