TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Locked in new options today

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Palpatine, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

#1 Palpatine, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
    I have gotten enough info about the Tesla Motors situation and decided to move forward. The new options are now visible on the website, so I locked my options in.

Here they are:

Radiant Red
    Solar Guard Windshield
    Tesla Paint Armor
    Electronics Group
    Tesla Motors custom floor mats
    Interior colors: premium two-tone, rally 2, black/red, black head restraint
    Forged Tesla wheels - black
    High Power Connector
    Mobile connector - MC120 (included)

The adjustable suspension is not yet available as an option, otherwise I might have gotten that.

The other options that I left off were:
    1) Carbon Fiber Hardtop, which I might order later.
    2) Performance Tires
    3) Mobile Connector - MC240
    4) Battery replacement
    5) Extended warranty

This is an image of what mine will look like. The only difference is that I did rally 2 and I think this is rally 1.

radiant_red_black_and_red_interior_black_headrest.jpg

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Congrats, James. Great to hear it.

3. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

My only concern is how the black wheels will looks with Radiant Red. They looked amazing with the Orange Roadster. But I have not yet seen a Radiant Red combined with the black wheels.

It could be an expensive mistake. We will see.

4. donauker

donauker Member

James, I am somewhat confused by your signature line. Your user title indicates that you get Roadster # 414 and your signature indicates a 2009 Roadster. Has the 2008 model production run been dramatically reduced?

5. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

The signature line is wrong. I was at one point considering taking a delay for the Sport model, which would have been a 2009.

I recently decided to move forward with a 2008.

6. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

James.
    What have they told you will be an approximation for delivery of your #414?

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Were you talking about the mock up renderings of the Sport concept?:
    3218640418_81975e565e_o.jpg

I know it isn't a stock color, but I would tend to call it red, not orange.

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

There are cars already on the road with these black wheels. I think it will look fine.

9. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

The second week of May.

10. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

I was referring to Very Orange, not the mock up rendering.

When I was at Menlo Park, I saw a Very Orange Roadster being serviced. I was told that the owner did the wheels black aftermarket right after it was delivered. It looked AMAZING.

The contrast between Very Orange and the Black Tesla wheels was really stunning. It was enough to almost get me to change my color.

I am hoping that the Radiant Red also looks good with the black wheels. I think it will, but I am not sure. I have never seen it in person or in a picture.

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, Orange was a surprise. From the web site choices I didn't think it would be a good color, but in person it just works well on the Roadster. (IMHO)

Black & orange sounds ready for Halloween.
    halloween_black_cat.jpg
    3237229718_ef2a2ae423.jpg

12. SByer

SByer '08 #383

I, too, re-locked in today (#481).

Radiant Red, colored hardtop, windshield, armor, floor mats, electronics, 2-tone interior traditional + headrest black/saddle, black wheels with performance tires. I stared at the RR in back on Tuesday for about 15 minutes visualizing the black wheels - I think they'll look great. I've seen a picture of the RR w/ colored hardtop, and it looks really good, and I can always get the carbon fiber later. Dropped the HPC based on Elon's comments, plus I'm lucky in that I'm able to plug-in at work.

I've been given a delivery estimate of mid-June. That'll make for a great summer!

13. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

For all of you that are re-locking what is the cost delta at the new rate and what additional stuff are you getting that you were not getting before ?

14. doug

James, can I ask what base price you're paying for a 2008MY Roadster?

If it's the $125K Tesla has been advertising, I'm curious why you didn't go with the Sport. It seems like a much better value for a little more coin (and a couple more months). Is it particularly important for you to have a first model year car? Either way I'm sure you're happy with your choice. :)

15. doug

#15 doug, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
    Were you able to find out if your hardtop will be painted at the same time as the rest of the body panels? Will it be delivered to you with the car?
    Certainly sounds like it! :smile:

16. SByer

SByer '08 #383

My base price is still $92k. No, they haven't said anything about the hardtops, but there were a handful of cars at the store that had the hardtops on, so I think they're starting to get there again. I suspect I won't have a problem. If they tell me it will be delayed, I may change my mind and change to the carbon fiber, since if it's not painted at the same time, it might not exactly match.

The black wheels, performance tires, and pre-selecting the paint armor are the only changes I made along with not getting the HPC. It's about an $8k delta. I still think it's a bargain for what the car is.

17. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

#17 Palpatine, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
    I have been agonizing over this issue for weeks ever since they told me about the Sport model. It really makes sense in my situation to take the delay and get a Sport option. It is a much better value for only a bit more money.

So I contacted Tesla Motors this week and switched to the Sport model. I will likely get in in July instead of May. So a two month delay.

The only other change I made was to dump the HPC. After listening to the Town Hall meeting, it is clear that a new HPC is being designed for the Model S and there will be an adapter for Roadsters to use that. That HPC will likely be cheaper, because of the higher volumes, and lighter. Elon mentioned that he thinks the current HPC is too awkward.

Tesla Sport $128,500
    Metallic Paint $1,000
    Electronics Group $3,000
    Floor Mats $150
    Paint Armor $1,495
    Premium Seats $1,800
    240 V 30 A MC $1,500
    Delivery $1,950
    Windshield $400
    120 V MC included
    Black Tesla Wheels included
    Upgraded Motor included
    Adjustable Suspension included
    Performance Tires included

$139,795
    No sales tax on electric vehicles in the state of Washington !!!

Just doing my bit to keep Tesla Motors cash flow positive !!!

18. doug

Congratulations, James. What colors did you pick?

Hmm... interesting. It just occurred to me to ask, what about the options? You'd think that they'd charge tax on the options because they are <ahem> optional. Luxury options at that.

19. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

It is such a low volume car I doubt the state legislature even considered the Tesla Roadster when they wrote the law. It covers all cars that get greater than 40 mpg. It is valid from 1/1/09 till 12/31/2010. Electric vehicles also qualify for the sales tax holiday.

20. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Doug,

I thought the Sport option only came in that weird red color. Did they change that ? I know they were talking about changing it ...