Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LG Chem batteries in MiC M3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
With all the latest issues and recalls relating to LG Chem batteries, should we have any concerns in relation to the LG Chem batteries in some of our MiC M3s?
Video by Transport Evolved about it here:

I personally doubt there’ll be an issue, as Tesla use a different form factor battery and therefore hopefully won’t suffer the same manufacturing defects as with the Hyundais, Chevys and all the others appear to be suffering from.

Certainly not heard anything from Tesla, though that’s no surprise!

With all the latest issues and recalls relating to LG Chem batteries, should we have any concerns in relation to the LG Chem batteries in some of our MiC M3s?

I personally doubt there’ll be an issue, as Tesla use a different form factor battery and therefore hopefully won’t suffer the same manufacturing defects as with the Hyundais, Chevys and all the others appear to be suffering from.

It would not be my first choice but that is due to it not being as good as the Panasonic alternative on paper. The risk of fire would not worry me. As you say a totally different form factor. its probably unlikely the same "torn anode tab and folded separator " issues would automatically carry across from pouch to cylinder cell.

Reactions: MP3Mike

No concerns. Tesla just boosted up the charging power on their LG battery based vehicles. It’s all about battery temperature management which Tesla seem to master.

GOOD NEWS! - Tesla increased charging speed on LG battery E5D based vehicles!