Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I just received my license plates after taking delivery of the car on 06/04. In California, the standard plates follow the pattern:

nXXXnnn

It turns out my XXX is TMS (as in Tesla Model S). That should be easy enough to remember. I'm going to assume that Elon didn't pull strings to get TMS set aside for MS's. If not, it is a convenient coincidence.

Wuggado?

Sweet. I'm always curious what plate I get, but I always get something crappy. I've always thought about getting a personalized plate to fool the pattern, and get a frame that partially obstructs the letters in case I want to do some crimes. Like 71NL70S so It looks like 7LNL705.

So, I just received my license plates after taking delivery of the car on 06/04. In California, the standard plates follow the pattern:

nXXXnnn

It turns out my XXX is TMS (as in Tesla Model S). That should be easy enough to remember. I'm going to assume that Elon didn't pull strings to get TMS set aside for MS's. If not, it is a convenient coincidence.

Wuggado?
If you took factory delivery, you would get a plate with xATSxxx from Tesla.

Probably.
They may have had a batch of 1000 ATS plates and when those ran out came up with the TMS plates. Nice touch to the car.

You're saying that factory delivery gets some Tesla-themed license plates? That's not my experience...I did a factory delivery in May 2015 and my plates (received a few weeks later) have the letters "LRP" and that doesn't relate to anything I can think of.

(What connection does the letters "ATS" have to Tesla? "ATS" is a Cadillac.)

I would be willing to be proven wrong (happy even) but it really feels to me like the OP's plates are just a happy coincidence.

Bruce.

nXXXnnn

Wuggado?

Wow! I am in SoCal and also just received my new plates, and it is xTMSxxx. I wonder if it is a crazy coincidence, or something planned. I have actually ordered personalized plates, so I will have to give up the TMS plates.

Wow! I am in SoCal and also just received my new plates, and it is xTMSxxx. I wonder if it is a crazy coincidence, or something planned. I have actually ordered personalized plates, so I will have to give up the TMS plates.

You guys are joking, right?

Plate numbers are like serial numbers, they just go up...the people who registered their cars 1,000 cars after yours got xTMTxxx, which stands for "Think, McFly, think!"

• Funny
Reactions: bmah

Plate numbers are like serial numbers, they just go up...the people who registered their cars 1,000 cars after yours got xTMTxxx, which stands for "Think, McFly, think!"

Yep, I thought that it was a pretty funny coincidence. Maybe the Model X guys should wait a bit longer for their orders to get in the TMX stream. :p

Last edited:

Well, it's not quite that simple. They ship batches to DMV offices. Each office hands them out at their own pace. I received 7ATSxxx from Tesla in Feb 2015 when other DMV offices were handing out 7Nxxxxx and later plates. I also met an owner who had a factory delivery a year earlier who also had a 7ATSxxx plate.
I think Tesla procured a batch of 7ATSxxx plates and when they were gone got a batch of 7TMSxxx .