Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Link to key fob 1" not available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
When trying to link our two key fobs to our profiles I seemed to have them reversed such that I had my wife's link and she had mine. So I went into driver profiles and deleted both links intending to start from scratch and relink them. But now the message "link to key fob" is gone so I can't figure out how to relink them. Any thoughts?

we had a similar problem when we first tried pairing the key fobs, and indeed after the car was locked and unlocked the "pair with key fob #X" message came up in the driver profiles. Funny thing was, when I did do the pairing, it was just after we got home and we both had the key fobs with us. I foolishly selected Keyfob # 1 for my profile, and then couldn't figure out why I couldn't select Keyfob # 2 for hers. Well- turns out the car had sensed her Keyfob instead of mine, so it was "on" using her Keyfob even though she had gone into the house while I was fiddling with the driver profiles. Anyway, once I realized that her key fob was the one that the car was working with, and selected Keyfob # 1 for her profile, I let the car shut completely down, ( and I walked away from it until the mirrors folded in) then I approached the car with my key fob- and then I was able to link Key fob # 2 to my profile.

• Informative
Reactions: P-town_P85
Lock and unlock the car with the fob.
Thanks, a manual lock and unlock with the fob brought back the "link to key fob" option! Apparently auto lock and unlock doesn't bring back the link and that's what we've been using. I had totally deleted both profiles, which was of course overkill and probably contributed to the issue.

Last edited:
I also found that I needed to be sitting in the driver's seat so I could tap the brake pedal and turn the car on. When I tried to program the second fob sitting in the passenger seat, it wouldn't give me the option to link any fobs since no one was in the driver's seat and the car wasn't fully powered up. The displays were all on, but that wansn't enough for programming fobs.