Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lights that are off were Flickering when Powerwall Off Grid.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my power wall switched on last night during a power flash I had a very strange thing happen. I have a ceiling fan that is a fan and a light. Standard Hunter fan with light kit. It is a remote control fan / light combo and the light was OFF and the fan was ON. When the powerwalls were running the home the lights on the fan (which were off) began to flicker. They are LED and this could be expected if they were on but makes no sense why they would flicker when they are off. Why would the lights flicker while being powered by the powerwall when they were off? The fan I understand as it was on but the lights were off and still flickered.

Your fan/light switch is probably electronic and not a physical switch. It is probably sensitive to frequency. The default PW setting has a high frequency. Ideally it is supposed to be 60 hz but Tesla often sets it at 64-65 Hz. You can ask them to reduce it, but they won't go to 60 Hz. Maybe 62Hz. Let them know you have these issues and ask them to lower the frequency. No guarantees as I am down to 61.5 Hz and still have some issues with smart switches.