Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Liftgate intermittently stops working and Tesla service has done nothing for the last 4 months...Crappy Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Liftgate intermittently stops working. More than 4 months gone by and this is just the first year of ownership. Mobile service checked it out and acknowledged the problem and recommended bringing in for service in Oct 2021. The service center in Sunnyvale, CA did not even look at the car but asked to reschedule an appointment in Nov 2021 when the suspect part, the actuator, would arrive. No Actuator in Nov 2021, so service is rescheduled for Dec 2021. No actuator in Dec 2021, so service is scheduled in Jan 2022. In the meantime the liftgate opens by itself. The actuator is ordered anyway. Jan 2022 Liftgate stops working again. Service date is now long gone and new date is fixed for Feb 2021. By the way, the liftgate opened by itself last week. I am not amused by this quality crap. The worst of all TESLA Service sucks the most. Why should anyone tolerate this ? Elon and team, you have a crappy service team and worst of all their knowledge level sucks. I am still hopeful but we all have our limits.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I had the infamous water intrusion. They replaced the appliqué assuring me that it would fix the issue. Actually, it made it worse. The second time they wanted to replace the entire lid. Considering that I had window tint and wrap I decided to do some troubleshooting myself. Removed the trim and had my wife spray water while I was watching from the trunk. 15 min later and some hot glue the problem was solved - very bad appliqué tabs design. I am surprised that not all MS leak.
I am not impressed by their ability to troubleshoot so take everything they say with a grain of salt. It may turn out to be a sensor issue. Also, they tend change entire components, not individual parts. Makes troubleshooting/repairing very expensive. Lack of 3rd party shops is whole another topic…

What a pain. This is a serious security issue that should be addressed. If they don't have the part, they should temporarily secure one from a used Tesla on their lot and replace it when the new part arrives. Service departments do this all the time. Or, as suggested above, a loaner is in order.

Sorry that a random, and uncommon, single part failure has totally soured your experience with Tesla. Parts availability isn't an exclusive Tesla issue, though.