Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime removed, now six mos supercharge - Tesla lied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is the minimal supercharging fees seriously that big of a deal? lord have mercy.

Put the Kool aid down. It may or may not be the $ amount that matters. What is the line that a company such as Tesla should not cross? This is a slippery slope. So if it's a little more money, then it matters? Sometimes Tesla fanatic supporters are blind to things that should not be brushed aside. OP has a legitimate gripe.

I’m having an equally bad second delivery/post-delivery nightmare, this time with my newest Tesla a fullllly spec’ed MX P100D. One of the issues I need resolved is the life supercharging, which was the deal when I placed a five figure deposit and I began my order but somehow ended a couple weeks before delivery. I’m going to take the slow and steady polite route but if I get no joy I will not hestitate to at the very least file a small claims court action for whatever the maximal amount one cam seek in small claims court these days, if nothing else than to finally get someone’s attention. I don’t want the money, I want the features I was sold at time they took my money. Someone mentioned $10k, that would about do it for all the hassle and loss of a major feature that was offered when I began the purchase, but again, I’d rather just get the features that at the time was one of their most widely marketed messages - the promise of free supercharging for life. I don’t even hardly use supercharging, it’s a matter or principle.

I couldn’t even get them to build the car with the wheels I wanted spec’ed, also becoming quite the thing post-delivery to get resolved... they promise you the world to get you to sign the papers and drive the car away at delivery, then you can never get the same person twice post-delivery to respond, almost ensuring they never need be accountable to follow through with anything.

Last edited:
Put the Kool aid down. It may or may not be the $ amount that matters. What is the line that a company such as Tesla should not cross? This is a slippery slope. So if it's a little more money, then it matters? Sometimes Tesla fanatic supporters are blind to things that should not be brushed aside. OP has a legitimate gripe.

Thanks. Ya, it’s not about the money really, it’s the principle. I bought it with that promise and I expect it to be given.

A few weeks after my OA replied to me and CS it is now switched back to unlimited on the website. Hoping it stays that way.

I escalated to mgmt via the site and never heard anything, fwiw.

I am still, however, waiting for my registration papers 93 days out. Driving unregistered and hoping for the best!

I’m having an equally bad second delivery/post-delivery nightmare, this time with my newest Tesla a fullllly spec’ed MX P100D. One of the issues I need resolved is the life supercharging, which was the deal when I placed a five figure deposit and I began my order but somehow ended a couple weeks before delivery.

How many years ago did you place your deposit? When did you actually place your order?

I placed (date the ACH or wire was received by Tesla I presume) my $40k deposit for a Signature Edition X on Feb 5, 2014.

I confirmed my X and let it sit in the configurator a few times over the next few years, but never pressed order due to life circumstances and other more important business pulling at me. There’s never a perfect time to buy another newly $200k car when you’re still paying off the first, it could be done, and ultimately I did pull the trigger. Had someone from Tesla dropped a letter in the US Mail to let us know if we didn’t order by a certain date hey we’re going to change the terms of the deal and we were going to lose out on the #1 most marketed feature of the past hack decade, free supercharging for life, I’d have ordered that day. There really was nothing that was preventing me from ordering other than a lack of inertia. My initial reason for not ordering immediately was I didn’t think I wanted a buggy X, like how so many of the low serial s cars had their various troubles. I didn’t want to buy a car that was at risk for spending too much of its life in the shop. I I never meant to wait until the third year of [roduction to order our car, I was ready once the P90D became the P100D, and they had a way to upcharge Signature reservation holders for the extra battery. I bet many of the lucky ones did.

So I finally ordered my X in early to mid October (I’d have to look) and remember asking the first Tesla person who wrote me to confirm the order if they could have it to me before Thanksgiving, which he said no problem, then I never herad from him for the next several weeks. When he finally wrote back he apologized of being MIA but offered no details why, but he said he was working on getting the lifetime supercharging and the LTE data sub `resolved.. Never heard from him again. This is my delivery advisor. Everything on the site said my build in progress was coming with 6 months of free supercharging.

So for the approximately 247 weeks they held my $40k deposit and I continued to believe I would get a car delivered that was in spirit the closest they could build for me today (assuming there are obviously subtle build physical differences as improvements were rolled into the X build process), but with regard to the feature specifically Tesla was continuing to offer lifetime supercharging in one form or another for approximately 245 of the 247 weeks between the time they got my money and the day I confirmed build on an X.

While I feel I have a reasonable people would hopefully see it reasonable to deliver the very feature they aggressively marketed for the entire time I have been a Tesla customer (Feb 2014 to date) that they would deliver that feature for my car who’s order began in 2014, missing an arbitrary deadline for NEW ORDERS by less than 1% of the total time.

The problem is who do I even make my case to? I have had 10 conversations with 10 Tesla people during pre and post delivery, and it’s essentially never the same person twice, even those who swear they are going to work on resolving my various pre and post sale issues. It’s also further complicated that I am a Nevada resident who took delivery from the Fremont factory directly, so I have been contacted by people from at least four difffernt Tesla geographical locations, it’s like they don’t know which staff from which state should be helping me, so I’ve spoken with Tesla in Fremont, San Jose, San Rafael, Rocklin (nearest Tesla store / service to us in northern Nevada and of course people from the Las Vegas Nevada store because that’s where Tesla of Nevada is located, I believe co-locafed with the Vegas store/service. And this is supposedly to be flat and more convenient and responsive than a traditional dealer network? This is what happenes when your champion isn’t a 3rd party dealer who can go and advocate your case if you got a lemon or whatever, your champion in Tesla-land is often a young, inexperienced and overworked employee of the same company you find you have the difference with. Tesla needs an OMBUDSMAN at the very least to manage the customer-company breakdowns, and a plan to decrease the chaos going forward. Don’t get me wrong, I remain a Tesla fanboy, but the are making it very hard when the love never comes back, especially we you need it.

Last edited:
Now only a couple of months after Free supercharging became six months of supercharging, they are now bumping six months of free supercharging to nine months.

Watch how, wait six more weeks and Tesla will either make it a year or will be back to offering free lifetime supercharging again.

I have always said that anybody stupid or crazy or fanboy enough to pay the ridiculous premiums for Tesla’s P model cars, or cars like the upcoming $250k base Roadster ought get free supercharging for life no matter what. Premium cars, premium features. I’ve bought two P models and my deposit on the Roadster is about to be made,.. so I.m always looking to find the value between the non P models and P models. Generally speaking a lot feels like the badging is much of it...

After reading a few posts, I've noticed all the people who didn't get free supercharging all had buying scenarios and situations outside the norm. There isn't some grand conspiracy of tesla trying to take away free supercharging people feel like they're entitled to. Just because we don't think Tesla is going out of its way to wrong you or get you, doesn't make us "fanboys."

But fanboys are how we have this company in the first place. I mean who in their right mind would dump $100+k on a car from a company that never made cars before? So trying to use the term fanboy in a derogatory manner is hilarious, just because we know how to enjoy our cars and not sweat little things doesn't make us fanboys. In all honesty, nobody should've had free supercharging after Jan 20187 in the first place.

Reactions: jboy210
FWIW, when I bought mine, it didn't say unlimited supercharging, and that was late 2017 — long before they even talked about changing it to 6 months. I had to email somebody and get them to fix the referral code that somehow had disappeared from the order in the months that passed between when I placed the order and when I actually got the car. These sorts of problems are apparently not that uncommon, and I'm guessing this is why they're stopping the referral program. They never could get the software right. :(

After reading a few posts, I've noticed all the people who didn't get free supercharging all had buying scenarios and situations outside the norm. There isn't some grand conspiracy of tesla trying to take away free supercharging people feel like they're entitled to. Just because we don't think Tesla is going out of its way to wrong you or get you, doesn't make us "fanboys."

But fanboys are how we have this company in the first place. I mean who in their right mind would dump $100+k on a car from a company that never made cars before? So trying to use the term fanboy in a derogatory manner is hilarious, just because we know how to enjoy our cars and not sweat little things doesn't make us fanboys. In all honesty, nobody should've had free supercharging after Jan 20187 in the first place.
I completely agreee! No more free supercharging after the year 20187!

Reactions: shinytop