Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long range vs long range +

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having a “discussion” with my salesperson over our 1/2020 build Model S

He claims that our car cannot be upgraded to the long range + due to hardware differences. But when we ordered the car it was mentioned that the update was pending.

So my main question is what’s different? And the second question would be did Elon make a mistake when he said on Feb15 that all recent Models S would get the update?
We ordered our car the first week of March 2020 and it was delivered a few days later.

What tag do you have on the battery?
It needs to be an "F" model,
also there is the issue of having paid $4,999.00 for the long range plus

Attachments

• 100kWh battery.png
    100kWh battery.png
    244.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
that's bullshit.....what does your paperwork say......I bought in 0ctober, long range and paid 4999......my paperwork still says Long Range but I got the silent upgrade to 391 miles and my dash now says Long Range Plus.......since I made deal in Oct, I also have the 8 year unlimited mileage on the battery......

edit: if you bought in March 2020, if I am not mistaken, you paid around 79999 and that is the LR+......

Last edited:
Just to add to the confusion I need to mention that I am in Canada and I would gladly have paid $79,000.00!

When we first went to look at the car at the Tesla store the sales rep emailed me the same day a quote of $110.380.00 plus taxes but including shipping and documentation fees.

2020 Model S, all Black interior, Red triple coat paint, Premium goodies and Silver wheels. FSD was an additional $9200.00.

The wife and I checked our finances and emptied out the piggy bank :) and decided to make the deal so we returned to the Tesla store the next day and put the required $2500.00 deposit down.

Later that day we received an email from Tesla confirming our purchase but the price was a little different with a new total of $110.270.00.

But there was a mysterious credit (price adjustment) of $2,010.00 to arrive at this new price. When I asked what that was about I was told it was due to the Canadian Dollar being stronger.

BTW Today's price for the same car is $116,290.00 plus taxes etc.and is listed as a Long Range Plus.

My best guess at this point is that the "Price adjustment" was due to the fact that the car has the "E" series battery but even that doesn't make a whole lot of sense as at least on the USA side of the border Long Range Plus seems to be $5,000.00 more.

What makes this even more confusing is I have seen several people posting on the forum with November and December deliveries getting the Long Range Plus upgrade.

Attention Elon Musk! Please clarify your Feb 15th tweet about all S/X cars made in recent months will get the update for free via a software update.

Just to add to the confusion I need to mention that I am in Canada and I would gladly have paid $79,000.00!

When we first went to look at the car at the Tesla store the sales rep emailed me the same day a quote of $110.380.00 plus taxes but including shipping and documentation fees.

2020 Model S, all Black interior, Red triple coat paint, Premium goodies and Silver wheels. FSD was an additional $9200.00.

The wife and I checked our finances and emptied out the piggy bank :) and decided to make the deal so we returned to the Tesla store the next day and put the required $2500.00 deposit down.

Later that day we received an email from Tesla confirming our purchase but the price was a little different with a new total of $110.270.00.

But there was a mysterious credit (price adjustment) of $2,010.00 to arrive at this new price. When I asked what that was about I was told it was due to the Canadian Dollar being stronger.

BTW Today's price for the same car is $116,290.00 plus taxes etc.and is listed as a Long Range Plus.

My best guess at this point is that the "Price adjustment" was due to the fact that the car has the "E" series battery but even that doesn't make a whole lot of sense as at least on the USA side of the border Long Range Plus seems to be $5,000.00 more.

What makes this even more confusing is I have seen several people posting on the forum with November and December deliveries getting the Long Range Plus upgrade.

Attention Elon Musk! Please clarify your Feb 15th tweet about all S/X cars made in recent months will get the update for free via a software update.
Sounds like a switch is what they did....if you have an “E” battery you will be unable to get “plus” upgrade......you should check your order data sheet and see if it say “Long Range Plus” or just "Long Range”.......As I mentioned earlier, when I ordered mine said “Long Range” and I paid an addition $4999...Got ”F" battery and then got secret upgrade to 391 miles and car dash shows “Long Range Plus”....I think they played you

Reactions: BozieBeMe2
Sure does look like someone wanted to unload a not updatable car.

Two day delivery versus an at least two week delivery should have tipped me off.

The extra range is not really the issue as I can come very close to that 600 km mark just charging to 90% and taking it easy on the go pedal. Looking forward to being able to justify a 100% charge to see what I can really do.

However, what will I miss out on in the future due to the “older” technology?

Unfortunately this is probably another case of how can you tell if a salesman is lying?

Sure does look like someone wanted to unload a not updatable car.

Two day delivery versus an at least two week delivery should have tipped me off.

The extra range is not really the issue as I can come very close to that 600 km mark just charging to 90% and taking it easy on the go pedal. Looking forward to being able to justify a 100% charge to see what I can really do.

However, what will I miss out on in the future due to the “older” technology?

Unfortunately this is probably another case of how can you tell if a salesman is lying?
again.....what did your paperwork say when you put down deposit

Hi Ldenphones,

Please do as suggested above and take a picture of the label on your battery...
It's all speculation until you show the battery label.

It is fairly "easy" to get: Turn your steering wheel to the far left lock.
The battery label should be visible through the opening behind your front
right wheel.

Shawn

Reactions: BozieBeMe2
In checking with a non salesperson at the local Tesla store it seems that at the time that I ordered the car ( March 4, 2020 ) there was no Canadian option to order the Long Range Plus BUT it was relatively common knowledge that the update was pending. And it was supposed to be a free update.

So far, the only info I have been able to get about what is different is:

F series battery. Didn’t get that
Wireless phone charging. Got that
Active suspension Got that
So far unable to confirm the basic wheel but mine are Silver Slip. ( I like em )

My sales agreement says Long Range.

So maybe this is a cobbled together in Fremont for Canada thing. :) or maybe the Canadian government doesn’t agree with Elon.

Still love the car!

My guess is when you put down the deposit, Tesla located an inventory car that already had the options you wanted (color, options, etc...) and delivered it to you hence the two-day delivery.

To be honest, aside from the small range bump and tempest wheels (which are polarizing in terms of their looks) I don't think you are missing much.

In checking with a non salesperson at the local Tesla store it seems that at the time that I ordered the car ( March 4, 2020 ) there was no Canadian option to order the Long Range Plus BUT it was relatively common knowledge that the update was pending. And it was supposed to be a free update.

So far, the only info I have been able to get about what is different is:

F series battery. Didn’t get that
Wireless phone charging. Got that
Active suspension Got that
So far unable to confirm the basic wheel but mine are Silver Slip. ( I like em )

My sales agreement says Long Range.

So maybe this is a cobbled together in Fremont for Canada thing. :) or maybe the Canadian government doesn’t agree with Elon.

Still love the car!
what is the manufacturing date of your car???.......if it was after 1 Jan you should have the "F" battery....