Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app for Model Y flitting between random GPS locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this is limited to the Model Y or a general issue with the iPhone app, but I have seen somewhat consistently that in some locations, attempting to view the GPS location of the car via the app map starts off in the correct location but then very quickly flits between wildly different locations seemingly randomly.

For example, in a particular part of Cornwall that my wife drives to weekly, the app map will show the correct location but then start switching very quickly between some random locations in the Middle East and Africa, sometimes in the middle of the sea. Closing the map and re-opening it seems to fix the issue for a second or two before it starts again.

I have tried to find a pattern with these locations but come up empty (thought it might be to do with them being on some zero lat/long or something similar but I don't think so).

Anyone else seen this/have thought on what the issue may be?

Nope no screen protector on my phone - it seems to be a fault either with the app or the car reporting its position. Flit as in jumping randomly between locations all across the world. One second the map will show Cornwall, UK, the next second it will be somewhere in the Middle East and a second after that it will be in the middle of an ocean...

I'm not sure if this is limited to the Model Y or a general issue with the iPhone app, but I have seen somewhat consistently that in some locations, attempting to view the GPS location of the car via the app map starts off in the correct location but then very quickly flits between wildly different locations seemingly randomly.

For example, in a particular part of Cornwall that my wife drives to weekly, the app map will show the correct location but then start switching very quickly between some random locations in the Middle East and Africa, sometimes in the middle of the sea. Closing the map and re-opening it seems to fix the issue for a second or two before it starts again.

I have tried to find a pattern with these locations but come up empty (thought it might be to do with them being on some zero lat/long or something similar but I don't think so).

Anyone else seen this/have thought on what the issue may be?
Hi there! A Google search showed your post and interestingly your post seems to be the only mention of the exact same problem I also have for my app.

It doesn’t really affect the in in-car navigation so I might just ignore this annoying jumping around.

I’m curious if you have found more info or fixed this.

Hi there! A Google search showed your post and interestingly your post seems to be the only mention of the exact same problem I also have for my app.

It doesn’t really affect the in in-car navigation so I might just ignore this annoying jumping around.

I’m curious if you have found more info or fixed this.

Yeah in-car is fine, it's only the app that has the issue so I don't know if it's a bug in the app or how the car reports its location. I've not been able to find any pattern to where/when this happens, any ideas on why or how to fix it. I've chalked it up to the "random bugs" box along with the other bug that randomly started charging the car even when I'd expressly stopped a charge. That seems to have been fixed in the last couple of months so I'm hoping that if I just ignore it for a while it'll be fixed. It wasn't like this all the time so it's defo a bug that has been introduced maybe within the last year.

My Model Y has been doing this over past two months. If I look at the car's location on the app, it will initially show the correct location, then it will start flipping through random locations around the world.
I am wondering if its a privacy thing, as it doesn't do it when its at home in the garage, or I have driven it to work, but when my wife is driving it or she has parked it somewhere other then her work seems to be when the location jumps around.

My Model Y has been doing this over past two months. If I look at the car's location on the app, it will initially show the correct location, then it will start flipping through random locations around the world.
I am wondering if its a privacy thing, as it doesn't do it when its at home in the garage, or I have driven it to work, but when my wife is driving it or she has parked it somewhere other then her work seems to be when the location jumps around.
Interesting theory but it seems more random for me. It happens in some places but then my wife may be driving in other places and the map is just fine. Still haven’t been able to determine any sort of pattern to it. Either when it does it or the places it chooses to go to.

Still an issue here on 2023.44.1 and app 4.47.1

Have tried reinstalling app, updating cars and iOS to no avail.

As with you, navigation in the car shows the correct location while this is on-going, and it doesn’t make a difference if the phone is in the car while the app is open or not. Privacy settings in iOS do not change the behaviour.

Tesla replaced the GPS antenna on my car, but eventually we found the issue was my use of Teslamate, which when configured to use the streaming owner API interferes with Tesla app gps operation. Disabling streaming API in Teslamate fixed the issue.

Apparently an overhaul of Teslas APIs is incoming that among other things will fix this defect.

Tesla replaced the GPS antenna on my car, but eventually we found the issue was my use of Teslamate, which when configured to use the streaming owner API interferes with Tesla app gps operation. Disabling streaming API in Teslamate fixed the issue.

Apparently an overhaul of Teslas APIs is incoming that among other things will fix this defect.

Interesting, I use Teslamate too and never thought that would be the issue. I'll try your fix, thanks.