Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightning/Roadster comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which simply demonstrates that if you treat a piece of technology as a museum piece, and don't use it that much/hardly ever over 100 years, it will last 100 years.

Fancy that.

Let's promise to only drive our cars a few miles every Sunday. Just think how long they'll last.

Last edited:
London to Brighton Veteran Car Run - The Links Page

The rules:

1) Drive from London to Brighton
2) Your car must be 1905 or older

sun07x10.jpg

The 528 entries, all built between 1895 and 1904 include three electric vehicles built between 1900 and 1903, nineteen steam vehicles and 102 International entries from as far away as Australia, United States of America, Canada, Mexico, South Africa and China.

I went along for the ride two years ago - but my wheels were only 1934 vintage, so we didn't count :smile:

Come on Tesla - why aren't you working on steam? Call yourself a car company?[/I]

Thanks for the kind consideration & thinking of me not only all the time but serve me in advance:)
I really appreciate!

Basically Tesla is working on steam already

- vaporware is a kind of steam,. isn't it?
There / Musk is great in that field today.

Fact is - around 1900 Ev could run 60 miles - 100 years later they run 120 miles.
Big deal.
If computer would have been developed at this pace we would be a century before the abacus.

Fink,

First of all make that 120 miles actually 240 miles as in the case of the Roadster. And then, you are seeing a four fold increase in the same hundred years. I think that is substantial. Not to mention that you are now doing it at 100 mph not a max of 25 mph. I think that actually makes it a 16 fold increase if my math is correct ....

Fink,

First of all make that 120 miles actually 240 miles as in the case of the Roadster. And then, you are seeing a four fold increase in the same hundred years. I think that is substantial. Not to mention that you are now doing it at 100 mph not a max of 25 mph. I think that actually makes it a 16 fold increase if my math is correct ....

50 years after the 1909 EV roadster one single megabyte hard disc storage had the size of a large family fridge and costed the equivalent of a midsized house.

sixteen fold increase (your calculation is wide off the mark - but anyhow) in EV mobile usability over a 100 years time frame if would be correct - it is in the calculation over 100 years (I gave you 50 years advance) nothing.

And thats exactly what it is.
Nothing.

Or better said - a shame.

Ask any securities expert what he thinks of doubling of value over a timeframe of 100 years as and claim this as promising business model
- you get a prescription at a medic at best.

Last edited:
50 years after the 1909 EV roadster one single megabyte hard disc storage had the size of a large family fridge and costed the equivalent of a midsized house.

Complete and utter straw man. All the technology that has improved hard drive capacity up until recently was well within the bounds of regular physics. It's only in recent years that a relatively new branch of physics - GMR - was needed to push the boundary.

EVs on the other hand are up against the bleeding edge of chemistry and electro-chemical engineering. Do you not think that with all the uses in the computing and consumer electronics world, if batteries could have already been made better, they would have been?

Ask any securities expert what he thinks of doubling of value over a timeframe of 100 years as and claim this as promising business model

You are assuming that everything in life adheres to some kind of "Moore's Law". It doesn't.

Complete and utter straw man. All the technology that has improved hard drive capacity up until recently was well within the bounds of regular physics. It's only in recent
You are assuming that everything in life adheres to some kind of "Moore's Law". It doesn't.

There is always a excuse (watch the boring press releases and announcements from GM, Chrysler, Ford and comrades)
but in international interconnected times excuses why not will not cut it anymore.

Also not for Tesla

Watch out what seasoned european & asian car producers outside the US will bring in 2009 to the EV field not in homeopathic doses but as a avalanche.
By then GM & Chrysler (Cerberus) Tesla will be history.

Tesla has a chance - a small one - I hope they use the little time left not to keep stubbornly on a backward focused technology.

Last edited:
There is always a excuse (watch the boring press releases and announcements from GM, Chrysler, Ford and comrades)
but in international interconnected times excuses why not will not do it anymore.

Also not for Tesla

Watch out what the producers outside the US will bring in 2009 not in homeopathic doses but as a avalanche.
By then GM & Chrysler (Cerberus) Tesla will be history.

And these non-US EVs will have a range of 2^66 times that of Jay Leno's Baker Electric will they? :rolleyes:

And these non-US EVs will have a range of 2^66 times that of Jay Leno's Baker Electric will they? :rolleyes:

Not sure about the range. But range is not everything.
Usability is it.
And keep your nice :rolleyes - you will need them when you shall see the products rolling out.

Sorrily I have to tell you I cannot entertain you anymore as I have to say goodbye as I will attend a cruise ship to Tallin & St. Petersburg.
There are priorities and priorities

I'll be back...
:)

So any speed beyond 25 mph would have sent the car to the pond - a computer was science fiction then.

So the roads have improved and the Baker has not. Quaint as an old wide-leather belt drill press next to a CNC mill.

"That car drives with its original Edison batteries today"..."From nowadays batteries there will not remain a chemical trace then - the Edison batteries probably will work in 100 years from now still..."

Actually Jay has said the batteries were rebuilt then replaced. That means the old ones were redone with new fluids, wires and lead plates that have totally been replaced (more than once) in the "batteries" read: "EMPTY BOX". Then they were updated. Kinda takes the shine off the "original batteries" cache.

"You cannot buy any product today (besides original swiss watches) which will guaranteed still work in 100 years."

Well Baker made no such claim but I have many products with lifetime warrenties and they will easliy go 100 years. Malcom rightly points out items of style (like sunglasses (Smith and Tifosi)) can easily make this claim as they know their products will be out of fashion long before a lifetime is reached But some products I own and have tested the claims on can be seen in a Google Lifetime Warrenty search. Leatherman, Gerber, Pelican cases, Koss...

By the way,

Does anyone have a list of the items a car would and must have now for safety?

Would have, wider tires, Must have, air bags, Would have, lights on all 4 sides, Must have, crash protection.

Our antagonist poo poos the idea that a car Must have brakes, but I want to drive my new car to work not just on a track or dry lake.

Both target production volume and intended market seem to be crucial. And it appears that by launching in the UK, and keeping the numbers low Lightning can...er...make their money go further ( http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/news-articles-events/1442-treacherous-roads-evs.html )

It would seem that things are much more relaxed here in the UK. Not sure I agree with this - feels like too much of a loophole.

I can understand a small company wanting to avoid crash testing, but I would much rather that they did it anyway. And I am uneasy at the prospect of a car without some form of pedal brake.

These early days are all about giving early EV adopters as much of a familiar experience as possible - and even so, people have "range anxiety". Let's not add "brake anxiety".

Then again, maybe I just don't have the cahoonas Worst Atom Crash EVER (images)

Last edited:
I am uneasy at the prospect of a car without some form of pedal brake.

Trust me, this car does have a brake pedal (A nice touch is + for acceleration and - for brake), but you need to have confidence that 3000Nm of torque can stop pretty effectively as well as go pretty effectively. I have full confidence that these guys can implement a safe and fast propulsion system in the not-to-distant-future.

(Perhaps stating the obvious, but) It is just disconcerting (and harder to convince of reliability) when there is so much technology between the command and the result. Proven old fashioned friction brakes don't fail to operate because of a firmware bug, or CPU malfunction. Brake failure is more dangerous than a motor failure.

I believe that the use of only regenerative braking is, as I've said before, not adequate. My Vectrix's regen braking is wonderful, and I use it as my primary braking, when I'm moving. But if I didn't have the friction brakes, I wouldn't be riding it at all; I couldn't safely keep it from rolling when stopped on any slope.

I've read the Lightning literature, and I'm just not buying their assertions that they are using only regen braking. They've got to be using something additional, and friction braking is the obvious choice. I personally don't have a problem with it if they are, except to point out that those wheel hubs are getting crowded with plenty of complexity.

What are the regulations concerning automobile braking systems in the UK? Are we just a bunch of Nervous Nellies here on this side of the pond, and the UK auto manufacturers are using all sorts of new, exciting, innovative braking systems?