Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long road trip for college dropoff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should have reported this a few months ago but I did a 500 mile each way road trip to drop off my daughter at college (she transferred schools) back in early January...

This was the first road trip in the Y and I was lucky enough to sneak in under the wire and be a beneficiary of the 1000 mile referral program. As such, other than plugging into a supercharger to verify that the connection worked, it was my first time using supercharges...

Now, the trip... Moving our child out of the previous school, we used our Ford Excursion and put quite a bit of stuff in there. I really wanted to use the Y rather than the Excursion to get to the new school, but I was a bit worried that not everything would fit. So, I insisted that mom and the daughter put everything onto the dining room table the night before so I could load up the car and switch to the Excursion if necessary...

As they loaded up the dining room table, I was eyeing everything and thinking... Hmm, this might fit... I started loading up the car by trying to use the frunk, the main sub trunk, the secondary sub trunk and the side cubbies... I was SHOCKED by how much actually fits in those spaces. At some point, as my wife was bringing stuff to the garage, she saw my laughing out loud. She asked, "what's so funny?" By this point about half of the stuff was in the car, and I told her to take a look. She thought I was laughing because I thought it might have been comical that we could have ever got it to fit in the Y. She realized it was the exact opposite when I showed her the open trunk and the fact that none of the actual trunk space was used yet. "Where is everything?" she asked. I then showed her how much extra space those secret compartments provided and how it was going to be easy to fit everything in the car.

The next day, we started the 500 mile trip...

From previous road trips, I know that even if the car could do the 500 miles in one go (which the Excursion can easily do), my passengers cannot. I knew that we'd be stopping several times regardless. So, the fact that we could drive 3-4 hours and then make a stop was very much welcome by DW and DD. Generally between the bathroom break, getting a quick snack and coffee, we were generally ready at about the same time that the car said it was ready to drive again. On the way back we found that we were sometimes too slow and we needed to finish our meal a bit quickly or else we'd be charged idle fees. My wife was VERY pleasantly surprised about how quick and easy the charging was.

One other pleasant surprise was that DD's school had free level 2 charging stations. So, as DW helped set up DD's room, I plugged in the car and explored the campus. It was nice to get a about 40% charge free during the weekend.

Also, coming back, we had some bad rain and I was very happy to use the autopilot feature. It made dealing with the long drive much less stressful than if I had to steer manually. I will say that I had a few "phantom braking" issues that I later learned were user error. The manually mentions that it doesn't like passing on the right and will slow to the speed of the car on the left.

I'm not sure I'd consider 500 miles to be a long road trip, but your experience sounds pretty great! It's good to see people enjoying their Teslas and talking about it on the internet. There's a lot of negativity about failures and bad service. There are a lot of success stories too, but the ratio being portrayed online I don't think is realistic to what's happening in the real world.

My wife and I have made several long trips in our Model Y, with it loaded quite heavily. The extra storage is super helpful. Probably the longest 'full load' trip we've done was northeast MD to central AR, about 1200 miles one way. The car was so full we could not see out the back. Luggage, housewares, boat parts, groceries ... and somehow I packed it such that nothing rattled or vibrated. The Supercharging stops are a great rest break. I packed a nerf football and some window cleaning supplies in the frunk. It helps to pass the time at charging stops in the midwest where the car needs longer charging sessions and you're just not hungry.

I should have reported this a few months ago but I did a 500 mile each way road trip to drop off my daughter at college (she transferred schools) back in early January...

This was the first road trip in the Y and I was lucky enough to sneak in under the wire and be a beneficiary of the 1000 mile referral program. As such, other than plugging into a supercharger to verify that the connection worked, it was my first time using supercharges...

Now, the trip... Moving our child out of the previous school, we used our Ford Excursion and put quite a bit of stuff in there. I really wanted to use the Y rather than the Excursion to get to the new school, but I was a bit worried that not everything would fit. So, I insisted that mom and the daughter put everything onto the dining room table the night before so I could load up the car and switch to the Excursion if necessary...

As they loaded up the dining room table, I was eyeing everything and thinking... Hmm, this might fit... I started loading up the car by trying to use the frunk, the main sub trunk, the secondary sub trunk and the side cubbies... I was SHOCKED by how much actually fits in those spaces. At some point, as my wife was bringing stuff to the garage, she saw my laughing out loud. She asked, "what's so funny?" By this point about half of the stuff was in the car, and I told her to take a look. She thought I was laughing because I thought it might have been comical that we could have ever got it to fit in the Y. She realized it was the exact opposite when I showed her the open trunk and the fact that none of the actual trunk space was used yet. "Where is everything?" she asked. I then showed her how much extra space those secret compartments provided and how it was going to be easy to fit everything in the car.

The next day, we started the 500 mile trip...

From previous road trips, I know that even if the car could do the 500 miles in one go (which the Excursion can easily do), my passengers cannot. I knew that we'd be stopping several times regardless. So, the fact that we could drive 3-4 hours and then make a stop was very much welcome by DW and DD. Generally between the bathroom break, getting a quick snack and coffee, we were generally ready at about the same time that the car said it was ready to drive again. On the way back we found that we were sometimes too slow and we needed to finish our meal a bit quickly or else we'd be charged idle fees. My wife was VERY pleasantly surprised about how quick and easy the charging was.

One other pleasant surprise was that DD's school had free level 2 charging stations. So, as DW helped set up DD's room, I plugged in the car and explored the campus. It was nice to get a about 40% charge free during the weekend.

Also, coming back, we had some bad rain and I was very happy to use the autopilot feature. It made dealing with the long drive much less stressful than if I had to steer manually. I will say that I had a few "phantom braking" issues that I later learned were user error. The manually mentions that it doesn't like passing on the right and will slow to the speed of the car on the left.
986 racer
Thank you for posting your road trip experience.
Once I receive my M Y I am looking forward to a round trip from NJ to Florida.
I will do a write up on that 1230 mile trip each way hopefully later this year.