Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light Show Model X issues!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2020 Model X just had the software upgrade and now the light show doesn’t work… Opened the Toybox, clicked light show, clicked start show… lowered all the windows as directed… and exited the car. it used to just start when you lock the doors but they didn’t lock even when I clicked on the key fob… or walked far away from the car. What am I doing wrong?

Sad to say, sometimes the software updates block certain features and it might be necessary to flush the buffers and do a software reset. Look in the sticky threads at the beginning of the Model X section on software resets and progress from the double scrollwheel reset to the manual turn-off to the most extreme, reset tire size reset. Sometimes these will get other software features to come back.

Reactions: m5james
Upvote 0
Well, an update to the Holiday show troubles. On my 2018 MX, the drivers side FWD usually fails when running the holiday show on my car and also on one of my friend's 2016 MX. It errors out as though there is an obstruction and fails to rise, and stops the show. Your experience might be different.

What I have found is that is if I grab the door gently and pull it upward when the door releases, the Holiday show then proceeds and is successful. Occasionally it errors out in the passenger's door but most of the time it is the (for me) the drivers side. I have showed this to the local service center and suggested that perhaps the springs that raise the door might be a problem, but they are unwilling to consider it. So this is my work around for the time being.

Upvote 1
Brand new 2022 MX Plaid. I think I've tried everything to get a light show to work. The play the first 2 or three bars, then stop. I've tried multiple light shows. Downloaded them multiple ways. The car sees the files so the custom light show shows loading but no matter what I do, I only get the first couple bars of sound and lights, then it stops. I've done the scroll wheel restart. I have the most current software. Any ideas? I was hoping to have this working for 4th of July.

Upvote 0
I think it is time for a service call. It should not be acting like that and having a holiday show is one of the best things about having a MX
Really? That makes me laugh. But the car is very sensitive to being on level flat ground, and nothing around it. Problem I had, my granddaughters kept running up to the car during the show, which of course shut it down. I haven't messed around with any of the light show functions. The light show was NOT one of the reasons I bought mine. I think I would be embarrassed to open a service ticket for Light Show not working.

Upvote 0
I am so ashamed! I have brought the car in to the SC 4 separate times for Holiday show malfunction and they have replaced door sensors and realigned the doors and have done other things to it... but it still acts up on the driver's side at times. I have sort of gotten used to it and if it runs now and then, then it is a good day. I like entertaining the neighborhood kids and shocking passers by. You are right, it is very sensitive to nearby objects. Appropriately so.

I also like using the summon feature to back out of the garage or to reposition the car within the lines of a parking area on the street, when I don't get the car *exactly* between the white lines and my girlfriend objects. That also attracts attention.

Upvote 0
Really? That makes me laugh. But the car is very sensitive to being on level flat ground, and nothing around it. Problem I had, my granddaughters kept running up to the car during the show, which of course shut it down. I haven't messed around with any of the light show functions. The light show was NOT one of the reasons I bought mine. I think I would be embarrassed to open a service ticket for Light Show not working.
Did you get it to work? Mine doesn't work in the garage either (2 car garage) with enough space around.

Upvote 0
Did you get it to work? Mine doesn't work in the garage either (2 car garage) with enough space around.
Mine does work. But only outside my garage on level ground. Plenty of room in my garage too, even a 14 foot ceiling. But it won’t work inside. It requires all sides and rear, to be clear of any obstruction for quite a distance. Make sure all observers are in front of the car.

Upvote 0
Brand new 2022 MX Plaid. I think I've tried everything to get a light show to work. The play the first 2 or three bars, then stop. I've tried multiple light shows. Downloaded them multiple ways. The car sees the files so the custom light show shows loading but no matter what I do, I only get the first couple bars of sound and lights, then it stops. I've done the scroll wheel restart. I have the most current software. Any ideas? I was hoping to have this working for 4th of July.
Hi, I'm actually having this same issue. I also have a brand new 2022 MX Plaid. Did you ever figure out how to get the custom light shows to play? (the holiday light show that came with the car works fine but all the custom ones I've downloaded don't seem to work). The same thing happens to me (only the first couple of bars of sounds and lights, then it stops).

Upvote 0

Hi, I'm actually having this same issue. I also have a brand new 2022 MX Plaid. Did you ever figure out how to get the custom light shows to play? (the holiday light show that came with the car works fine but all the custom ones I've downloaded don't seem to work). The same thing happens to me (only the first couple of bars of sounds and lights, then it stops).

Upvote 0
2023 X Plaid picked up in early September and it’s now having this issue after the last update. Worked fine when we first got the car but now it just starts the light show but then stops a couple seconds later- screen goes blank and side mirrors fold in but windows stay rolled down. If I try to roll up all the windows there’s always one that won’t roll up all the way unless I try it multiple times. Tried the wheel size reset but still persists.

Upvote 0