Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
On day three, Angel (I call my new Model X 'Angel'), I got in and noticed she seemed to be asleep. The main screen was off and (IIRC) the dash was all but off. I put my foot on the brake and got a message about having to restart--please wait. Thankfully, my wife was not with me and I didn't need to go anywhere. (Incidentally, she's furious that I bought the car over her objections). And I waited. And I waited. I suffer from acute impatience. After about 90 seconds (or so), the dash came to life, but the main screen did not. I called Tesla and the tech told me to do a reboot. I asked if this involved a rope and a sharp tug. He laughed and told me how--push and hold both scroll wheels at once--and wait (not thrilled with this approach due to the aforementioned affliction). Okay--everything came back.

Question: Is this common? Angel was not plugged into the charger and the garage got cold (about 28 f I suspect). Is there a way to prevent this from ending my marriage? Do I need to make it a practice and try to start the car beforehand?

On day three, Angel (I call my new Model X 'Angel'), I got in and noticed she seemed to be asleep. The main screen was off and (IIRC) the dash was all but off. I put my foot on the brake and got a message about having to restart--please wait. Thankfully, my wife was not with me and I didn't need to go anywhere. (Incidentally, she's furious that I bought the car over her objections). And I waited. And I waited. I suffer from acute impatience. After about 90 seconds (or so), the dash came to life, but the main screen did not. I called Tesla and the tech told me to do a reboot. I asked if this involved a rope and a sharp tug. He laughed and told me how--push and hold both scroll wheels at once--and wait (not thrilled with this approach due to the aforementioned affliction). Okay--everything came back.

Question: Is this common? Angel was not plugged into the charger and the garage got cold (about 28 f I suspect). Is there a way to prevent this from ending my marriage? Do I need to make it a practice and try to start the car beforehand?

As a long-time computer engineer, I'm concerned that this two-ton computer carrying my family might decide to need a reboot in a remote location or on the road. I saw nothing in the responses about how Tesla is addressing this issue. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

As a long-time computer engineer, I'm concerned that this two-ton computer carrying my family might decide to need a reboot in a remote location or on the road. I saw nothing in the responses about how Tesla is addressing this issue. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.
How long do you leave your PC running without shutting down and restarting? Your Tesla is a PC on wheels.

I've found over the past two years that I have to force a reboot of my Model X on average every six weeks, sometimes while driving (the car still runs). Even my iPad needs rebooting more often than that.;)

How long do you leave your PC running without shutting down and restarting? Your Tesla is a PC on wheels.

I've found over the past two years that I have to force a reboot of my Model X on average every six weeks, sometimes while driving (the car still runs). Even my iPad needs rebooting more often than that.;)

My systems (I have about four) run 7/24/365. Sure, they have to be rebooted from time-to-time to post updates but rarely do they lock up like this...

Luckily, the systems are designed not to affect your ability to continue driving. I've had my car for > 6 months now and I had to reboot maybe 3 or 4 times so far. The first one occurred on our "virgin" drive to shopping mall in another town. The navigation sound would be stuck in the loop. Yes, it was freaky and unexpected, but a quick "salute on two fingers" using the scroll buttons fixed it. Nothing out of ordinary I'd say, given how moody computers can be :)

Tip: even though the system reboots after updates, it's always best to do a reboot after every update.
I've seen first hand and read anecdotal comments about the system seeming ok right after an update and then a day or day after something minor, but weird happens and the fix is always a reboot.
Even though it's running (I assume) on a customized 'Linux' kernel, it still needs a fresh start once an a while to reinitialize things.
By the way, even if this happens while driving, an I'm not saying it does, the car still runs just fine, but it's still wise to pull over and do the reboot to avoid yet another distraction.