Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked in new options today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have gotten enough info about the Tesla Motors situation and decided to move forward. The new options are now visible on the website, so I locked my options in.

Here they are:

Radiant Red
Solar Guard Windshield
Tesla Paint Armor
Electronics Group
Tesla Motors custom floor mats
Interior colors: premium two-tone, rally 2, black/red, black head restraint
Forged Tesla wheels - black
High Power Connector
Mobile connector - MC120 (included)

The adjustable suspension is not yet available as an option, otherwise I might have gotten that.

The other options that I left off were:
1) Carbon Fiber Hardtop, which I might order later.
2) Performance Tires
3) Mobile Connector - MC240
4) Battery replacement
5) Extended warranty

This is an image of what mine will look like. The only difference is that I did rally 2 and I think this is rally 1.

radiant_red_black_and_red_interior_black_headrest.jpg

Last edited:
James, I am somewhat confused by your signature line. Your user title indicates that you get Roadster # 414 and your signature indicates a 2009 Roadster. Has the 2008 model production run been dramatically reduced?

James, I am somewhat confused by your signature line. Your user title indicates that you get Roadster # 414 and your signature indicates a 2009 Roadster. Has the 2008 model production run been dramatically reduced?

The signature line is wrong. I was at one point considering taking a delay for the Sport model, which would have been a 2009.

I recently decided to move forward with a 2008.

Were you talking about the mock up renderings of the Sport concept?:

I know it isn't a stock color, but I would tend to call it red, not orange.

I was referring to Very Orange, not the mock up rendering.

When I was at Menlo Park, I saw a Very Orange Roadster being serviced. I was told that the owner did the wheels black aftermarket right after it was delivered. It looked AMAZING.

The contrast between Very Orange and the Black Tesla wheels was really stunning. It was enough to almost get me to change my color.

I am hoping that the Radiant Red also looks good with the black wheels. I think it will, but I am not sure. I have never seen it in person or in a picture.

Yes, Orange was a surprise. From the web site choices I didn't think it would be a good color, but in person it just works well on the Roadster. (IMHO)

Black & orange sounds ready for Halloween.
halloween_black_cat.jpg

3237229718_ef2a2ae423.jpg

I, too, re-locked in today (#481).

Radiant Red, colored hardtop, windshield, armor, floor mats, electronics, 2-tone interior traditional + headrest black/saddle, black wheels with performance tires. I stared at the RR in back on Tuesday for about 15 minutes visualizing the black wheels - I think they'll look great. I've seen a picture of the RR w/ colored hardtop, and it looks really good, and I can always get the carbon fiber later. Dropped the HPC based on Elon's comments, plus I'm lucky in that I'm able to plug-in at work.

I've been given a delivery estimate of mid-June. That'll make for a great summer!

James, can I ask what base price you're paying for a 2008MY Roadster?

If it's the $125K Tesla has been advertising, I'm curious why you didn't go with the Sport. It seems like a much better value for a little more coin (and a couple more months). Is it particularly important for you to have a first model year car? Either way I'm sure you're happy with your choice. :)

I, too, re-locked in today (#481).

Radiant Red, colored hardtop...
Were you able to find out if your hardtop will be painted at the same time as the rest of the body panels? Will it be delivered to you with the car?
I've been given a delivery estimate of mid-June. That'll make for a great summer!
Certainly sounds like it! :smile:

Last edited:
My base price is still $92k. No, they haven't said anything about the hardtops, but there were a handful of cars at the store that had the hardtops on, so I think they're starting to get there again. I suspect I won't have a problem. If they tell me it will be delayed, I may change my mind and change to the carbon fiber, since if it's not painted at the same time, it might not exactly match.

The black wheels, performance tires, and pre-selecting the paint armor are the only changes I made along with not getting the HPC. It's about an $8k delta. I still think it's a bargain for what the car is.

James, can I ask what base price you're paying for a 2008MY Roadster?

If it's the $125K Tesla has been advertising, I'm curious why you didn't go with the Sport. It seems like a much better value for a little more coin (and a couple more months). Is it particularly important for you to have a first model year car? Either way I'm sure you're happy with your choice. :)

I have been agonizing over this issue for weeks ever since they told me about the Sport model. It really makes sense in my situation to take the delay and get a Sport option. It is a much better value for only a bit more money.

So I contacted Tesla Motors this week and switched to the Sport model. I will likely get in in July instead of May. So a two month delay.

The only other change I made was to dump the HPC. After listening to the Town Hall meeting, it is clear that a new HPC is being designed for the Model S and there will be an adapter for Roadsters to use that. That HPC will likely be cheaper, because of the higher volumes, and lighter. Elon mentioned that he thinks the current HPC is too awkward.

Tesla Sport $128,500
Metallic Paint $1,000
Electronics Group $3,000
Floor Mats $150
Paint Armor $1,495
Premium Seats $1,800
240 V 30 A MC $1,500
Delivery $1,950
Windshield $400
120 V MC included
Black Tesla Wheels included
Upgraded Motor included
Adjustable Suspension included
Performance Tires included

$139,795
No sales tax on electric vehicles in the state of Washington !!!

Just doing my bit to keep Tesla Motors cash flow positive !!!

Last edited:
Congratulations, James. What colors did you pick?

Hmm... interesting. It just occurred to me to ask, what about the options? You'd think that they'd charge tax on the options because they are <ahem> optional. Luxury options at that.

It is such a low volume car I doubt the state legislature even considered the Tesla Roadster when they wrote the law. It covers all cars that get greater than 40 mpg. It is valid from 1/1/09 till 12/31/2010. Electric vehicles also qualify for the sales tax holiday.