Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lighting Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, guys, I got a 2016 75d ap1 facelift model s. I installed two lights in the trunk where there was none by punching out the velcro tesla has installed and found the wiring. My question is the two rear doors had cutouts for puddle lights and I took them out and took apart the door to find the wiring and guide it through. I plug in the light and it's not powering on. Does tesla need to activate some software or what do I do to get power to the rear door puddle lights? Thank You

yes i found the connectors and i plugged them in but the lights dont work

Do you have the ambient lighting option if your car? If not you might have accidentally plugged your puddle lights into those connectors. I don’t have ambient lighting in my car and when I took the door panel off I found two sets of connectors. One is for the ambient lighting and one is for the puddle lights. Good way to do it is to plug the light so while the car is on and you’ll find the right one. The puddle light connectors don’t require Tesla to activate or modify any software. The ambient light does require Tesla to activate.

Do you have the ambient lighting option if your car? If not you might have accidentally plugged your puddle lights into those connectors. I don’t have ambient lighting in my car and when I took the door panel off I found two sets of connectors. One is for the ambient lighting and one is for the puddle lights. Good way to do it is to plug the light so while the car is on and you’ll find the right one. The puddle light connectors don’t require Tesla to activate or modify any software. The ambient light does require Tesla to activate.
I do not have ambient lights but there is only one wire in the door so I don’t think it could be anything else is there a link you can attach to show me the wire I need to connect to the puddle light?

This is accurate info. When I said, there's been two sets, go back and look in my post, it meant go back and look again for the other connector. What we have heard in the past is that the ones you want to use are hot easily accessible because they are tie wrapped up and out of the way. People had to pull the inside door panel off to access them.
And willjou is correct again about making sure the car is on. The car will turn the door lights and trunk lights off after about ten minutes. If you are not done and ready to test by then, you need to close and open the door again - maybe even sit in the seat and press the brake to turn those lights on again.

This is accurate info. When I said, there's been two sets, go back and look in my post, it meant go back and look again for the other connector. What we have heard in the past is that the ones you want to use are hot easily accessible because they are tie wrapped up and out of the way. People had to pull the inside door panel off to access them.
And willjou is correct again about making sure the car is on. The car will turn the door lights and trunk lights off after about ten minutes. If you are not done and ready to test by then, you need to close and open the door again - maybe even sit in the seat and press the brake to turn those lights on again.
Will do! I’m about to take it off again could you tell me what the one I connected is for?

Not sure if this helps but I just installed mine last night. The rear passenger connector has black and white wires. The driver side was green and black.
Not sure if this helps but I just installed mine last night. The rear passenger connector has black and white wires. The driver side was green and black.
That helped so much thank you! thank you everyone also if i want to get those light strips for underneath the doors like ambient packaghe how much would that cost and to get the software activated? Thanks

Its iffy if you can pay to get them activated. As I recall they were part of an option package. So finding a tech at an SC might be a chore. But cost nothing to ask next time you are in.

That post (in the link above #13) from BigTony was what I remember. It was not easy to get to either. And I think BigTony was the first to discover the other connectors were there.

When you guys have mastered these, look here. There's a lot of lighting improvement choices. Mods

I wanted trunk lights that looked more factory. I mounted these under my parcel shelf bracket. Looks like OEM factory

Last edited: