Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long trip AC fails when supercharging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened to me on three long trips now. 180 miles in and plug into the charger and the AC fails and will not work again for 12-24 hours.

Rebooting and power cycling do not work.

Third time it happened it was in dog mode with my dog in the car!!! Got back and it was up to 80 degrees.

Brought it in for service after the first two incidents. They said it was the expansion vale sensor fault and low on coolant. I think they go no clue.

Anyone else have this issue?

OK I had this same issue over the weekend. For the record I just got the car last week. We took it on a 4 hour road trip. The way up the AC performed marvelously. Coming home we went through about 2 hours of heavy rainfall to a Supercharger. The rain had stopped and the weather began to clear and warm up. For the final 2 hours of the drive it became sunny, hot and humid. The AC at that point became ineffective and the cabin temp equaled the exterior temp. The fan was working fine but the air was nto super cool. It was certainly not blowing hot air but it was not super cool by any means. We arrived at a restaurant and parked the car for about an hour. After lunch we got back in the car to finish the final hour of the drive and the AC was operating correctly again and cooling the car.

OK I had this same issue over the weekend. For the record I just got the car last week. We took it on a 4 hour road trip. The way up the AC performed marvelously. Coming home we went through about 2 hours of heavy rainfall to a Supercharger. The rain had stopped and the weather began to clear and warm up. For the final 2 hours of the drive it became sunny, hot and humid. The AC at that point became ineffective and the cabin temp equaled the exterior temp. The fan was working fine but the air was nto super cool. It was certainly not blowing hot air but it was not super cool by any means. We arrived at a restaurant and parked the car for about an hour. After lunch we got back in the car to finish the final hour of the drive and the AC was operating correctly again and cooling the car.
Thanks for another data point on this problem. It sure looks like there's a software glitch that peeks out under certain circumstances. The more information owners document about it, the quicker Tesla can hunt it down and kill it.

Lucky yours sorted it’s self out so soon. Mine typically takes over night. I think the car needs to “go to sleep” and be “woken up” with the app.

Just dropped my 3 off for my second attempt to get it fixed. They can track mine down to the evaporator valve throwing faults. It’s been replaced once. This time they are checking it and all the wire bundles and harness and some other hvac components.

Reactions: Fossil Fool
Thanks for another data point on this problem. It sure looks like there's a software glitch that peeks out under certain circumstances. The more information owners document about it, the quicker Tesla can hunt it down and kill it.

I initially thought that. Based on some very detailed emails with the Sr Tech at my local service location I tend to think the evaporators valves are defective or something in the wires or harness that’s throwing the fault. They can see a lot of errors from the valve sensor. I tend to think after lots of use and the heat of supercharging some connection gets loose between the valve and the computer and it needs time to cool and reset.

Reactions: Fossil Fool
I initially thought that. Based on some very detailed emails with the Sr Tech at my local service location I tend to think the evaporators valves are defective or something in the wires or harness that’s throwing the fault. They can see a lot of errors from the valve sensor. I tend to think after lots of use and the heat of supercharging some connection gets loose between the valve and the computer and it needs time to cool and reset.

One additional item in my case was that during supercharging we were sitting in the car and both my wife and I heard a single pop that came from under the front of the car. We both kind of looked at each other and said what was that. Once the AC problem occurred I kind of connected that to the start of the issue like maybe something had gotten frozen up and a pressure valve had released. So it sounds like they should be able to see something in the logs ? I plan on telling them about it when I take it for my first servicing to see what they have to say. Good thing is I have had no issues since.

One additional item in my case was that during supercharging we were sitting in the car and both my wife and I heard a single pop that came from under the front of the car. We both kind of looked at each other and said what was that. Once the AC problem occurred I kind of connected that to the start of the issue like maybe something had gotten frozen up and a pressure valve had released. So it sounds like they should be able to see something in the logs ? I plan on telling them about it when I take it for my first servicing to see what they have to say. Good thing is I have had no issues since.

Mine has done it every long range drive I have taken.

They called me eod yesterday to let me know the car was fixed. Wire to the evaporator valve had “chaffed on the chassis of the vehicle” causing intermittent HVAC system faults. I’m driving it to NYC area tomorrow and will supercharge on my way in to test it.

Hopefully it’s good.

Side note. After 6 days in a locked chill mode s85d the acceleration feels bonkers fast.

Hope this helps GF_B get theirs fixed up.

They called me eod yesterday to let me know the car was fixed. Wire to the evaporator valve had “chaffed on the chassis of the vehicle” causing intermittent HVAC system faults. I’m driving it to NYC area tomorrow and will supercharge on my way in to test it.

Hopefully it’s good.

Side note. After 6 days in a locked chill mode s85d the acceleration feels bonkers fast.

Hope this helps GF_B get theirs fixed up.
That sounds like a legit fix, really. Glad they finally got it sorted out for you. I would not, however, be too happy if they called me Eod.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Any updates from service? I just had this issue in my Model Y. About 3 months old. Took on first road trip from Southern California to Phoenix. After 2nd supercharger stop, car just got hotter and hotter. Realized no cool air from vents. Thought it was shunting air to keep battery cool or something. Auto kept the AC indicator off, but fans at 10. Fan just put out hot air. Turning on AC did not change anything. No warning lights. Drove 2 hours through the desert at end of July with no AC. Windows open just barely kept things manageable. Temp gague was reading between 130 and 135 the rest of the drive (My phone said 118 was the local temp) My poor dog was overheating in the back. Once at destination, the car rested in garage for 1/2 hour but kept cycling fan up and down rapidly ever second or two. Took to Tesla service center but they said they could not even look at the issue and were closing for the weekend. Their techs were going to leave in 10 minutes and they did not send someone to really look at the car. And said they would have to hold the car till at least Wednesday before they could do anything. Offered to pay for a loaner (without paying for gas) but I would have to have driven back to Phoenix from SoCal to pick up the car once done. I just brought the car back to our rental place. Fan stopped cycling after another couple hours. AC did not work though. Leaving the car alone overnight and hoping it will power-cycle and fix itself based on what I’m reading.
Also, an interesting thing - at the second supercharger, before we realized the AC was apparently shutting off, while waiting for charge, I saw the indicator for the funk on the display open and close multiple times, though of course the frunk itself was shut and no one was touching it. It did it at least 10 times or so and then stopped on its own.

Any updates from service? I just had this issue in my Model Y. About 3 months old. Took on first road trip from Southern California to Phoenix. After 2nd supercharger stop, car just got hotter and hotter. Realized no cool air from vents. Thought it was shunting air to keep battery cool or something. Auto kept the AC indicator off, but fans at 10. Fan just put out hot air. Turning on AC did not change anything. No warning lights. Drove 2 hours through the desert at end of July with no AC. Windows open just barely kept things manageable. Temp gague was reading between 130 and 135 the rest of the drive (My phone said 118 was the local temp) My poor dog was overheating in the back. Once at destination, the car rested in garage for 1/2 hour but kept cycling fan up and down rapidly ever second or two. Took to Tesla service center but they said they could not even look at the issue and were closing for the weekend. Their techs were going to leave in 10 minutes and they did not send someone to really look at the car. And said they would have to hold the car till at least Wednesday before they could do anything. Offered to pay for a loaner (without paying for gas) but I would have to have driven back to Phoenix from SoCal to pick up the car once done. I just brought the car back to our rental place. Fan stopped cycling after another couple hours. AC did not work though. Leaving the car alone overnight and hoping it will power-cycle and fix itself based on what I’m reading.
Also, an interesting thing - at the second supercharger, before we realized the AC was apparently shutting off, while waiting for charge, I saw the indicator for the funk on the display open and close multiple times, though of course the frunk itself was shut and no one was touching it. It did it at least 10 times or so and then stopped on its own.

You sound like you have a different issue, but I'd definitely also mention the frunk thing to Service. I do find it interesting Auto was choosing to not use AC and ramp the fan instead though, like it knows it can't/won't enable it for some reason. To me, this will probably be a more easily discoverable fix just because of that.

Give this a try as it worked for a few of us, especially while in a pinch like in very hot areas.

1. Reboot the car.
2. Turn off Automatic air
3. Set it to 62 degrees, not Lo
4. Set recirculate to on
5. Take it for a drive

Fred

Update - I left the car alone for more than 24 hours. Did not touch it at all yesterday. This morning just checked, and the AC is working again. I think this is the same issue - AC stopping after a supercharge during a long trip. I’m going to leave from here early in the morning so can avoid the worst of the heat and try to get home with hopefully only 1 supercharger stop if possible.

There was a thread very similar to this last year. I’ll see if I can find a link to it, as I think the guy that had this problem on an ongoing basis was able to finally get it fixed. It took many trips to a service center, though, and IIRC it wasn’t really an obvious part to replace.

Hope I can find it...

Edit: OMG, I need to pay more attention to the thread I'm currently reading... it IS the thread I was thinking about from last year.

*sigh* I used to laugh at my Dad when he had "senior moments." Doesn't seem all that funny anymore. ; )

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
Update to my situation - We had our AC fail at the first supercharger. Needed to stop at a second one, and that time the car would not charge quickly at all. Kept starting charge then stopping then starting again. drove to nearest service center and they kept the car for two weeks, ultimately changing out three temperature probes. I went to pick the car up, and they had left it out all day in the sun, so car was boiling when we got inside. AC was blowing cool air (not as cold as usual, but not hot) and it took half the drive back before the interior was cool (but also farther away from the desert and temps were slightly cooler). So I remain concerned I could have issues if I tried to drive through the desert again. I'm probably going to take a test run in the next week or so and see what happens.

If it comes back after 12 hour+, it probably means it started working again after the car went to sleep and came back on. I had something similar happened to my A/C. Support call told me to do the two button reset, two button with brake press, and finally powered off and on reset. None of those works, but let the car sleep and it works again the next day. But for me, it only happened that 1 time in the 2 years. But I only supercharged it one time only... don't remember if it occurs on the same day as I supercharged it.