Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long trip planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very informative thread! Would you recommend taking a Model X 60D on a cross country move from Miami to San Francisco? We are looking at replacing our ICE with the X60D before our move and we are pretty worried about range anxiety. Anyone take their Model S 60 across the US?

The EV Trip Planner seems like a great tool. Any recommendations on what Model S model to input as the X60D?

I just got back from a road trip from Tampa to Chicago in my X90D (22" wheels) with 7 passengers and frunk and trunk filled with luggage. We stopped overnight at a relative's house in Atlanta and were able to charge using a 10-30P adapter + extension cable. I highly recommend this setup if you're planning on staying over at a friend's place.

Use the navigation trip planner to figure out which superchargers to stop at and how long to charge for. Expect to stop and supercharge every 100-120 miles for about 30 minutes on average. Keep in mind that some superchargers won't have bathrooms available if the nearby stores are closed.

We have a one year old in a rear facing car seat in the second row and noticed he was drenched in sweat a few hours into our trip. With the way the second row vents are designed, there's hardly any airflow that reaches into the car seat so we stopped by a walmart and picked up a usb fan that did the trick.

No Tesla HPWC at the Hawthorn? You know Tesla will give you one for free, right? I realize the Supercharger is close-by, but some might rather charge overnight while they sleep. Also, being that you're an EV owner, I would think you would install a J1772 charger to attract other EV owners.
Yes gavine, I have already applied for to have one from Tesla. I seriously doubt, that they will give free as the supercharger is within 1 mile of my hotel. But I am still interested in having one. Cost is something to think too, but they need to approve first. Otherwise, I will definitely think about J1772. Appreciate your reply.

Yes gavine, I have already applied for to have one from Tesla. I seriously doubt, that they will give free as the supercharger is within 1 mile of my hotel. But I am still interested in having one. Cost is something to think too, but they need to approve first. Otherwise, I will definitely think about J1772. Appreciate your reply.
@Milin1609 - even if tesla doesn't pay for it the HPWC with installation shouldn't be more than couple of thousand dollars. And you can get federal tax credit for some of it. Plus having it listed on your property's listing will definitely attract more business and more than payoff for the investment.

Reactions: gavine and ecrsail
@Milin1609 - even if tesla doesn't pay for it the HPWC with installation shouldn't be more than couple of thousand dollars. And you can get federal tax credit for some of it. Plus having it listed on your property's listing will definitely attract more business and more than payoff for the investment.

It'll put you on the map so to speak. Tesla's "find us" map and Plugshare.

I just got back from a road trip from Tampa to Chicago in my X90D (22" wheels) with 7 passengers and frunk and trunk filled with luggage. We stopped overnight at a relative's house in Atlanta and were able to charge using a 10-30P adapter + extension cable. I highly recommend this setup if you're planning on staying over at a friend's place.

Use the navigation trip planner to figure out which superchargers to stop at and how long to charge for. Expect to stop and supercharge every 100-120 miles for about 30 minutes on average. Keep in mind that some superchargers won't have bathrooms available if the nearby stores are closed.

We have a one year old in a rear facing car seat in the second row and noticed he was drenched in sweat a few hours into our trip. With the way the second row vents are designed, there's hardly any airflow that reaches into the car seat so we stopped by a walmart and picked up a usb fan that did the trick.

How did you fit 7 people's luggage in those two areas? You must have a lite packing crew.

Thanks. It definitely worth some research. I will give it my best try to get it.