Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive battery health test in Service mode.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to go through my experience running the drive battery health test in Service Mode. Now this experience I went though was with my MY RWD with LFP chemistry battery in mid June just before I sold it to make room for the MY LR I had ordered that is supposedly coming soon.

We emptied the battery down to approx 10% just using my wife's normal daily driving pattern then I ran the test over night. I did everything as described by Tesla in the instructions on the screen and heard the AC and fans etc start running to discharge the battery to empty it before measuring the amount of energy required to refill it back to 100%.

Anyway on checking the car the next day it showed fully charged but no health amount was shown like I have seen on videos overseas but admittedly from memory those videos were from other chemistry types other than LFP.

So my question is has anyone gotten a successful health test for LFP batteries in Australia or for that matter any type chemistry for their drive battery using service mode?

I am thinking it might be an Australian service mode problem, an LFP chemistry problem or hell it could have just been problem on my end and yes I know I will not have to worry about LFP once I get my LR but I am still interested to find out from other's experiences to see whether I stuffed up or not and it also may help a few others here to know.

Ok after a search that I just did I found this video that gave a successful health test result here in Australia for a Model 3P that came from Fremont USA with NCA battery chemistry.

He had 9% degradation after 3 1/2 years or 91% battery health.

So Australia's service mode at least works with some Tesla battery chemistry it seems. I will keep searching when I get more time.

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic
Ive been fiddling around with the service menu as part of me learning my vehicle and being able to look after it properly. Ive also subscribed to the service manuals and parts catalog etcetc using a tesla account subscription

I dont have the LLP chemistry in my M3P so I cant give you the data your looking for but I'm pretty sure something went wrong in your adventures in the service menu. Try to nail down the steps further and try again. You understand it forces a big cycle of the battery bank so its pretty big to step to go through it. Also, dont click on stuff you dont get, you dont want to messup the HVAC systems and the like in there.

I dont have the LLP chemistry in my M3P so I cant give you the data your looking for
I actually said:
So my question is has anyone gotten a successful health test for LFP batteries in Australia or for that matter any type chemistry for their drive battery using service mode?
See that part about "or for that matter any type chemistry" ie meaning has anyone in Australia a gotten a successful health test of any chemistry yet?
but I'm pretty sure something went wrong in your adventures in the service menu.
Ok I said in my post:
I did everything as described by Tesla in the instructions on the screen
Now did I interpret any of those instruction wrong? I don't think so and if you watch that video I posted and see how the gentleman had trouble himself getting a result maybe the instruction are at fault. But this is what I am trying to get to the bottom of.
Try to nail down the steps further and try again.
like I said:
Now this experience I went though was with my MY RWD with LFP chemistry battery in mid June just before I sold it to make room for the MY LR I had ordered that is supposedly coming soon.
notice that bit about being sold? But I will definitely run the test on the MY LR when it gets here with a chemistry other than LFP.
You understand it forces a big cycle of the battery bank so its pretty big to step to go through it.
As someone that has done them before with PHEVs I am pretty sure I understand and I am pretty sure the battery can handle it especially with LFP and even with other types if not done too often.

Also, dont click on stuff you dont get, you dont want to messup the HVAC systems and the like in there.
Ok that won't be a problem but thanks anyway for the warning.🙂

Last edited:
I also did the battery health test on my LFP Model 3, and although it did a full discharge/charge cycle, no test result was displayed. I assumed it was just me (not waiting long enough etc) but your post makes me think it might not work for particular cars (LFP).
Yea the same with me where it did a full discharge/charge cycle and no test result. I hope we can get to the bottom of this and find a reliable way of doing this test and maybe also help others if they require it.🙂

Last edited:
Why on Earth would you do a battery cycling test on a new from the factory battery?
I guess you are writing to me? If yes, you might have heard of reference points ie you need to have something to reference to for future data. We engineers do it all the time as part of testing.

All it can do is prematurely put some wear on the battery!
All it can do! Generalised statement without fact IMO. See my first answer to you above to help explain please.🙂

Now we can talk about wear on the battery till the cows come home as they say. But I will shorten it here to risk/reward for the data I want to collect over the time I want to own the vehicle.

But I can assure you the OCCATIONAL time I take my battery from 0 to 100%, especially if I do it only at a colder time of the year (winter) and for a very short period stay at 100% which I intend to, will be MINISCULE in the factors of the main degradation that will happen to it from the data I have seen out there from testing these processes and available for anybody to research if we are willing to put the effort in IMHO. 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: wildguess
I did managed to do a successful reference health test as seen here:
20230809_073109.jpg

Now the lesson I learnt compared to my previous try with my Model Y RWD was not to be impatient with the test. Just give it some time especially once it's charged to 100%.

Hope it helps others.

successful reference health test as seen here:
But battery health 100%....

100% of what?

That test does not give me any information - the car is new and no error messages prior to doing the BH test. In the absence of error messages the other green dots were going to be green dots anyway.

Does the service manual say anything about what the 100% actually mean?

But battery health 100%....

100% of what?
100% full health battery as measured by Tesla using their Service Mode ie no measured degradation.
That test does not give me any information - the car is new and no error messages prior to doing the BH test. In the absence of error messages the other green dots were going to be green dots anyway.

Does the service manual say anything about what the 100% actually mean?
Ok see this cover shot of the video I posted earlier in this thread where the gentleman had a successful health test result here in Australia for a Model 3P that came from Fremont USA with NCA battery chemistry:

Notice he had Battery Health of 91% or 9% degradation after 3 1/2 years.

Reactions: wildguess
More useful data can be pulled from the CAN diagnostics without having to spend $$$$ on Tesla toolbox subscriptions

Like using a Tesla 3 adapter to OBD2 you can get an MX+ Bluetooth scan tool and then using Scan my Tesla

This will give core info, Ratio of fast DC vs AC charging, Voltages, see first hand max and min voltages for performance losses over time. Calculated ranges deriving degradation in capacity and shwoing how much buffer in fudge factor Tesla are using and how much useable power in KW is left vs original etcetc, Important temperatures with cell temp / pcs temp / battery coolant temp etcetc

Reactions: Hagrid
Like this:

So my vehicle was commissioned at Gigashanghai on 17/03/2023 which is 162 days 5 months, 9 days. Where Ive gone from 78.8 to 78.3 KW so 0.5KW degradation. This is especially low due to my SoC55 club, shallow DoD, mostly fractional C rate charging and being in a low temperature environment over winter. Thats 0.63% in around 5 months.

Pic 1:

1.jpg

Pic 2

20230826_033513000_iOS.jpg

Other example infos

20230826_014230000_iOS.jpg

20230826_014149000_iOS.jpg

20230825_133144000_iOS.jpg

20230825_090254000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hagrid