Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License plate light for the obsessed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being the crazy perfectionist modder I am, when I upgraded the license plate lamps to LEDs I was not happy with the unevenness of the light. This is the result of the placement of the two stock lamps, particularly the left one, which is placed too far to that side owing to clearance for the rear view camera. So I decided to fix the evenness of the light out by adding a waterprooof LED strip to the bottom of the trunk lip over the license plate. The strip is narrow enough that access to the hatchback lid release is not impeded in any way. As the clips in the stock lamp cannot be soldered, I soldered the leads for power and earth for the LED strip to the tabs on either side of the LED in the stock lamp. I then drilled a hole in the stock lens, waterproofed the hole with Goop, reinstalled the stock lens/lamp and ran the leads and soldered them to the LED strip.

My goal of even and very bright light was achieved. The light is now much brighter and much more even. Here are the results:

DSC_3481.JPG

DSC_3480.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_3481.JPG
    DSC_3481.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 680