Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightning Ryan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got into BEVs around 2000, followed EVDL for a few years before participating numerous PHEV projects including my own 2005 Prius. Enjoy EV Drag racing and AutoCross and the efficiency and torque of an electric drive train. Have also had a 2012 PHEV-12(8) Prius, but have given up on Toyota and most other OEMs. Drove a lizard pack Leaf and later a pre-lizard with 8/12 bars, hard pressed to make my 40mi one way back home after a DCFC on the way in, but still respect Nissan for the valiant early effort, but wish they had been more helpful about DIY swaps.

So I traded up to a Bolt, later realizing this was the first non Tesla to match the flagship minimum 60kWh capacity. Bolt is proving to be a great BEV so while I have forgiven GM for the EV1, I have not forgotten what they did back then. Also have a Pacifica PHEV-33(solid 33mi EV range) that is a great minimum bar I would hope all PHEVs would live up to.

A Hybrid is not an electric car, they just do some EV tricks, but not the most important one which is an ability to choose your fuel source. Built small Li packs some decade plus ago and it still impressing me today. Got into PEM and Metal-Hydride Fool Cell tech some time ago as well, very neat, but can't hold a candle to a simple battery, unless you are going for a Rude Goldberg storage paradigm.

Fuel my home and cars with Solar PV in an un-ideal region and still manage to generate enough for 80mi daily round trip commute. Did it on level 1 for a year with my first Leaf, so have experienced some early adopter woes which were still well worth the effort to be able to boycott fossil fuels. Happy to share the EVgrin with anyone open to new possibilities.