Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

Loving my new Tesla M3. I noticed in the owner’s manual that Tesla recommends leaving the model 3 plugged in all the time to preserve the battery - I wanted to clarify (if anyone knows) whether this also applies to the new LFP batteries as well or is that part just overhang from the previous manual?

I also recently noticed that the left side of the area where you put your phones - it seems to be a wireless iphone charger - anyone know if this can be changed to charge other phones?

Cheers lads!

There has been plenty on the forum already with LFP. A quick search should find it.

With regards to the phone charging, I bought a couple of Nillkin "Magic Tags" which go on the back of the phone and plug into the charge connector. Works well even through the phone cover. This for a OnePlus 6T and a Oneplus3 but I am sure there are ones for iPhones which apparently do not have a standard charge port (USB-C). Charge at about 6 watts and turn the phone into a wireless charging phone. You can always unplug and put in a normal charging cord but I have not bothered and also invested in a couple of wireless chargers for the house so have the benefit of easy charging.

Hi all!

Loving my new Tesla M3. I noticed in the owner’s manual that Tesla recommends leaving the model 3 plugged in all the time to preserve the battery - I wanted to clarify (if anyone knows) whether this also applies to the new LFP batteries as well
Yes
or is that part just overhang from the previous manual?
No, not a mistake, not obsolete.
...anyone know if this can be changed to charge other phones?..
If a phone has wireless charging, it works without naming brands.

Reactions: Incrediblehulk
There has been plenty on the forum already with LFP. A quick search should find it.

With regards to the phone charging, I bought a couple of Nillkin "Magic Tags" which go on the back of the phone and plug into the charge connector. Works well even through the phone cover. This for a OnePlus 6T and a Oneplus3 but I am sure there are ones for iPhones which apparently do not have a standard charge port (USB-C). Charge at about 6 watts and turn the phone into a wireless charging phone. You can always unplug and put in a normal charging cord but I have not bothered and also invested in a couple of wireless chargers for the house so have the benefit of easy charging.

Pretty much every recent iPhone (think from 2017) has wireless charging.

With Android, it's mostly the premium/expensive models.
As above you can buy add-ons but your then pretty committed to wireless charging everywhere as the thin cable is not really designed for continuous removal, plus it's slower charging.

Pretty much every recent iPhone (think from 2017) has wireless charging.

With Android, it's mostly the premium/expensive models.
As above you can buy add-ons but your then pretty committed to wireless charging everywhere as the thin cable is not really designed for continuous removal, plus it's slower charging.
This is true. Here's my experience:

a. Loved the idea of having the 2 chargers in the 3.
b. Wished we had wireless charging phones, but we didn't.
c. Bought the add ons and initially just had them loose between the phone and the case in case it did not work out.
d. Bought a $5 charge pad for home. However positioning was critical, but it worked thus proving the concepts.
e. Had the arrangement for one month and really liked it. Did not have to remove the plug, though with care it can easily be done. You would not want to do it too frequently.
f. Have now used the double sided tape to attach the add-on. Purchased two stand type wireless chargers for home.
g. Yes, charging is slower (about 40% less than normal and a lot slower than DASH charging for OnePlus). But I am doing it more often and keeping the phones more often below 100% which is better for the battery. So overall, it is great for us and pleased with the result.

In regard to having the car plugged in when not in use, I think they are mainly worried about it being unplugged for an extended period, accidently or otherwise so that the battery completely discharges. The other caveat though is it also needs to keep the 12V battery charged though you would think it would take some time to discharge it as well.

Elon has said in quite a few tweets that it's not particularly important what battery state of charge you set or keep.