Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range AWD Wheel Offset with Wider Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@TrubbishBish If you think the 2021+ M3P has good grip with the OE Pirelli PZ4, wait till you try better summer performance tires. ;) Putting 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport on 18x8.5" wheels on my M3P was a improvement dry and wet over the OE PZ4.

Personally I wasn't quite happy with the car's grip stock, it was okay for a street car but I wanted a bit more, and I definitely got more with the new tires (still same category, they're not track tires). Before I tried this setup I thought I might want wider wheels eventually, but now I feel no need for that at all.

For sure wider wheels could get me even more grip, but maybe try just better tires first, you might find that's enough without the downside of wider wheels. (Now if you're doing track days or especially autox or other timed events...I'm sure you'll want all the wheel and tire width you can easily cram in there. My M3P is strictly a street car for now.)

@TrubbishBish If you think the 2021+ M3P has good grip with the OE Pirelli PZ4, wait till you try better summer performance tires. ;) Putting 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport on 18x8.5" wheels on my M3P was a improvement dry and wet over the OE PZ4.

Personally I wasn't quite happy with the car's grip stock, it was okay for a street car but I wanted a bit more, and I definitely got more with the new tires (still same category, they're not track tires). Before I tried this setup I thought I might want wider wheels eventually, but now I feel no need for that at all.

For sure wider wheels could get me even more grip, but maybe try just better tires first, you might find that's enough without the downside of wider wheels. (Now if you're doing track days or especially autox or other timed events...I'm sure you'll want all the wheel and tire width you can easily cram in there. My M3P is strictly a street car for now.)
I'm fully-aware of the differences between tire types, brands, sizes... Working in automotive R&D, I've driven on pretty much every tire there is. That being said, I will only buy Michelins for summers and Nokians for winters.

My goal is to downsize to 18"s while complying with a Tesla OEM tire diameter. That leaves:

215/50-18 (Same diameter as OE 20")
235/45-18 (OE 18")
265/40-18 (Same diameter as OE 18")

Any other 18" tire sizes will give you an incorrect speedometer and odometer.

I'm fully-aware of the differences between tire types, brands, sizes... Working in automotive R&D, I've driven on pretty much every tire there is. That being said, I will only buy Michelins for summers and Nokians for winters.
Those are always good bets in those respective categories! 👍 FWIW I was going to try the PS4S first based on all the recommendations here, but when my wheels arrived (earlier than expected) the PS4S were on backorder everywhere with uncertain ETA in the size I wanted. The Potenza Sports are so good I'm not sure I'll even bother with the PS4S when the time comes to replace, but I might still, for comparison's sake. Last Michelin summer tire I used was the PS2 and it was an excellent street tire for its day, better than its contemporary Bridgestone (I used both on the same car)...but this new 300TW Bstone is worlds better than the older one.

(Though back then Bstone had an ace up their sleeve with the RE-11...but that was a different category and use. I was doing occasional track days in the car I ran those on.)

My goal is to downsize to 18"s while complying with a Tesla OEM tire diameter. That leaves:

215/50-18 (Same diameter as OE 20")
235/45-18 (OE 18")
265/40-18 (Same diameter as OE 18")

Any other 18" tire sizes will give you an incorrect speedometer and odometer.
Officially 245/45R18 and 235/45R18 are both 0.2" diameter difference vs M3P stock 235/35R20, it's just a matter of 0.2" larger vs 0.2" smaller. Also Tesla's own Track Package wheels come with 245/35R20 which is another 0.1" larger diameter than 245/45R18. I believe the Track Package setup is an option in the Model 3's wheel configurator.

Personally when I considered all aspects of this car, I felt like the slight extra tire width, extra tire diameter, and resulting very slightly taller gearing all seemed like good things. Your preferences may vary of course. :) Not saying there's anything wrong with 235...just that there's really no reason to avoid 245 on this car either.

I'll also mention our other Tesla came with 245mm on 8.5" wide wheels from the factory, and so did my last ICE car. Very normal tire width for 8.5" wide wheels.

... It's also the width that Tesla chose after millions or billions of dollars worth of R&D testing (excluding the 245s on the Zero-G track wheels which does look so much better than the 235s stretched on a 9" wide wheel).
Tesla 100% chose the option that let them advertise the most range. Many of us would make a different selection for better performance given the choice, and instead have done so in the aftermarket.