Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term SFO airport parking experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share my experience with long term parking at SFO with my Model S Plaid. I was on a 2 week trip overseas and I parked at Millbrae BART. I chose the BART station since my departure and arrivals were during daylight hours so it would be convenient. My previous experience with a Model 3 Performance parked for 1 week at another parking lot near SFO was a little anxiety inducing since I left the car at 88% and came back to a car at 18%. If there would have been any delay of more than a day during that trip then I would've came back to a dead car.

This time around on my Plaid I charged up to 93% at South San Francisco superchargers being that they have the best price around. After charging I drove to Millbrae and parked at 91%. I turned off Sentry and turned off cabin overheat protection. On my 2 week trip I woke up the car about 4-5 times just to keep tabs on what the charge was and if these power saving measures really made a difference. It turns out they did and I came back to my car after 2 weeks with an 88% state of charge. This was phenomenal and I now have much more confidence in long term parking if I have to leave the car for more than 2 weeks. Obviously if I had access to a 120 V receptacle at the long term parking I'd definitely leave Sentry and cabin overheat protection on. But being that I didn't then it's still doable without it.

P.S. the S has amazing cargo room. I was able to fit 2 large 29" checked in luggages and 2 carry-ons in the trunk without having to even worry about folding the rear seats down. Additionally I could have still put a carry-on in the frunk, carry-ons or backpacks in the sub-trunk, or folded the seats down for even more room.

Even my Y would have trouble conveniently accommodating all that cargo as both my Y and my 3 would definitely require folding the seats down or getting creative with the big 29" luggage pieces.