Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Local/Regional shop in WNY to get new wheels/tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the nearest service center is 4+ hours away, can anyone let me know if they've had good/bad experiences with local shops putting on winter wheels and/or tires.

Like, is Tesla ok with it.. do all the sensors work, etc. Not necessarily looking for public recommendations just overall experiences.

I've got a trusted auto shop in town but it would make sense to have some recommended Tesla places to go for us Western NYers. Tesla had nothing for me when I asked.

Normally it's no big deal but this thing is a different type of machine than I'm used to dealing with.

Not speaking for western NY but I bought OEM rims on eBay, ordered my winters from Tire Rack, along with TPMS, and had them shipped to a local shop in CT. They mounted the tires, TPMS and balanced. I do the wheel swap myself after T'giving. There is nothing magical about the tires or rims. Go to a local shop that you trust with your other vehicles.

If you have them mount the wheels on the vehicle, make sure they know where to position the lift points and the right torque for the lug nuts.

Tesla told me they will mount and balance for free if I have OEM parts. I have a 21" set of everything on order currently. While I could have a local shop do it, since I'm only about two hours away I'll just have Tesla do it. If it were four hours I might just go locally, not sure, I would be nervous taking the car to just any local shop, I would probably take it to a higher end shop and provide explicit instructions regarding lifting the car (and no opening the frunk!)