Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License plate and iPhone case charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my new Tesla. 2020 long range plus. 2 things.

guys at store when I picked it up couldn’t remove front license plate because of rules. Apparently I find out it’s some special e9 bolt that I cannot remove? I guess I will call them and drive back.

Also what iPhone cases does everyone live that fit in the wireless holder charger.

re your comment about removing the front license plate bracket: I do not know for a fact that this is correct but I have been told that Tesla is prohibited from removing the front license plate holder because when the Model S was tested by the federal agency that does crash testing and other such things the test vehicle had a front license plate holder on it and the company cannot make any changes to the exterior of the car unless they submit the modified vehicle to be re-tested. They've apparently opted to save the $75,000 to $100,000 cost of submitting another car to be run into a wall for testing. I admit that the removal of the license plate bracket does not seem to be sufficient modification to require another crash test. But, this is the government and a number of their rules are arcane to say the least. Again, I have no independent verification of the above but that is what I was told by Tesla service center to be the reason they cannot remove the bracket.

Reactions: Puma2020
re your comment about removing the front license plate bracket: I do not know for a fact that this is correct but I have been told that Tesla is prohibited from removing the front license plate holder because when the Model S was tested by the federal agency that does crash testing and other such things the test vehicle had a front license plate holder on it and the company cannot make any changes to the exterior of the car unless they submit the modified vehicle to be re-tested. They've apparently opted to save the $75,000 to $100,000 cost of submitting another car to be run into a wall for testing. I admit that the removal of the license plate bracket does not seem to be sufficient modification to require another crash test. But, this is the government and a number of their rules are arcane to say the least. Again, I have no independent verification of the above but that is what I was told by Tesla service center to be the reason they cannot remove the bracket.
Stupid laws exist everywhere.

The structural support or impact absorption of a plastic license plate bracket is insignificant compared to the kinetic energy of a 5000-pound car ramming a stationary crash test barrier.

Expecting government officials to understand such a common-sense physics problem, however, is akin to expecting a pig to grow wings and fly to the moon.

I bought 90 degree pliers to help get it off. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N34924/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They came in, I used my hands, and one screw came off in my hand without turning, I was able to get the other screw off by hand. I now have the unused pliers for future uses. I very gently pulled on the license plate frame changing sides and angles. I did this with the frame on to give me leverage, and stop me from using too much force that would break the frame. Took me 15 minutes of so, but the whole license plate frame and glue came off. If you use heat, it will make the glue gooier, and not come off as a whole. On the other hand, if yours is really stuck on, you might require heat. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Here's exactly how to remove the front license plate bracket:

The body-color plastic piece is pretty flexible....You can actually pop the plastic around the two E9 bolts on the underside, and just forget about it. No need to remove them. That's what I did for mine.

The rest of the license plate holder is just held on with double sided VHB tape, so it'll just pull right off.....with some force.