Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone knows what changes were made to the last few iterations of the "long range" to extend it's rated range from 373, to 402, and now to 405 miles?
I know (or I'm pretty sure anyway) that the 373mi range example was the debut of the Raven drive train with the model 3's PMSR motor up front.
There even seems to be a 375 mi range version, that has the same drive unit and battery option codes as the newest 405mi cars.

My 2020 Long Range has always had a range of 403 miles, on 19" tires. 21" tires reduces range to 37? miles. Tesla constantly improves things and can sometime eek out a few miles in the EPA testing. It has basically always been the same since the Long Range came out. Tesla was displaying the 21" tire Long Range by default for a few months, a few months ago.

Reactions: cmarshack
The original Ravens were 373 with 19" wheels, if I'm not mistaken. The change to 402/3/5 was a big bump.... 8%

There are at least 3 different battery packs configured in 2019/20/21/22 LR model S cars, by the options codes. Maybe some of them are the same and only the codes changed. Also some of the drive unit codes changed. Just wondering if anyone knew some of the technical improvements made that eeked out each of these range improvements.

What's your real world driving range like on that Raven?

My range is currently about 380, or about a 5% loss over 2+ years -- most of which was in the first year. I remember a winter trip with temps under 35, and I was driving 75 - 80. I had about 30 - 40% range loss that trip. Superchargers are wonderful, and readily available, thank goodness.

Thanks for that link.

I laughed at the last paragraph where they say, that model S has also just received a $5000 price reduction. Ah the good old days, when they were adding features as standard, while also reducing the price. Wish I had just jumped on one of those Ravens for $69,420 when Elon had to have a funny price for his flagship car to beat Lucid's price target. Just 2 years ago. Can't buy that exact car used for that little now.

'H' battery pack was the difference. Was like 104kw. Can see tag by looking at battery from passenger wheel well. They came out in 9-2020 so some late 2020 S/X had them and all model year 2021 LR+ before the late Dec 2020 shutdown. Longest range ever in a MX as the 'refresh' pack is smaller.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
In May, 2020, Long Range was like 399 miles range, and Musk said it was because the testers left the door open, which kept all the interior stuff on. In June the range was raised to 403 on "G" battery pack after a retest allegedly without Tesla making any modifications. This is when I bought my car, as a 400+ mile range was my low number for me not having range anxiety. My car was delivered late June, and has the 403 mile range.

Waybackmachine, on Tesla.com, these were the advertised distances and Tesla always used the smallest tire, highest range back then so this should be on 19s:
April 27, 2020, Model S EPA was 391 (G battery)
June 12, 2020, Model S EPA was 391 (G battery)
Aug 21, 2020 Model S EPA was 391 (G battery)

By Oct 15 2020, Model S EPA was 402. (H battery)

(My 2020 MX with same battery as S, was made 9-2020 and had a 'H' battery. I believe the switch from G to H was in Sept of that year. The 2020 MX went from 351 to 371 miles rated with the change from G to H battery.)

That S range stuck for the 2021 models originally made from Nov to Dec in 2020 then the shutdown for the 'refresh' occurred and there weren't any more S until June of 2021. That model has a newer battery and a slightly higher EPA of 405

Waybackmachine, on Tesla.com, these were the advertised distances and Tesla always used the smallest tire, highest range back then so this should be on 19s:
April 27, 2020, Model S EPA was 391 (G battery)
June 12, 2020, Model S EPA was 391 (G battery)
Aug 21, 2020 Model S EPA was 391 (G battery)

By Oct 15 2020, Model S EPA was 402. (H battery)

(My 2020 MX with same battery as S, was made 9-2020 and had a 'H' battery. I believe the switch from G to H was in Sept of that year. The 2020 MX went from 351 to 371 miles rated with the change from G to H battery.)

That S range stuck for the 2021 models originally made from Nov to Dec in 2020 then the shutdown for the 'refresh' occurred and there weren't any more S until June of 2021. That model has a newer battery and a slightly higher EPA of 405
Your information is incorrect. The EPA rated the Long Range at 402 in June, 2020. Mine has that range built in June with an G battery. From June 16, 2020 on an G battery:

And, from Tesla itself on June 16, 2020: "Starting today, all North American Model S Long Range Plus vehicles have an official EPA-rated range of 402 miles...." and "These changes went into production earlier this year when we first started manufacturing Model S Long Range Plus at our factory in Fremont, California. All Model S Long Range Plus vehicles will receive the new 402-mile rating."

Where are these battery types (G, H, etc) documented? All I can find is descriptions in the option codes for batteries in the used LR model S stock using EVCPO.... Seems like Tesla currently has only 3 range ratings for their used and new LR Models S: 373, 402, and 405 miles. (EDIT: it appears there's also a 375 mi range Raven as well).

BTX6
100 kWh

BTX9
100 kWh Battery Pack with Weight Reduction
Model S 2020/05

BTXA
18650J2 Battery Cell
Model S/X 2020

BTXB
99kWh 18650 Plaid E5/E6 VIN battery
Model S/X 2021 LR/Plaid

Last edited:
Look in the back of the passenger front side tire well. You will see this "Tesla" sticker. The last character is the Battery. Mine is a "G".
1666030791689.jpeg

I don't think the revision code of the battery is that significant, but it would be nice to be able to list the changes from one revision to the next. For instance, my G battery car can accept up to 250KW charge from a supercharger. Just a few months earlier, and in the same model year, the MS Long Range could not accept that charge. Also, my car accepts CCS adapters. Very early 2020 model cars with G battery do not support CCS.

I have read that if you need a new battery, it must be the same revision or greater of your old battery.

Reactions: seenhear
Well my timing must be off as Derby Dave has shown proof they were touting the S as over 400 mile range in June. In MX land, the jump from 351 to 371 occured in Sept 2020 and was also at the same time the battery went from a G to an H. I looked hard for a used H and found one, was 9-2020 man date and 371 miles max range (decreased to 365 due to degradation at 6 months old when I bought it.)

Well my timing must be off as Derby Dave has shown proof they were touting the S as over 400 mile range in June. In MX land, the jump from 351 to 371 occured in Sept 2020 and was also at the same time the battery went from a G to an H. I looked hard for a used H and found one, was 9-2020 man date and 371 miles max range (decreased to 365 due to degradation at 6 months old when I bought it.)
That's still a great range for an X! Only 6 miles off spec, not too bad.