Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Live in Seattle, buy in San Francisco?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I'm a confused newbie potential customer- looking for a Model 3 Performance. Right now there are zero Model 3 Performance cars available in the Pacific Northwest. The local dealer just says "keep checking our inventory, it changes all the time". Why can't they grab one from California for me? Anything to stop me from ordering one I see in the Cali inventory, flying down and driving it back? I assume I'd pay only WA state sales tax & reg, true? Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Logistics involved in shipping an inventory car from out of state is more complicated and expensive than loading a truckload from the factory.

Not sure how it works if buying out of state. They might not know how to handle registration etc for other states so you might have to do it yourself.

Why not just order one instead of trying to find inventory?

You will have to pay CA sales tax but WA DMV will give you credit for the entire amount you paid.

see this link…

if it’s a lower amount then you could ask CA for a refund on the overpayment. I believe WA sales tax is higher so you will owe a small amount.

also, make sure you don’t have them license your car in CA. You only need a temp plate for CA and then take the car to WA DMV and get your plates. WA has a higher licensing fee and higher sales tax, I believe.

that’s part of how the state makes up for not charging any income tax.

Hi I'm a confused newbie potential customer- looking for a Model 3 Performance. Right now there are zero Model 3 Performance cars available in the Pacific Northwest. The local dealer just says "keep checking our inventory, it changes all the time". Why can't they grab one from California for me? Anything to stop me from ordering one I see in the Cali inventory, flying down and driving it back? I assume I'd pay only WA state sales tax & reg, true? Thanks for any advice you can provide!
Check out Page 5 of this guide:

California Buyer's Guide to Tax - CDTFA https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/formspubs/pub452.pdf

Attachments

• pub452.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 176
Just occurred to me that if I buy out of state iI need to make sure it doesn't jeopardize the $2000 WA state sales tax credit on EVs. That is a savings on top of the Federal tax credit.

If I had some idea on the wait time for ordering locally and waiting as suggested that would help. Any idea where that info resides, or is it too hard to predict? Teslas business model just seems like a bit of an unfamiliar world of random supply vs demand. : )

Wow I'm so impressed at the speed and amount of information I just received from you guys. Thank you very much!
I have bought/pick up Tesla from Las Vegas, Nevada and registered in Washington - there I can confirm that they charge you WA sales tax and registration fees.

I have a point of contact there that is very knowledgeable of out of state buyer, lemme know.

Just occurred to me that if I buy out of state iI need to make sure it doesn't jeopardize the $2000 WA state sales tax credit on EVs. That is a savings on top of the Federal tax credit.

If I had some idea on the wait time for ordering locally and waiting as suggested that would help. Any idea where that info resides, or is it too hard to predict? Teslas business model just seems like a bit of an unfamiliar world of random supply vs demand. : )
There is no sales tax exemption for vehicles over $45000

I bought my inventory M3 is OR and brought it back to WA. Tesla just charged me WA state tax and sent me the registration. I doubt if buying in CA is any different unless there are some weird CA laws in place to prevent such things.
Probably pretty common for WA residents to buy in Oregon since there is were no Tesla locations in southern WA until recently, so they probably are familiar with how to handle WA taxes and registration.

I wouldn’t expect CA locations to know how.

Hello Jack1959. Don't know what the status is for your M3P acqusition. However, if you are willing to travel within state, and you like blue, there is a M3P at the Liberty Lake Tesla dealership (basically Spokane Valley).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 5.49.51 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 5.49.51 AM.png
    374.4 KB · Views: 65
I have bought/pick up Tesla from Las Vegas, Nevada and registered in Washington - there I can confirm that they charge you WA sales tax and registration fees.

I have a point of contact there that is very knowledgeable of out of state buyer, lemme know.
Hi, can you tell me more? I was thinking of taking delivery in Nevada registering in texas to avoid sales tax in California because I was to modify the car at unplugged in Hawthorne… I’m getting dizzy but seems to avoid losing 5k or so from weird tax laws