Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

little concerned with cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without a 240v charging option don't do it. Even with 240 volt charging, and no way to charge for 200 miles in extreme cold weather that's probably really pushing it. 3's are not the best cold weather cars. Freezing door handles and frame-less windows in addition to charging I would probably look for something else. Or get use another vehicle for those 200 mile trips.

I hear all this about freezing door handles and windows and haven’t had it happen to me once in Alaska. I always pre heat for 10-15 min when I leave work though. Also per the frameless windows being bad in the cold. Most Subaru’s have frameless windows and most consider (me included) Subaru’s to be the benchmark for winter vehicles. Top Subaru states: VT, ME, NH, CO, MT, OR, AK

I hear all this about freezing door handles and windows and haven’t had it happen to me once in Alaska. I always pre heat for 10-15 min when I leave work though. Also per the frameless windows being bad in the cold. Most Subaru’s have frameless windows and most consider (me included) Subaru’s to be the benchmark for winter vehicles. Top Subaru states: VT, ME, NH, CO, MT, OR, AK
You would know much better than I would!

So -23F this AM high was -9 and currently -11. I lost 5% today with the car sitting outside for 11 hours at those temps. That 5% includes 15min pre heat to 67F. No more “snowflake” when I got in the car to go home, full regen.

I drive fast 70-75 in cold 0-10 degrees
Slightly uphill to ski area in Maine
It sucks range very fast
Leave with “300 miles “drive 135 miles arrive 65 miles left so barely 200 miles
Glad there is destination charger
Suspect in summer could almost do round trip on one charge

I drive fast 70-75 in cold 0-10 degrees
Slightly uphill to ski area in Maine
It sucks range very fast
Leave with “300 miles “drive 135 miles arrive 65 miles left so barely 200 miles
Glad there is destination charger
Suspect in summer could almost do round trip on one charge
Pretty impressive the car can do that much with those conditions. My Leaf (rated range 150) would be lucky to get 60 or 70 miles going that fast at those temps uphill.

Reactions: C141medic