Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Load Shed Module?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had My install completed on Wednesday, I insta;lled the 100A load shed above my panels and the wall charger on the concrete piller between my garage doors .

Attachments

• 100A load shed.jpg
    100A load shed.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Tesla wall charger .jpg
    Tesla wall charger .jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 51
I had My install completed on Wednesday, I insta;lled the 100A load shed above my panels and the wall charger on the concrete piller between my garage doors .
My problem is I have three Tesla wall chargers each with 60amp lines and a generac shed unit attached to each. I’ve lost three units so far in three years. The units seem to go when there is a power loss and restore with or without generator start up. I just lost another. I have 400 amp service. Anyone else lose these shed units?

My problem is I have three Tesla wall chargers each with 60amp lines and a generac shed unit attached to each. I’ve lost three units so far in three years. The units seem to go when there is a power loss and restore with or without generator start up. I just lost another. I have 400 amp service. Anyone else lose these shed units?
I lost a load shed unit after about two and a half years. I believe Generac is replacing them for free but you have to go through an authorized Generac contractor. I was not able to find service alert bulletin from Generac so you will have to push your electrician to get the free replacement

Interestingly, that part of the charging setup is not made available in the app. You can start and stop, and you can set the state of charge limit, but they don't let you change the amps on the phone app. That has to be done on the car's screen. I don't really know why.
Perhaps there is different functionality on the app for your 2014 S85, or perhaps there is different functionality on Apple phones vice other smart phones. Or perhaps I am just misunderstanding your point. With my 2021 MYLR I can adjust the amperage while charging, using my Apple phone app. This is on my previous generation Tesla wall charger. I have a 60 amp service, which allows me 48 amps at the car. However, I have set mine at 40 amps using the window just below the charging limit bar, I experimented with other settings as well while trying to identify the charge rate that gave me maximum charging efficiency. To arrive at this figure, I measured against the efficiency ratings reported by teslafi in their emailed charging reports. With 40 amps I am averaging 96% charging efficiency. Hope this is helpful.

Added by edit: I neglected to mention my generator. I installed a 40k Gnerac following Hurricane Ivan. It carries two water heaters, three a/c units, and the rest of the house without a problem, running at a quiet 1800rpm. Perhaps that was why my electrical contractor made no mention of a requirement for shedding load.

Last edited:
I have a Generac whole home generator as well. I have 3 load shed modules already for 2 HVAC systems and a pool heat pump. When they did the install I had the pool equipment moved off the sub panel and on the main panel to run off generator power. The sub panel will not be covered by the generator and my EV charger will run off that panel. If I need to charge during extended power outages I will just use the normal mobile connector off a 20 amp circuit in the garage.

Reactions: davewill
Bump - I also have whole house generator (16kw Generac) and was curious if load shed is really necessary if I install Tesla Wall charger. I feel like probably is pretty low that one day I am charging, I lose power and it's running on Generac. Couldn't I just unplug/stop charging the EV when this happens?

Bump - I also have whole house generator (16kw Generac) and was curious if load shed is really necessary if I install Tesla Wall charger. I feel like probably is pretty low that one day I am charging, I lose power and it's running on Generac. Couldn't I just unplug/stop charging the EV when this happens?
What happens if you go out to dinner using an ICE car, or are away on vacation, or are just asleep? Heck even if you are awake and at your home, how long before your 16kw generator is either going to outright fail or, more likely trip its output breaker while your EV is taking 11kw and the rest of your house is taking another 11kw(or even more)?

What happens if you go out to dinner using an ICE car, or are away on vacation, or are just asleep? Heck even if you are awake and at your home, how long before your 16kw generator is either going to outright fail or, more likely trip its output breaker while your EV is taking 11kw and the rest of your house is taking another 11kw(or even more)?
OK - fine, I'll cough up the extra $500 :D