Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Location Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove off the ferry at the Hook of Holland on Sunday morning and the Sat Nav was still showing UK, unable to plot my route I relied on the iPhone and google maps until I could find somewhere to stop.

I called Tesla and they advised on a hard reset. I did this drove around 5 miles and it picked up my correct location. Anyone had a similar experience?

Used to be a common thing with old hand-held GPS receivers before mobile mast assist came in. If you move too far away from a known position when the car is off then the satellite almanac gets confused.

"I've been offline for 5 hours, so based on where I was when I turned off (~Dover) / lost satellite reception (in the ferry hold) and the GPS almanac I had from 5 hours ago, I should be able to see these satellites... erm... *sugar* where am I !?"

Reactions: Roy W.
Used to be a common thing with old hand-held GPS receivers before mobile mast assist came in. If you move too far away from a known position when the car is off then the satellite almanac gets confused.

"I've been offline for 5 hours, so based on where I was when I turned off (~Dover) / lost satellite reception (in the ferry hold) and the GPS almanac I had from 5 hours ago, I should be able to see these satellites... erm... *sugar* where am I !?"

I had been offline for over 8 hours, all sorted now and worked flawlessly to navigate me to my destination.

I drove off the ferry at the Hook of Holland on Sunday morning and the Sat Nav was still showing UK, unable to plot my route I relied on the iPhone and google maps until I could find somewhere to stop.

I called Tesla and they advised on a hard reset. I did this drove around 5 miles and it picked up my correct location. Anyone had a similar experience?

Off the ferry at Portsmouth from Santander we were without useful route/location for the hour or so it took to get thru customs and immigration. A slow moving queue is not the time to hit the reset button