Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LoJack installation for Carmeleon insurance - suggest a dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings, community!

I need to install LoJack to fulfil some insurance requirements from Carmeleon:
In aanvulling op de voorwaarden die voor deze verzekering van toepassing zijn geldt voor de Tesla Model 3 met kenteken XXX-XXX dat, indien het voertuig is voorzien van een werkend Tesla fabrieksalarm in combinatie met een peilzender VLU7 van LoJack® of een MI9 peilzender van Moving Intelligence, het voertuig voldoet aan de Categorie die voor het verzekerde voertuig vereist is.

Now, sadly, Carmeleon does not have a partnership with LoJack for some reason (they do partner with Moving Intelligence): LoJack Benelux - aanschaffen
So I have to either go directly to LoJack (with higher costs) or to one of LoJack dealers.

What's your experience with dealers? Going to call for a quote but wanted to check with the wider community as well. What did you do?

LoJack for a Tesla seems like a rip-off for me.

For one, Tesla's are seldom stolen. In the off-chance they are, a LoJack is dependent on GPS localisation, and sending that localisation out on 164,1750Mhz for a LoJack receiver to receive. If no GPS coordinates are available, a LoJack receiver needs to triangulate the location of the stolen vehicle by classic means, meaning 4 antenna's on the roof and driving around in the area of the stolen car. If the stolen car is however locked in a metal garage, a container or the thief has set up a signal jammer, the car's signals don't get out.

Bottom line: if an amateur steals your Tesla, chances are the Tesla app will be sufficient to track your stolen car down. If a pro steals your Tesla, it's gone.

Reactions: djlorenz
I just made an appointment on the lojack website, they called me for confirming the appointment and a tech arrived at my house to install it, 20 minutes and done.
It is a bit expensive but with ANWB I have a much better price, so the cost of the hardware + 3 years subscription is recovered in just a year.

• Informative
Reactions: Wolfique and wooter