Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Road trip with Y or ICE????

12+ Hour Road trip with 4 people. Which vehicle to take?

• Tesla Model Y

Votes: 91 82.7%
  • Audi Q7

Votes: 19 17.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A recent YouTube video by Bjorn out of Oslo Norway showed how spot on ABRP was, I purchased the Premium subscription as it now adds the weather and wind conditions on your trip, plus you can run it on your browser screen in the Tesla. I also downloaded this “Windy” app, it shows the wind conditions on your trip, this helps you rethink your distance run whether you are taking head winds or tail winds.

Take the Tesla, you will need to stop anyways to stretch your legs and use the restroom.

1.4 year with the Model 3 and 4 months with the model Y now, I’ve only saw 4 Superchargers down in Baker Ca. They have a total of 40 Superchargers and it was 106 degrees out. Just moved over to the other row of chargers and I was good to go.

windy app.

2AF1D9AD-02F1-49E8-A36D-BABE1CEED969.png

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
If I'm voting for myself, take the Tesla. Simple as that. As others have noted, the AP will be wonderful and you will arrive rested. My family, however, gets impatient and would for sure vote for the ICE car. I keep telling my wife that with all the diet Dr. Pepper she drinks on road trips we have to stop every two hours to pee anyways so we might as well be stopping to charge but she doesn't believe me :rolleyes:. I'm trading in my 2016 X 90D for a Y PUP so hopefully the much faster charging will help me convince her.

recommendation for a hotspot device

I think a small travel wifi router should be sufficient instead of paying monthly for a hotspot device. I currently have this in my Y-

https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNET-GL-M...8&sr=1-1-f7123c3d-6c2e-4dbe-9d7a-6185fb77bc58

I hook my phone's hotspot to it so it'll broadcast a stronger signal to all my devices and I can work when I travel. You can also use it to extend wifi networks such as hotel wifis/xfinitywifi/public wifi and it masks and secure your devices' IP with VPN capability. It'll bypass the device limit for certain hotels. Since the Y doesn't pull up the login portals for public wifis or xifinitywifi, you can login your phone into portal first, change the router's mac address to match your phone's mac address, extend the network with the router, and then connect the Y to the router wifi. Just in case there are any new updates that pop up and you want to install them while you're traveling and you don't want to leave your phone in the car to hot spot or use up your phone data cap.

Pretty versatile for $20.

Hey all,

Trying to decide ..

I have a 12 plus hour drive from south florida to North Carolina with the family (4 people total).

Trying to decide on Y or use our ICE Q7.....

It’s a performance Y so a little rougher ride... i think we should have enough room for everyone and stuff between trunk and drunk...

My concern is the ride roughness and older kids 16 & 19 sitting in the rear seats for such a long trip...

Pros are should be a cool ride... Autopilot/FSD and the experience....
We have a charge outlet at the house in NC so no problem keeping it charged there...

Thoughts???

I would take the Y and try to charge generally from 10% to 50%. Supercharging is faster at the lower charge states. You'll need to charge more frequently but it will give you more opportunities to take breaks, which might help. The Tesla Model Y should support the V3 250 kW Supercharging too (continuing to be rolled out, so not all sites have it yet).

Hi, I was looking at your trip,and in particular the 157 miles between Santee and Greenville, SC.

I noticed that about halfway there is a Tesla Supercharger in Columbia, SC.

There is a little detour but Santee to Columbia is 74 miles and Columbia to Greenville is 102 miles.

The total trip Santee - Columbia - Greenville would be 176 miles instead of 157 miles, so an extra 21 miles.

I checked the elevation using Google map, and I think I would prefer making an additional stop, especially if it would be windy that day.
Taking another look, I noticed that you will make a little detour to use the Santee SuperCharger.

I wonder if it would not be preferable to skip then the Santee Supercharger and go directly from Hardeeville to Columbia and then Greenville?

_94 miles - Hardeeville to Santee
155 miles - Santee to Greenville
249 miles

154 miles - Hardeeville to Columbia
103 miles - Columbia to Greenville
257 miles
So you will get less speed and range anxiety on the last leg just before reaching Greenville.

Last edited:
I am planning in general to supercharge as needed before my destination. I don’t want to burden my hosts with needing to connect. So I generally would just stop for a charge up and hit the same one on the return leg. Doesn’t take more than 10 minutes.

My point or suggestion would be to hit a supercharger and “overcharge” for some buffer. From what I’ve seen on YouTube it seems like people like to overcharge by 10% for some room in case of bad efficiency and you can always increase your speed as you approach the supercharger.

Example, need to charge to 60% to make it to Santee, charge to 70%.

Taking another look, I noticed that you will make a little detour to use the Santee SuperCharger.

I wonder if it would not be preferable to skip then the Santee Supercharger and go directly from Hardeeville to Columbia and then Greenville?

_94 miles - Hardeeville to Santee
249 miles

257 miles
So you will get less speed and range anxiety on the last leg just before reaching Greenville.
Yep, that's what I would do. Or drive through ATL.

Something I don’t see mentioned is using the Energy graph in the car. For me, that in combination with the in-car nav is all I’ve ever needed. I’ve even comfortably rolled into charging at 1% with no sweat. The graph gives the very best reading on conditions, state of the car etc and tells you your remaining range. Nothing trying to “predict” your range like ABRP can be as accurate.

As a longtime owner with a Raven S, my 2 cents is that you don’t want your first road trip to be long with a full house. It probably would go just fine, but if it went sideways, everyone would blame the car. You as a driver need to change your thinking about trip driving. For example, it has been established for years that the most efficient speed is 70-75 mph. This will give you the best combination of driving/ charging times. Getting in a train of cars or shadowing a truck can drastically cut your watt hours. Just don’t overdo it. I drive south Palm Bay to Richmond, a similar trip on 95 with two stops to charge. Both are Well less than an hour. I have about 50 miles more range than your Y, so 3 stops would be about right. Try 1.1 multiplayer and 15% remaining in your settings in ABRP. Good luck either way!

Where did you get this idea?

It certainly isn’t supported by science. For a trip long enough that the initial charge isn’t relevant, the theoretical shortest trip is when the charge rate matches the discharge rate - and the session average charge rate should be well over 200 rated miles per hour.

On the other side, the car hits peak efficiency at about 20 mph, and it is all downhill from there with no real joggles in the curve.

For supercharger supported long trips, going faster will always reduce total trip time, and going slower will decrease energy use for any reasonable speed. There’s no inherent sweet spot that’s within the legal and safe limits.

156 miles - Hardeeville to Santee
301 miles

257 miles​

In this case, you would save 56 miles, and for the last leg toward Greenville you will have less speed and range constraint.

I like that option hardeeville to Columbia to Greenville...

We are going to take both cars... we decided we will have 2 dogs in crates and 2 kids plus stuff for 10 days.... so 2 cars it is.

I think this is the final route I’m going to shoot for ...see how the Tesla nav will handle it in comparison....

I tweaked it a little with arriving at 15% power... i think that overall is enough reserve...i think and plug in at the house... with 15% at target it is not putting a speed limit on me for the last leg :)
C0FF54BC-2D0B-434C-9AF1-C7BEBE2A5726.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Where did you get this idea?

It certainly isn’t supported by science. For a trip long enough that the initial charge isn’t relevant, the theoretical shortest trip is when the charge rate matches the discharge rate - and the session average charge rate should be well over 200 rated miles per hour.

On the other side, the car hits peak efficiency at about 20 mph, and it is all downhill from there with no real joggles in the curve.

For supercharger supported long trips, going faster will always reduce total trip time, and going slower will decrease energy use for any reasonable speed. There’s no inherent sweet spot that’s within the legal and safe limits.
Try plugging different options into a route planner. See what you get. People have been wrestling with this problem for years. Hint the faster you go the mote energy you use and it rises exponentially. The deeper you have to charge, the slower charging gets. The initial charge is always relevant.

Try plugging different options into a route planner. See what you get. People have been wrestling with this problem for years. Hint the faster you go the mote energy you use and it rises exponentially. The deeper you have to charge, the slower charging gets. The initial charge is always relevant.

All your statements are true. But there's no magic to 75 mph - you'll still get a shorter overall trip going 80 unless the SC spacing gets too tight and pushes you up the taper too far - may happen situationally, but not universally or even routinely.

I think a small travel wifi router should be sufficient instead of paying monthly for a hotspot device. I currently have this in my Y-

https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNET-GL-MT300N-V2-Repeater-300Mbps-Performance/dp/B073TSK26W/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-drs1_0

I hook my phone's hotspot to it so it'll broadcast a stronger signal to all my devices and I can work when I travel.
You can also use it to extend wifi networks such as hotel wifis/xfinitywifi/public wifi
and it masks and secure your devices' IP with VPN capability. It'll bypass the device limit for certain hotels.
Since the Y doesn't pull up the login portals for public wifis or xifinitywifi, you can login your phone into portal first,
change the router's mac address to match your phone's mac address, extend the network with the router,
and then connect the Y to the router wifi.
Just in case there are any new updates that pop up and you want to install them while you're traveling
and you don't want to leave your phone in the car to hot spot or use up your phone data cap.
Pretty versatile for $20.
@jwuwu thank you for the tip. I was not aware of this type of device.

I'am surprised that my phone (Samsung Note 8) cannot provide such Hotspot capability when connected to WiFi?

This device (GL-MT300N) could be very handy in particular for getting my WebCam (Blackvue DR900S)
connected to the cloud using a local business WiFi Hotspot when park in the street.

Otherwise I will certainly use its VPN capability for secure surfing when using a public WiFi hotspot.

I wonder where did you install it inside your Model Y?
- Does it need to be located on top of the dashboard for getting a good reception, as I don't see any antenna plug?
(I'm just concern that it might be very noticeable because of its canary color : )
- Do you connect it to one of the car USB plug, and keep Sentry on in this case or do you use an USB Power Bank?

@jwuwu thank you for the tip. I was not aware of this type of device.

I'am surprised that my phone (Samsung Note 8) cannot provide such Hotspot capability when connected to WiFi?

This device (GL-MT300N) could be very handy in particular for getting my WebCam (Blackvue DR900S)
connected to the cloud using a local business WiFi Hotspot when park in the street.

Otherwise I will certainly use its VPN capability for secure surfing when using a public WiFi hotspot.

I wonder where did you install it inside your Model Y?
- Does it need to be located on top of the dashboard for getting a good reception, as I don't see any antenna plug?
(I'm just concern that it might be very noticeable because of its canary color : )
- Do you connect it to one of the car USB plug, and keep Sentry on in this case or do you use an USB Power Bank?

Oh interesting. I thought the Samsung S7 & 8 devices have wifi sharing. I guess they took it out.

No, it doesn't need to be on the dash board. I could actually get good reception 25 feet away from the car and I store this with the sentry drive in the console. Sometimes I would drive to a local park nearby and do work from a bench connected to this device which extends from a xfinity wifi connection.

I use this USB splitter in my Y, works great-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z2KQ719/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have my sentry (Samsung T5) plugged into the "data" port and this travel router plugged into the "charger" port. The GL travel router comes with the usb port too so you can charge things with it, not sure about the charge rate. I only tried charging my apple watch and it was fine.

This is a good article on how to set it up with xfinity wifi with the device-

Setting Up Xfinity Wi-Fi Connection with GL.iNet Slate (GL-AR750S-Ext) Travel Router

Hey all,

Trying to decide ..

I have a 12 plus hour drive from south florida to North Carolina with the family (4 people total).

Trying to decide on Y or use our ICE Q7.....

It’s a performance Y so a little rougher ride... i think we should have enough room for everyone and stuff between trunk and drunk...

My concern is the ride roughness and older kids 16 & 19 sitting in the rear seats for such a long trip...

Pros are should be a cool ride... Autopilot/FSD and the experience....
We have a charge outlet at the house in NC so no problem keeping it charged there...

Thoughts???
I just drove my Model 3 5000 miles round trip from Orange County Ca to SE Ohio. It was a great road trip. I think sitting in the back seat of any car for a long road trip would be uncomfortable. The charging stops are ideal for that. Get to stretch out. I averaged around 30 minutes a stop. Take the Y. You will enjoy the trip.

Reactions: Evoforce