Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

London to Manchester without stopping? [SR+]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should add what others have said in that it's probably unwise to rive so long without a rest. In an ICE vehicle I would always stop for a coffee or comfort break on that journey. I actually didn't stop the last 2 times I did it in my Model 3 but I feel that was more a "because I can" than a sensible route planning choice. As others have mentioned there is god supercharger coverage on that journey so I just would plan a stop. Closer to the end than the beginning for a more efficient charge speed too. Also I'm not sure if it was just a misreading, because the distance is similar, but I took the M6 toll last time rather than the M6 (ruling out a Hilton park top up) and my expected arrival energy shot up by 6%. I assume it was just a blip because both roads are similar in length and time.

So many opinions on this thread, yet I don't see from the OP whether he has SR+, LR or P. I'm pretty sure that makes all the difference.

A LR could do it, just, but you'll arrive with nothing and if you are heading to north of the center on Manchester, or leaving from South of the river it's probably going to need you to drive at 60. Given you will pass at least 6 SuperChargers why bother, stop off for 10 mins on the M6 somewhere and it'll be easy.

1627555885217.png

Thread title may help and it's also in the first post.
Fair point.

No chance in a SR+, even if I assume the most beneficial start and stop locations (Watford to Altringham) you would need to keep under 60

1627557017508.png

Making one 7 minute stop on the route will mean you get their 30 mins sooner (including the time for the stop).

1627557133517.png

Fair point.

No chance in a SR+, even if I assume the most beneficial start and stop locations (Watford to Altringham) you would need to keep under 60

View attachment 689465

Making one 7 minute stop on the route will mean you get their 30 mins sooner (including the time for the stop).

View attachment 689466
You can “beat” ABRP though. Both it and the car tell me to stop when I plan it. It’s only when I’m deep into the journey do they recalculate and remove the charge stops

can you add waypoints to your journey yet though as the tesla is always hell bent on going the longest fastest route it can find even if you've done 50 miles more to save 5 minutes. I'd much rather go the shorter (generally more rural) route. ABRP also suggests some shorter routes that it was/is impossible to get the tesla to navigate, you have to pick somewhere half way and then add in the next half when you get there.

Hi

I’m looking to travel from London to Manchester which is exactly 200 miles.

I will be leaving Thursday night maybe 7pm. I don’t have a heavy foot and will be looking at driving 70mph.

If I charge to 100% could I get there without stopping?

I can catch the motorway in ) mins and have a standard model 3.

many tops like use cruise control or autopilot?
Tonight, when you are about to leave, put the postcode into the Nav in the car and select "Exclude superchargers" and see what your car predicts (This also stops the car Pre Conditioning for a SuC). I find the car is the most accurate compared to ABRP etc.

Also, when driving long distance, after about 30mins-1hr and if you are driving at a steady/constant 70mph you may notice that what the car predicted gets better with distance (Unless you decide to floor it!).

Tonight, when you are about to leave, put the postcode into the Nav in the car and select "Exclude superchargers" and see what your car predicts (This also stops the car Pre Conditioning for a SuC). I find the car is the most accurate compared to ABRP etc.

Also, when driving long distance, after about 30mins-1hr and if you are driving at a steady/constant 70mph you may notice that what the car predicted gets better with distance (Unless you decide to floor it!).
Im surprised at this. I have always found ABRP to be more accurate? Do you have the premium version? That takes weather into account. Which I guess allows it to be much more accurate than the "dumb" tesla calculation

Im surprised at this. I have always found ABRP to be more accurate? Do you have the premium version? That takes weather into account. Which I guess allows it to be much more accurate than the "dumb" tesla calculation
No premium. Did a trip from Leicester to Bath a few weeks ago and the car seemed to predict the % very close

Started trip with "arrive with 10%" and when i arrived is was at 13% (plus one dog rushed to vets after hitting me - not mine - bruised but not hurt)

You can “beat” ABRP though. Both it and the car tell me to stop when I plan it. It’s only when I’m deep into the journey do they recalculate and remove the charge stops
You can beat it if you drive slower, e.g. roadworks, stuck behind other drivers. I drive at 73mph according to Autopilot, but I can see from Teslafi my average is generally about 66. You won't easily beat it if you drive faster than it says.

Yes you can get further if you drafted lorries, had a strong tailwind, turned of AC, but in my experience these are marginal gains at best, unlikely to avoid a charge stop, maybe make it a couple on minutes shorter.

So many opinions on this thread, yet I don't see from the OP whether he has SR+, LR or P. I'm pretty sure that makes all the difference.

A LR could do it, just, but you'll arrive with nothing and if you are heading to north of the center on Manchester, or leaving from South of the river it's probably going to need you to drive at 60. Given you will pass at least 6 SuperChargers why bother, stop off for 10 mins on the M6 somewhere and it'll be easy.

View attachment 689459
@GRiLLA, Is that ABRP route based on your LR? I just did the same on my 2020 refresh and I get this result, just curious 😊. Like others have said, it’s actually best just to drive how you want to and let the car figure it out. I did the “trying not to stop” scenario and ended up mixing it with the lorries, would have been quicker and less hassle just to drive “normally” and do a quick charge en route.

93E09BE6-D403-4065-9D3E-CD5499AB045A.png

I've been driving a SR+ for 22 months and that distance is not possible unless you drive at low speeds that are dangerous on a motorway.

I've spoken to a lot of non-EV drivers who insist that they regularly drive such distances without stopping, but it is not a pleasant experience for me, as it means I would have to dehydrate myself to not need the loo - and I'd need to be very alert so as not to sag my concentration, which I find hard without sugars/caffeine/other energy... which makes you need the loo.

Personally, I consider the need to do such a long drive without any charging stops comes from the mindset of never having driven an EV. If you have a Tesla, use the car's in-built nav function to see where you need to stop and how long for. It is superbly accurate. You'll find you only need to stop for as long as it takes to walk to the service station and use the loo.

at 20c 73mph indicated with maybe some roadworks reducing your overall average I think it can be doable. honestly wouldn’t even plan - just go and check the energy graph after an hour to see how you’re going. If it looks like you’ll be too low just route to a charger. Or rather than planning charges, just stop at a services you naturally would for a pee or a coffee and see if you can top up there - they may have superchargers or gridserve/electric highway chargers. If they don’t then you can plan later.

@GRiLLA, Is that ABRP route based on your LR? I just did the same on my 2020 refresh and I get this result, just curious 😊. Like others have said, it’s actually best just to drive how you want to and let the car figure it out. I did the “trying not to stop” scenario and ended up mixing it with the lorries, would have been quicker and less hassle just to drive “normally” and do a quick charge en route.

View attachment 689838
Yes, 2019 LR. You have the fancy app using traffic, showing you will take half an hour longer, so an average of 55mph. Mine is not assuming current traffic and so average 66mph. That to me explains the difference.

My experience.

so I started the trip and was driving max 70mph there were residents works so was I assign ally doing 50mph.

it was very tight and wasn’t worth the risk so I did end up stopping and topping up.

lessons learnt. It’s not worth stressing over it just top up. Also it’s best to top up when the battery is lower as you only need a short stop.

also don’t sit in the car go for a walk and stretch your legs as it charges faster when the car is locked and no one is in it as it doesn’t need to keep the systems operational

As comparison, for people not familiar with the massive difference between motorway and other general mix driving ... I've required to do a 99 mile journey on a few occasions lately that consistently uses about 38% of my SR+ battery ... which comes out as a 100% range equivalent of 260 miles. They were return trips that had about an hour stop in the middle. The trip included country roads, city driving and about 14 miles of dual carriageway (only a brief opportunity to reach 70mph so no higher speed cruising).